cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a "Public Mobile here" offer

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

They sent two messages. The offer on Thursday Nov 16. Then the typo-corrected version of the offer the next day. 

$25/month, 5GB data at 3Mbps "3G speed"

But hurry, of course, because offer ends Monday November 20. I don't see it listed anywhere on the Plans and "Black Friday Sale" pages.

This was a good deal. I had a very interested referral. An interested referral who happened to work all weekend and end up disappointed that there wasn't any time to sit down and get it done.

But seriously, advertise on Friday for a sale which ends on Monday? There just wasn't enough time for my referral to take the deal. Even with me providing a PM SIM card and offering to do the activation and account setup, number port, APN configuration, etc. (To avoid the always-inevitable delays caused by SIM card availability/shipping, uncertainty, testing and troubleshooting, support tickets, etc.)

One one hand, the providers keep trying to lock people into 30-day or 1-year or 2-year contracts. They provide incentives for "loyal" subscribers who provide steady, regular, dependable, predictable revenues.

One the other hand, the same providers keep on trying to "hurry" people. Here's a killer offer which expires in a couple days, take it now quickly do it do it before it's gone! "Flash sales" and weekend promos are not going to attract much stable business. Instead of getting the sale, this rush-rush-rush pressure sales approach just ended up making my would-be referral go elsewhere. It makes Public Mobile look like the sort of shady business which will continually push and pressure with annoying nickel and dime upsells.

Whoever thinks up the marketing should probably start thinking a little beyond next weekend. The customers you want to attract aren't going to suddenly flock to a midnight tent which will be taken down in a few days (just before normal, legit business commences, lol).

4 REPLIES 4

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Korth_   As mentioned this offer is targeted so no-one outside of the ones receiving the text can take advantage of it even if they wanted to. 

Two out 3 family accounts also received this offer this time around (none received it during the first round), including one account that is inactive.  My line apparently didn't qualify for this promotion. 

Having said that we're unlikely to take up this offer even though I believe it's an excellent offer and more than likely I would have switched to it if given the opportunity couple of years ago.  However, should PM ever offer 2GB (with/without unlimited calling) for around $20, I'd more than likely switch my line but that's another topic!

What I'm not getting is the strategy behind this decision to offer this only to a select number of customers via text who are on the $15 plan as I'm inclined (maybe wrongly) to think they'd get many more customers willing to upgrade their plans if given the chance.   OTOH, it's extremely unfair for those already on the $25 plan since there is no way for them to upgrade or receive this particular offer and I'd think they have a right to be very upset about this..

dwh1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Assuming the concern is about people in general not having time - well, it was a targeted offer, so if it wasn't sent to you, you're not eligible.  So your referral who needs a SIM and activation wasn't eligible in the first place.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

It actually came out last Thursday. But that's how it works with PM. They offer a great deal, but limit the time for you to think on it. With that being said though...  getting the text midday Thursday and having till late Monday to look it over and think about it?? That's more than enough time IMO. 

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This offer is targeted, I believe, to customers via email who are on the $15 plan and not advertised on the main page.

Need Help? Let's chat.