cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Poor phone reception

mp8770
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Having the same issue. Unbelievably bad reception on calls and was told to set my network to 3G. Isn't that counter productive? Everyone is eliminating 3G and going to 5G.  I am using a Google Pixel 6a. Can anyone help me out?

3 REPLIES 3

@mp8770 

yes, you can try to change the Preferred network type to 3G and test the calls

and you are correct, there is a tradeoff, if you chang to 3G and stay with it because the voice quality is better, your data speed will be slower, will be maxed out at the 3G network speed

In terms or VoLTE, all our account should already been provisoned, but you can message Support again to confirm. 

And with PM, also with Telus, the network setting will hide the VoLTE toggle on Pixel and iPhone, there is no way to turn it off.  But you can check other Google user site, maybe they have trick and special function key or app  to toggle it off (if it can be turned off, then people can leave the network at 4G/LTE and the network with chagne it back down to 3G, it could be an ideal situation for people with VoLTE voice quality problem)

mp8770
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks @softech . I do not have a VoLTE toggle. But is your solution the same as setting my "Preferred network type" to LTE? I have an option to do that. If it's not the same, should I contact PM to mage sure my calling is on VoLTE? 

But back to my other comment, isn't setting my network to 3G or LTE limiting my data speeds? What's the point in a company saying they have 5G speeds when you have to set your network to 3G in order for you to be able to make and receive calls??

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@mp8770 

you have Pixel 6 and you should have been using VoLTE.  Check if you have the VoLTE toggle enabled.  No worries if that toggle is missing as PM likely have hide the option. 

And at least try using 3G and see if that helps the dropped calls and call quality.  Some are using VoLTE but due to network in the area, 3G still has the better voice quality

Need Help? Let's chat.