cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for those who switched out of Telus

adobochad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all, I have a question regarding those who have switched out from Telus.

I got some very good replies in a previous thread I mentioned, but I am missing one more piece of information that would be very important!

So currently, I have a device balance of around $40 left, and roughly 2 months left to pay it off. My question to any Telus users is what kind of cancellation fees did you have to go through, if any? Right now, on their site I see a $50 cancellation fee + device balance. However, I have heard from some other Telus users of different costs. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone who made the switch with a still-in contract could provide some clarity.

Thanks so much, can't wait to join PM!

10 REPLIES 10

adobochad

@bbdata thanks for sharing your experience!

I've heard that you will most liely get be charged a final invoice encompassing all fees. If any.

But I guess so far so good. Just have to wait for my SIM to come through!

bbdata
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@adobochad I had 9 months left on my 2 year contract and around $100 left on my device balance with TELUS.

I was on a month to month plan and I waited til about one week before the end of my billing cycle and ported over to PM.

I did not get any further bills sinces then, nor does any outstanding amounts show up in my TELUS account.

This is just my personal anecdote though, so YMMV.

adobochad

So I got this directly from the crtc website.

What does it cost to transfer my services? How much are my mobile cancellation fees?

You have to finalize any payments or resolve any issues with your current service provider before you cancel or transfer your services. Billing will stop as soon as your services are cancelled. If you have a contract, you may need to pay cancellation fees and any outstanding fees.

If you have a mobile phone contract, your cancellations fees are calculated as follows:

If you receive your phone or other device at a reduced upfront price (a "device subsidy"):

• The fee cannot be greater than the amount of your device subsidy.
  • The fee must reduce each month and reach $0 within 24 months.
  • The fee must decrease by an equal amount each month, unless it is a tab contract, in which case it must decrease by either an equal amount or an equal percentage of your monthly bill.

In all other cases:

• If you have a two-year or three-year contract, the fee is limited to the lower of $50 or 10% of the remaining monthly charges under your contract. The fee must reach $0 within 24 months.
  • If you your contract does not have an end-date, you cannot be charged a fee.

Your contract explains how to calculate your early cancellation fee and the amount by which your early cancellation fee will decrease each month.

If you don't know the exact fee you would pay to cancel today, contact your service provider.

it seems that I will have to be the lower of $50 or 10% of remaining monthly charges under contract. So I think that bodes well for me as in 1 weeks time, I will only have 1 month contract remaining.

Regardless, if I am charged more I will defintely file a complaint with them!

bryanbreguet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Luddite wrote:

Sorry not familiar with termination of service fees. Is it possible this refers to early termination when you have device balance? 

But this is exactly what the CRTC changed: the can only charge you your device balance. Not some additional $50 fees. I haven't heard of cancellation fees in years now.

Edit: ok looking into it, it seems there is no fee after 2 years. Still, I haven't heard of anyone paying cancellation fees in a long time. That is weird. I'd indeed love to hear from people with first hand experience.

adobochad

Hi Luddite, I suppose that would be the most likely explanation as I'm guessing these companies would clearly follow the no cancellation fees.

I suppose that is why I am asking if anyone dealt with a similar situation LOL thank you though.

Hopefully someone has first handedly gone through the same process.

I would absolutely love to take full advantage of this, but hopefully my impatientness doesn't come back to bite me. 

Sorry not familiar with termination of service fees. Is it possible this refers to early termination when you have device balance? 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

bryanbreguet

@adobochad wrote:

Hi, thanks for the reply.

No, I am currently on a 2 year contract, with about 2 months remaining. 

As for cancellation fees, I'm getting my information directly from here: http://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/mobility-service-terms

I'm getting this from the service term obligations post 2010. If this does become a problem, I guess I would send a complaint to CCTS? Thanks alot for your help!

cancel.PNG

Definitely, I'm shocked to see this as the CRTC was pretty clear on cancellation fees.

adobochad

Hi, thanks for the reply.

No, I am currently on a 2 year contract, with about 2 months remaining. 

As for cancellation fees, I'm getting my information directly from here: http://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/mobility-service-terms

I'm getting this from the service term obligations post 2010. If this does become a problem, I guess I would send a complaint to CCTS? Thanks alot for your help!

cancel.PNG

@adobochad There is no need to unlock a Telus phone. Phones locked to Telus/Koodo are compatible with Public Mobile. If you wish to unlock it later PM will do that for you for $50. PM Unlocking

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

bryanbreguet

I wasn't with Telus but I know the answer to your question. There is no cancellation fees. Those have been abolished a long time ago now by the CRTC. Telus will simply charge you for the device balance as well as pro-rating your monthly service fee (so if you cancel after 10 days, they'll charge you 33% of your monthly bill). That's all. Unless you are somehow still on a 3-year contract.

Where do you see the cancellation fee? If Telus is trying to charge you this $50, just remind them of the CRTC rules and that you'd complain to the CCTS.

Need Help? Let's chat.