Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROAMINg - Europe

pmnc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

ROAMING - EUROPE
I know there is NO specific "roaming function" (except when travelling in the U.S.A.) in Europe.
If I am in Europe, I cannot make any call, nor send any SMS.
HOWEVER, I would like to receive a CLEAR and COMPLETE answer to my following question:
If I travel in EUROPE (Belgium, Switzerland, France), can I at least RECEIVE:
- phone calls
- SMS/textos messages

Thanks in advance.

16 REPLIES 16

LoL.. sorry  .. my fault 🤣

Start packing.. enjoy your trip  🙂

I find TextNow has better voice quality , but more ad

pmnc

And, by the way, I already use FONGO and also TEXTNOW... 😎

pmnc

NO NO!!! 😃
I am NOT talking nor referring to the communication application "Signal"!!
I'm just talking about the principle of an "electronical signal" of any call, communication!!

@pmnc Signals is  App calling. It does not really forward to phone number. 

To use Signals, both parties must  have Signal installed.  Signal just use your phone number for registration and login.  Signals is pretty much Whatspp if you have used that before

The VoIP that we can forward our PM phone number to is Fongo or TextNow.   When you register,  you get to pick a traditional  10 digits numbers like 604-xxx-xxxx or 647-xxx-xxxx .  They are real numbers that people from transition phone or Mobile phone can call.  The one who calls you do not need to install anything. 

For you, you install the app, and when people call that phone number and your Fongo or TextNow phone will ring (as long as you have Wifi or Mobile Data on)  Because these apps assigned you a real phone number, you can then call forward your PM number into this phone when you are on a trip

Try it first before you go on the trip. 

pmnc

OK! I understand quite well now.
I first thought that the "signal" (voice call to my PM phone) should reach my phone device (with the PM SIM card).
I now understand that the call signal just need to reach the server (which then, will forward my call to the IP phone number)
Am I Right?
Thanks again...

@pmnc  NO. 

If you just need to forwarding voice, you don't need to plug-in, always on.  Just forward the voice to VoIP phone number, you can turn off the phone

You  ONLY need to do plug-in, turn on and Wifi on all the time when you are away IF you want to do text forwarding using app.  

pmnc

Thanks again.
For that, even for PM voice calls transfert to IP number (which I already have), that means that I have to leave my phone in Canada (at least, the SIM card into another phone), always plugged, always on wi-fi in order to enable transmission to local (Canadian) IP phone number... (I suppose)

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@pmnc 

As mentioned the workaround is to call forward your pm phone number to your voip phone number. All incoming calling will go to your voip app and ring thru to your phone while on WiFi or mobile data with a local or international sim card. This can be done on the cheapest pm plan the $15 if you will be away for most of or more than 30 days depending on the timing of your renewal and you wish to schedule a change plan on next renewal to save on the cost of a more expensive plan.

Text forwarding is possible but a little more onerous. Download a text forwarding app like Mighty Text. Set up the text forwarding. Then place the pm sim card in a working cell phone that is left powered on and plugged into a charger so that it never accidently powers down. SMS texts will be forwarded to your phone or can be accessed via the internet by signing into your Mighty Text account.

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

pmnc

Hmmm... Maybe...
i "usually" do think about that kind of option...
This time... I didn't !!! 🤔 🙄
OK! I'm going to try BEFORE departure!!
Thanks again.

@pmnc still not what you want the most, forward your PM number to the VOIP app.  It works for voice but not text.  Not sure if that works for you.  🙂

pmnc

Thanks.
I already know all that (roaming is expensive) and that I can buy a SIM card from Europe (already done that several times).
Again, that's not the question...
The question is that I must be reachable in roaming with my Public-Mobile number.
AT ANY price.
Which is not possible, I've seen.
Therefore, in the midterm, I won't be able to stay with PM.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Doesn't matter if it's incoming or outgoing unfortunately, you can't do it with PM. With that said even other provider can be quite pricey for roaming in Europe, so you may want to go the route @softech suggests or actually purchase a local prepaid sim where you are going as it will not only be reliable but much more cost effective 

@pmnc   If roaming is critical, then yes, Koodo and Telus might be your choice.

But roaming is not cheap.  So, it's your call

pmnc

Therefore, one of theses days, I will have to cancel my Public-Mobile subscription (changing for something more useful and really working)  because, when travelling, it's TOO MUCH an hassle and a pain in the neck for me.

pmnc

Not at all a solution for me.
I already use TextNow (among others...).
My question does relate to organisations, people, registered accounts mentioning my Public-Mobile phone number and which/who cannot change that number unless I go through a lot of checking steps which I do not want.
I really do need to receive phone calls or AT LEAST texts-messages/SMS on my present-actual phone number from Public-Mobile.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@pmnc NO.  You cannot receive calls or text on your PM SIM, number

The only work around is to use a VoIP app like TextNow.  TextNow will give you a regular 10 digits number like a real number.  People can call and text you via that number.  You can receive calls and text as well as long as you have Wifi or Mobile Data.  With Mobile Data, get local prepaid data there, it is cheap in Europe

Please note that 2FA text will usually  cannot be sent to VoIP number

Need Help? Let's chat.