cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Beginner’s Guide to the Community

kN0th3d
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sep 22/21 I received these icons on my phone and I don't know what they relate to - the triangle with the exclamation mark on it, and a question mark beside blank bars.

- The triangle says "Android System" Data usage warning .

The question mark says "Sign in to network" ?? I don't want to sign into any network on the cell. We also saw that it said 2G of data. We signed up for ONE. I don't understand where that came from. We didn't order the preview. it 

- under the Settings on the phone it says 1g warning/5g data limit. We only signed up for ONE G.

- Do the LTE with arrows going up-and-down in the top right corner by the data bars mean

anything? What is it??? Does it have to be synced to my computer/??

- We have the WIFI button on. Is this OK?

What the heck am I missing? This is a lot to ask and I appreciate any help on this.

BTW - I can't find the "Moderators"

14 REPLIES 14

@kN0th3d 

What kind of phone do you have? It sounds like your phone is reporting your combined data usage. Both mobile and wifi data usage. Or possibly your accumulated data usage uf you do not have your data tracker set. There are no overages, extra billing or hidden fees with pm. You cannot go over your plan and/or Add on data it will simply stop working. Your self serve account will show your current data usage for your 30 day cycle. You can also look thru your daily usage logs to see the two daily 12 hour blocks of data usage that is reported per day.

@kN0th3d wrote:

It showed my data was up to 7g mid Sept. and climbed up to 30!!! On Oct 7, it said 30G. On Oct 10 it said 57.18!! I'm not a data user. I barely use up my 1G, so what is

you sure they are not 7Mb or 30Mb?  how can you use 30Gb Mobile data on PM?  It's not like you can't, but you will have to buy quiet a lot of Data Add-on?

Maybe the 30Gb is a total of Wifi+Mobile Data?  

are you on Android?  If so, best is to check your Mobile Data page and change the cycle start data and you can tell how much data you have used in the current cycle and which app used the data:

E-MobileData.png

If you are no iPhone, they can't easily track backward but you can reset the data counter now and it will start tracking from today.

Also, logon to My Account and check the Usage History.   Filter by the time you want to track, try to sort by Call Type and check all the Web Traffic and add them up. Please note that although you try to sort and they look sorted, still go through the different pages in the Usage History pages as the Usage history  look sorted but not really, the entries still everywhere in different pages

@kN0th3d wrote:

Oct 11/21

Good Day!

I have been wondering why my DATA is constantly climbing.

This all started in mid Aug. In August I figured that my data would be slightly over my 1G as I was evacuated from my town and used the data for looking for motels and checking fire updates. I haven't gone over prior.

It showed my data was up to 7g mid Sept. and climbed up to 30!!! On Oct 7, it said 30G. On Oct 10 it said 57.18!! I'm not a data user. I barely use up my 1G, so what is happening. Why did it keep climbing? Was it due to the motels and using their WIFI? If so, what was I dong wrong?

I finally thought that if I turn off the Mobile Data and Mobile Data Usage, it may help. It has. It's stopped climbing, however I can't send pictures. 

In Sept it was also telling me I had 2g to 5g. Don't get that as all I ever wanted and signed up for was ONE. It now says 5G data limit. Well that boat has sailed, hasn't it.  I don't want to pay any extra for more data. Just go back to my 1G at $25/mth

I don't know why it keeps going UP! I've checked the Data and it's on Data Saver, soooo????

Also, when payment is made, they no longer tell me the amount I've paid. Just thanking me for it. And these overages are probably costing me a fortune. Their text should tell me the amount. 

I just called *611 and it told me I have 1001.7 left on my data add-on. I DIDN'T ASK FOR ANY ADD-ON! WTF is going on? I just turned on the Mobile Data and it went up to 58.20. Isn't that supposed to go to ZERO as to what I signed on for?

I am really P-Oed at this. I need answers fast. Please and thank you

@kN0th3d    EDIT - toggle your Data setting on for sending/receiving MMS. Otherwise, leave this setting off unless you need it otherwise.

