cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving Text Messages and call forwarding Internationally (Europe)

dwallans
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I'm going to be in Europe for an extended period, but would like to maintain my Public service with a basic plan. Would I still receive text messages while in Europe if my service is maintained? I don't expect to be able to receive or make calls, or to send texts - but I would like to receive text messages (particularly for multi factor authentication).

Secondary question, if I setup call forwarding to a VOIP line before leaving the country, would there be any issue with the service working if my SIM stays in my phone while I am in Europe?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

HI All, 

anyone knows if Google Message can do the same thing?  If i leave my phone at home, turned on and use Google Message to receive SMS/MMS.. I can see those messages when I am on another tablet or computer if I set up ahead of time, right?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dunkman , @Anonymous : Call forwarding doesn't need the phone on in Canada. That's only relevant if going to the states where call forwarding would break upon connecting to a us tower. Text forwarding however...

@dwallans : There are apps that can forward your inbound texts out to somewhere else. That would indeed need the SIM in a phone and on in Canada. So no you wouldn't be able to keep the SIM in the phone in Europe.

Yes you can forward your phone calls to a voip app. Don't hit a us tower though or it'll break.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dwallans 

at public mobile not offer service to Europe only to U.S.

you can do call Forwarding but you need to keep your line open in canada to you do that..review 

Call Forwarding (publicmobile.ca)

anywhere has a Wi-Fi Free,

and use a app Textme or Talkatone, and you will getting new canadian number for Free from that app,

• Unlimited Call \ SMS \ MMS a Free USA/Canada.

Here link for app Talkatone.

Here link for app Text Me.

enjoy your trip.

don't forget to review Reactivate a suspended plan (publicmobile.ca)

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@dwallans wrote:

but I would like to receive text messages (particularly for multi factor authentication).

HI @dwallans , you should look into other way to receive Multi Factor Authentication, like Authenticator (best) or email (not as safe)

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@dwallans 

Unfortunately, Public mobile does not offer any international roaming except for the USA (where you need to purchase 10 day roaming packages).  Unable to receive international texts while in Europe with Public mobile service.   

Others can offer advice on call forwarding to VOIP while away.  You may need to keep your PM SIM card in a working phone in Canada for that to work.  

Need Help? Let's chat.