cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving calls saying I called them, I did not

K_Smith
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Ugh, I feel I know the answer is I have to get a new number, I'd rather not. Pain in the butt. Scammers are using my number I assume. Should I wait it out a day or will this persist? Anyone have experience with this? 

10 REPLIES 10

yes this happened to me today and also last week.  First one was text saying who is this  and how did i get theri number.  Today i got called and left voicemail saying you called me and now you wont pick up...and proceeded to call me like 6 more times...I couldnt blcok it since it was unknown caller...but the first one had a number???

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@K_Smith wrote:

I don't have any VOIP services installed. I will message moderators.

Good stuff - while waiting for the mods' response, check your call history in Self-Serve if just for your own peace of mind.

K_Smith

No, they are not people I know. And they are not trying to get personal info from me, they are returning "my" call. It sounds like a scammer is contacting them with my phone, and some of them don't awnser and call "me" back. 

alanbrenan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@K_Smith wrote:

Excellent!

My advice to you that while waiting for your response - if you feel comfortable - attempt to download known + trusted VOIP programs, register and deactivate. In my research I found that the reason behind people getting calls from your number outside of spoofing would be that someone who signed your number up to a VOIP program prior to you having it is now making calls with the program. Ensure that you research the programs prior to registering, to make sure it doesn't do anything you wouldn't want it to do with your number.

K_Smith

koimr1

Ugh, phone numbers can be frighteningly easy to spoof.

First things first: check your phone's call log to absolutely ensure that your phone is not actually doing this. Then check Self-Serve as well.

Do you have any VOIP apps (Fongo, Hangouts, etc) installed? I have read of people having the same problem as yourself and that disappeared after uninstalling one of these (Hangouts was mentioned the most).

I would also urge you to contact the moderators via private message and report this - they might not be able to do anything but at least you'd be on record in case someone else did try and report your number.

alanbrenan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello @K_Smith!

I went ahead and did some research for you and found this thread!

The solution states if you download Viber, register and then deactivate your account, you could solve this issue.

The next time you get a call, ask the caller if they have any details about the call and see if you can find out what's going on.

EDIT: Ensure you offer absolutely zero personal information or information that could be recorded and/or used against you in the call.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@K_Smith  just a little clarification.

1) is it a new PM number or a number you have had a long time

2) is it from people you know ( assuming from your first post (scammers) it is strangers

3) are they trying to get personal info from you?

K_Smith

Unfortunately, it is not one number. It is many different numbers, they say I contacted them. 

closng

Hi @K_Smith,

That's really unfortunate. I have not experienced that myself. 

Are these different numbers that are calling you back telling you that you called them? If it is just the same number calling you back over and over, maybe you can use the "block phone number" function on your phone (if that is available, not sure if all phones have this).

Need Help? Let's chat.