Have you ever created a Self Serve account? If not, create one here: https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/self-registration/

Once you log in, you under your Overview section. Can you post a snapshot of this area here? ...no personal info. please though.

All this data you are saying is being used, it sounds like you are looking at your device for usage. This can be misleading if your start date is not set the same as your cycle start date.

NOTE: plans are 30 days, not monthly.

Your Overview area would be the most accurate for data balance remaining.

Install an app to track your ‘live’ usage so you can keep track. Public Mobile are 30 day plans (not monthly).

If you are android, try this one:

Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detailsid=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use this one myself and it gives me what I need from it.

You could also check out Data counter widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roysolberg.android.datacounter&hl=en_CA&gl=US

If you are an Apple user, I am sure there is a 30-day app that is available as well.

Managing Your Data Usage:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kN0th3d : Please post screenshots of your overview page and payment history. Blank out personal info of course.

Edit: I see you've been having a bit of an adventure with all this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kN0th3d 

when your data limit used, is will off until next renewal cycle

at public mobile Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link to save your data...

turn off background data...

kN0th3d

Oct 11/21

Good Day!

I have been wondering why my DATA is constantly climbing.

This all started in mid Aug. In August I figured that my data would be slightly over my 1G as I was evacuated from my town and used the data for looking for motels and checking fire updates. I haven't gone over prior.

It showed my data was up to 7g mid Sept. and climbed up to 30!!! On Oct 7, it said 30G. On Oct 10 it said 57.18!! I'm not a data user. I barely use up my 1G, so what is happening. Why did it keep climbing? Was it due to the motels and using their WIFI? If so, what was I dong wrong?

I finally thought that if I turn off the Mobile Data and Mobile Data Usage, it may help. It has. It's stopped climbing, however I can't send pictures. 

In Sept it was also telling me I had 2g to 5g. Don't get that as all I ever wanted and signed up for was ONE. It now says 5G data limit. Well that boat has sailed, hasn't it.  I don't want to pay any extra for more data. Just go back to my 1G at $25/mth

I don't know why it keeps going UP! I've checked the Data and it's on Data Saver, soooo????

Also, when payment is made, they no longer tell me the amount I've paid. Just thanking me for it. And these overages are probably costing me a fortune. Their text should tell me the amount. 

I just called *611 and it told me I have 1001.7 left on my data add-on. I DIDN'T ASK FOR ANY ADD-ON! WTF is going on? I just turned on the Mobile Data and it went up to 58.20. Isn't that supposed to go to ZERO as to what I signed on for?

I am really P-Oed at this. I need answers fast. Please and thank you

@kN0th3d 

My last post was not aimed at you it was more of a random thought musing to @softech . I apologise if you thought I was belittling you I was not and did not intend to do so...Im sorry.

If it was my long post with the data tips then I just thought I was being helpful nothing more nothing less.

What is the 2gb of data you are talking about? Can you give us a screenshot of how and where that appears in your account? Does it look like anything listed below?

Screenshot_20210920-093828.pngScreenshot_20210607-183003~2.png

kN0th3d

We DO monitor our Data Usage. How the 2g got in we don't know as well as the rest. We checked our Data - frequently - and it does say it's over slightly - and we have the Data Saver on. So if you want to belittle me by not checking things, I don't need this. 

@darlicious True, once they see the text about payment completed, they should check and reset the data cycle.  But most people I talked to seem to ignore the text and too lazy to do this.   And they are lucky that there are apps to do any minor thing for them on the phone these days  🙂

@softech 

I will never understand why people find it so hard to reset their data tracker every second renewal or so....screenshot their transaction and overview pages before and after renewal. Check your apps or data usage when you get a warning.?

Supposedly customers are attracted to pm because of the savings but that all goes out the window when people don't monitor their data usage or minutes. They skip personal financial management by not reviewing account charges, credit card and and utilities billing, bank accounts, card expires and the rest.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@kN0th3d   Data Usage warning and limit, you might want to disable it on Android phone unless you manually change the cycle start date every cycle.  If you leave it unattended, because of the 30 days cycle used in PM and phone cycle is monthly, they will be out of sync so much that it could cause issue.

