cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for 4G dumb phone users: strong and weak points of your phone?

Natsu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

For about 3 years now me and my family have been using Ushining 3G phones (W182 and F230,  flip type & straight type). Prior to that we had been using Alcatel 3G phones (A192, flip type), but we found their key pads to give out too soon, needing phone replacement, and that's why we tried a different brand. The Ushinig phones haven't had any issues yet.

Thinking ahead. If you are currently using a 4G dumb phone or have recently used one, would you mind sharing the strong and weak points of the phone(s) you use(d)?

Thanks in advance!

Natsu

15 REPLIES 15

Natsu

The screen looks very similar to that of my Japanese cell phone, which is also a flip phone but counts in some cases as a smartphone because one can install apps on it. I guess, as long as I don't have a data plan, there will be no connection to Google, so that should work... thanks for the details...

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Natsu 

I can't see any reason the phone would be connected to Google play unless you searched for it on the browser as you cannot install any apps on the phone. You get the features the phone comes with that's it. I suppose it could be possible to download an app to a memory card installed in the phone but you wouldn't be able to use the app on the phone you would have to remove the memory card and put it in a smartphone to use the app? That's a complete guess on my part of course.....you could disable the ability to use data but that may also disable your ability to send and recieve MMS. Here's what you get.....

PXL_20230109_222736089.jpg

From top left to right : Recent calls, Messages, Contacts, Gallery, Media Centre (Music, Sound recorder, Video, FM Radio), Email (MS Ex Active Sync, Hotmail, Yahoo, Other), Browser, Notifications, Camera, File Manager, Tools and Settings.

Natsu

@darlicious

Thanks for the info! Since I don't use data, I can ignore that the browser is Googe's. But this very likely also means the phone has Google Play installed (which is what I don't want since then various details are reported Google while the phone is turned on). Theoretically, if data can be turned off, it could mean there is no way for the phone to connect with Google Play, but I don't know enluogh about the "how" to be certain. I should probably get my hands on one and check it out in detail and monitor the data flow details...

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Natsu 

I just looked on the ZTE Cymbal 2 and it has Google as the browser and that's it. Even the email feature doesn't have Gmail automatically available rather Microsoft, Hotmail and Yahoo.

Natsu

@darliciousand @hTideGnow, thanks for your replies.

I checked the specs for the TCL Flip and the ZTE Cymbal 2, and they both use AOSP, which makes me wonder how much Google stuff is on them and if they are leaking any data to Google (something I happen to not like). Will have to look into this in more detail...

Natsu

duplicate

Natsu

duplicate

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@LitlLdy 

Similar to getting "organic" certification a "rugged" phone shouldn't be able to call itself that until it passes the bf test. So far the longest lasting phones in his hands have been an RCA something or other and more recently the moto e.

@darlicious wrote:

@LitlLdy 

I'm afraid that Sonim does not pass the bf test. The XP-8 only lasted a few months in his hands and they only honour their warranty thru the original provider and the original owner. You can't even buy replacement parts to repair it yourself.

@darlicious , ohh no! I’m glad you let us know! Thank you. I’ll scratch that one off my list.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@LitlLdy 

I'm afraid that Sonim does not pass the bf test. The XP-8 only lasted a few months in his hands and they only honour their warranty thru the original provider and the original owner. You can't even buy replacement parts to repair it yourself.

I find the ZTE flip phone great as an emergency/backup phone. The sound is clear on phone calls, it has a loud speaker & I love the option of listening to the radio. My power was out for over 8 hours recently due to a storm & I plugged earphones into the phone (for an antenna for radio to work) & connected a small speaker to it & listened to the radio for over 8 hours & still lots of battery left. Little things like that made me happy 🤣. What I don’t like is that it doesn’t have speak to text (speak & it converts to text so you don’t need to type it, I have arthritis in my hands) nor a flashlight but works great for calling & I use my Bluetooth for calls which sounds very clear. No issues & a strong signal for calls!

@darlicious , your husband may like the Sonim XP3plus, I’m convinced I would! 🤣

Sonim XP3plus Telus Website 

Sonim XP3plus Website 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Natsu 

I was still using my Alcatel A392 flip phone on the daily when I joined pm in 2019. At that point it was 5 years old and still working pretty good with one slightly sticky push button. It worked well as a back up phone for another year being pulled out of drawer into the very dangerous hands of the bf every few months in between the regular destruction of or lost smartphones. Eventually fate caught up to my little flip phone and it got smashed by a log while he was splitting firewood. Amazingly it did come back to life the following day but without a working screen so it truly became just a flip phone. It sat in a drawer for another 8 months or so getting the occasional charge until my technophobe musician friend needed an emergency phone for the road and I lent him the phone and an account and he used the phone for another 8 or 9 months until he finally was forced into buying a smartphone for work. So despite the last few rough hands that have been on it my Alcatel A392 was still going strong (relatively) 8 years after I got it from telus.

I recently purchased the ZTE Cymbal 2 from pm's CPO department (well spring last year and again this fall) because it was practically free and they make great back up phones or back country phones having a long battery life, sturdy build and pretty good features (mp3 player, Bluetooth, jack work great for music), they take a micro SD card and the dial pad/ push buttons are big, easy to read and look like they will take a fair amount of use.....but of course I have only used it as a back up phone....in a drawer. The battery lasts about 2 weeks on but not being used.

hi @Natsu I helped a family friend to set up the ZTE one not long ago, worked ok, no complaints so far.  🙂

Natsu

Thanks for the hints. Have you used either of them yourself?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Natsu check the couple clam phone at the CPO site, they are ok

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/phone-section#phone-start

PM is moving away from 3G eventually,  so you need some thing that works in the LTE network for VoLTE

Need Help? Let's chat.