cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Moving to another Province

FRANCIS2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was in Mississauga, Ontario when I got the phone

After that I moved to Alberta and had changed the Province.

At that time it was quite easy. I just had to click on the top somewhere and select AB

Now I am back in Mississauga, Ontario and want to change it back to ON because I hear a message all the time saying that my calls within Mississauga or Ontario are regarded as long-distance calls because my phone is registered on AB.

That Menu Change Phone Number asks you to change the phone number and suggests a few number.  I want to keep the phone number the same. In fact my phone begins with a code 647 which is the Toronto code I think.

How to change the Province without changing the phone number. This is what I am looking for

9 REPLIES 9

@FRANCIS2 wrote:

At that time it was quite easy. I just had to click on the top somewhere and select AB

Now I am back in Mississauga, Ontario and want to change it back to ON because I hear a message all the time saying that my calls within Mississauga or Ontario are regarded as long-distance calls because my phone is registered on AB.

That Menu Change Phone Number asks you to change the phone number and suggests a few number.  I want to keep the phone number the same. In fact my phone begins with a code 647 which is the Toronto code I think.

How to change the Province without changing the phone number. This is what I am looking for

The fact that you moved from Ontario to Alberta and then moved back from Alberta to Ontario isn't a factor.  You've always had a Toronto phone number.  You don't need to change your phone number or your proinvce, and as others said, you never did make any change to your account.  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@FRANCIS2 wrote:

HI @FRANCIS2  , you didn't change anything to your account.  You just changed on your browser, which then cached to identify you were in AB.    There was nothing changed on the PM side.   And you still have a 647 number?

You won't get long distance charge for calling Mississauga.    Maybe reboot your phone.  PM has a glitch that calling will occasionally give you that error.  Reboot your phone, call by adding 1 in front of the 10 digits number

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@esjliv  Poster didn't change number so paying taxes does not change. Poster had 647 (Ontario) moved to Alberta (Kept same number 647) and now moved back to Ontario. So they have always been paying Ontario tax

@BeachNBeer  - I was thinking that too...the Public Mobile Community province connection...

Note, you will pay taxes as per your province the phone number/area code originates from. So if you change to AB, you will save $s.

BeachNBeer

@FRANCIS2  By chance are you thinking of just the website where it shows the province? 

Screenshot_20211225-120850_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211225-120941_Chrome.jpg

That is only for the website. Has nothing to do with your phone.

If you have a 647 area code than you have an Ontario number. Nothing to change or update.

If you want to avoid hearing the standard message about long distance call. Put a 1 infront of the number when dialing. Better yet, go through your contacts and edit each contact and add a 1 infront of their number. 

FRANCIS2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I moved to Alberta I did not change the phone number. I only changed the Province. At least that is what I think.  May be I am still on Ontario and I do not know about it. Waiting for the Moderator to tell me what is the correct registration I have.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@FRANCIS2 

@FRANCIS2 wrote:

You can't keep the same Alberta number and switch to Ontario province.  You will need to pick another new Mississauga Ontario number.  Your old Mississauga number is likely gone and taken by somebody else.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@FRANCIS2 wrote:

647 is an Ontario area code. Area codes are connected to the provinces they originate from. So it will always register as an Ontario phone number.

Where exactly are you trying to change the province?

If you had unlimited Canada Calling this will not affect your calls within Canada. But others calling you may have long distance charges depending on their individual plans.

BeachNBeer

@FRANCIS2  Put a 1 infront of the numbers you're calling. By putting a 1 infront. You shouldn't hear the standard long distance message. 

Need Help? Let's chat.