Try using 3rd part Apps like Data Witness PM or Data counter widget to keep track of your usage on your phone.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kN0th3d 

Smartphones are smart but they can't really think independently. You have to guide them along a little as it is trying to guide you with icons and warnings to set up your phone to conserve your mobile data usage.

If possible you want to be able to sign in or automatically connect to free wifi networks. Set your phone to automatically connect to wifi. Sign in once and you will almost always automatically reconnect to that network when you are near it. That way when you are in line at the McD's drive thru you know you can check your email as you wait without using mobile data.

Here are some tips and tricks to conserve your mobile data usage.....

1. Turn your data saver on.*
  2. Set your data tracker to the correct calendar dates of your 30 day cycle.
  3. Set your data warning. ( I set mine to 25% of plan data**.)
  4. Set your data limiter. (I set mine to 50%.**)
  5. Turn off all background data in your app usage settings.***
  6. Set video content to play on wifi only ( or off altogether) in each individual app's settings.
  7. Turn off wifi assist for iPhone or the Android equivalent.
  8. For low data plans turn off mobile data and turn on when needed or to download MMS.
  9. Use free wifi when available.
  10. Double check that your phone is connected to wifi. Your phone can sometimes not automatically reconnect to wifi after rebooting, resetting or leaving/entering a wifi area.

*Android and iPhone's data saver tools work differently it is prudent to check settings in each phone's apps for such things as your photo app for device syncing, backing up etc.... Note: viewing or searching for backed up/stored photos can use considerable mobile data.

**Public Mobile sends out a text from 611 giving a warning at 75% and 95% of total data usage. If you have data add ons these warnings include both plan data and add on data.

**So if you just have 1gb of plan data you will get a warning at 756mb/1024mb and 973mb/1024mb. However if you have 1gb of plan data and a 5gb data add on (1024mb+5120mb=6144mb) these warnings will be recieved at 4608mb/6144mb and 5837mb/6144mb respectively.

**This is why setting your data warning and limiter is important so that an errant app's sudden usage can be noticed and/or stopped by your phone's data usage tools rather than relying on pm's limited warnings system.

***Background data can use up to 38% of your data that is pure wastage.

Get in the habit of taking screenshots of your overview page and payment history before and after renewal for record keeping and checking that your data and/or limited minute/text counter resets.

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I have used a third party app data manager to set data warning and limit amounts and it worked very well.

@kN0th3d wrote:

Sep 22/21 I received these icons on my phone and I don't know what they relate to - the triangle with the exclamation mark on it, and a question mark beside blank bars.

- The triangle says "Android System" Data usage warning .

The question mark says "Sign in to network" ?? I don't want to sign into any network on the cell. We also saw that it said 2G of data. We signed up for ONE. I don't understand where that came from. We didn't order the preview. it 

- under the Settings on the phone it says 1g warning/5g data limit. We only signed up for ONE G.

- Do the LTE with arrows going up-and-down in the top right corner by the data bars mean

anything? What is it??? Does it have to be synced to my computer/??

- We have the WIFI button on. Is this OK?

What the heck am I missing? This is a lot to ask and I appreciate any help on this.

BTW - I can't find the "Moderators"

"sign in to network" either means that your phone has connected to an open Wi-Fi network and requires further authentication before you can use that internet connection or that you're trying to use mobile data but you've already used it all up.  I would suggest logging into your Self Serve account to check if you have any data left in your plan and/or add-ons.  If nothing is listed under Data & Add-ons, this means you don't have any data left on your acount.

When it comes to your device's set data warning and limit amounts for Android, those settings won't work properly because Public Mobile's plans are not exactly one month in duration.

The people working in Public Mobile's customer service department are no longer referred to as moderators. They now have the title of customer support agent.

Need Help? Let's chat.