cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about US Roaming

hus1976
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hi
I was wondering if someone can help me regarding US roaming. I have an unlocked phone from US T-Mobile. If I don't take 10 day US roaming plan, will my phone still work in the US as needed for talk, text and data since public mobile may change to T-mobile once I cross the border. If it does change and my phone works then are there any roaming rates mentioned anywhere at the public mobile website?
Please let me know. Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Joel21

Yes I did reboot the phone (LG G3) multiple times with no luck.  I did send a private message to the moderators and I believe Simon_O made an update sometime on Saturday since I finally got online Saturday evening.  I was able to connect for 1 day out of my 3 day trip.  Not what I was expecting when buying the $20 add-on.  I have contacted Simon_O to see what change was made to allow me to connect.  I suspect my account was blocked from roaming even though I had purchased the roaming add-on.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Joel21 is this still an issue?  Did you try rebooting, as @xCameron94x suggested?  If that didn't resolve it, you may need to private message one of the moderators for assistance.  You can find info on locating and private messaging them at the link at the bottom of this reply.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Did you restart your phone after the add on showed up in your account?

Joel21
I bought the $20 us roaming add on through the 2 step process and confirmed it is present in my account info but I have no service at all. I am on a 3 day visit to Atlanta and I can't call text or use data with at&t or T-Mobile in fact roaming doesn't work at all. I called t mobile and at&t from land line and they believe it is a roaming setting on PM side that is not allowing my phone to connect , maybe related to "roaming class" in my account.
I have tried manually connecting to at&t and T-Mobile mobile networks with no luck.
I have an x in spot above signal bars where normally would have an R when roaming.
If anyone can help please let me know. Thanks

If you're activating it in the us. You'll need to do it over wifi. It's best to do it the day you leave.
Adding the us add on is a two step process. The first is adding the funds for it. The second is selecting the add on

So when you log into selfserve and you select the add on for the first time. That process will make you add the funds into your account. You can then select the add on after. Kind of complicated. You can not purchase multiple of the roaming add ons at the same time

@hus1976 wrote:
Thanks everyone for responding.
Has anyone used the 10-day US roaming plan? Does it work well? Can I activate the plan while in US? Let me know. Thanks

I haven't used it.

You can only activate it in the US through your selfserve account if you have wifi access (your data won't work before the add-on is activated, not even for the selfserve website).

hus1976
Thanks everyone for responding.
Has anyone used the 10-day US roaming plan? Does it work well? Can I activate the plan while in US? Let me know. Thanks

@stonechucker wrote:

If you want calling back to Canada only, an option is to use your WiFi wherever possible, and use an app such as Fongo to call and receive calls (while on WiFi).

The service is free, a low cost option exists to send real SMS messages (and receive) for about $3.

The Textnow app has free calling and free SMS 🙂 (with ads)

If you want calling back to Canada only, an option is to use your WiFi wherever possible, and use an app such as Fongo to call and receive calls (while on WiFi).

The service is free, a low cost option exists to send real SMS messages (and receive) for about $3.

Phone number available in almost all areas of Canada.

NOTE... A roaming data package with Fongo would also do this.

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You won't have any service on your phone if you don't activate a Roaming Plan through PM and leave the PM sim card in your phone. 

That means no texts, no calls, nothing. 

You will have to use a US sim card on a plan or activate a Roaming Plan through PM. 

Also note that some people have reported being able to receive text messages (not sending) even without the roaming add-on, but if it works for you it is out of luck and not an expected feature.

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

No it will not, because your SIM card is registered to public mobile. If you had a T-Mobile sim card it will work once you insert it, but you will need a roaming package to use your phone services in the United States if it has a public mobile sim card in it. If you dont have a roaming package you will not be able to use your phone at all, so you wont incurr charges

Need Help? Let's chat.