cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving International Incoming Text On "Textless" Plan

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I currently have a family member on an old legacy plan ($20 unlimited provincial calling). This plan doesn't include texting, but as we know, incoming texts are usually always included. If I send texts to their number, it works fine.

However, they're currently attempting to receive texts from the US, but these texts are not coming through.

So just wondering if anybody has any idea of whether or not incoming texts are supposed to be free/work, if they so happen to be sent from an international number? If they're supposed to work, any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7

Wolfcore

Got it solved, but thanks for the help, appreciate it 🙂

Wolfcore

Sorry for the late reply. I had already tried another phone, and was still not receiving them. So instead, I tested my own theory and.... It worked.

I guess that old plan did not support incoming international text. Immediately upon switching to the current $15 plan (which supports international text), the texts started coming through, and now they work. So that's all it was.

Essentially, my family member was just trying to do a gmail password reset, but because the reset verification texts are sent internationally (from the US I assume), they couldn't reset their password and access their email. Just adding this in case somebody in the future runs into this issue.

Anyway, good information to have on hand for others who may ask. Now we know. Thanks for the help anyway @softech 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Check her phone settings. Make sure her Preferred Network is set to 4G instead of 5G, because AT&T 5G doesn't work, so if she's connected to that nothing will come through.

And this shouldn't matter, but turn on Data Roaming anyway (don't worry, there are no surprise charges).

Then verify she's connected to AT&T (4G) of T-Mobile (4G or 5G).

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

If I may weigh in, @Wolfcore , is the individual currently physically within Canada or the US?

Also, was this individual previously able to receive these?

I presume they’ve tried the rebooting device, resetting network connections, toggling airplane mode on and off thing …

It would be interesting if they might be able to try their SIM card in another device. (if using physical SIM)

@Wolfcore you check the usage log and see if you can find the text showing on the log?

honest, phone company just got the incoming calls/text and really shouldn't "discriminate" text from US.  But it is an older plan and maybe the system really set with an extra level or checking before delivering the text.

And you text the sim in another phone just in case it is an app issue (maybe ache problem)?

Wolfcore

I actually tried doing exactly what you suggested with Textnow, and even used a different online texting service, but neither worked.

It's a very odd problem that I just can't seem to figure out. Thanks for the info and suggestions though, appreciate it.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Wolfcore 

for phone service, voice and text usually won't have any different with local or overseas.  So, if she can receive text from a Canadian number, she should get text from US number too

You can also try download VoIP app TextNow, pick a US number and try texting your family member with that 

Need Help? Let's chat.