cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about 5G plan with out using 5G connection and data usage

Allport
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
  • So after finding out public mobile does not support my device on the 5G network but only after getting the 30gb 5G plan I have some questions and concerns.

Since the plan has 30gb of data on the 5G network and after that it has unlimited data on the 4G network, what happends if you never connect to the 5G network? Do I just have unlimited data? I check the app and it's counting my data being used but how valid is that? I'm not able to use the plan they sold me due to a compability issues they don't seem to know about.

Anyone have a similar issue? Curious to see how this will play out over all. 

7 REPLIES 7

dest1

Thank you.

@dest1 It's device dependent, but yes I'm sure. As long as your device can connect to their 5G network, you can use their 5G network on a 3G or 4G plan. Keep in mind that just because the phone is 5G capable does not necessarily mean it has the 5G bands needed for Public Mobile (e.g. some international phones won't). But it is not restricted based on you plan speed.

dest1

@DennyCrane wrote:

Even those on 3G plans get access to the 5G network, albeit at reduced/throttled speeds.

Are you 100% sure? I'know even those on 3G plans have access to 4G network, throttled to 3G speeds of course, but are you sure everyone has access to 5G network? I'm not talking about speed now, only connection.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Your 5G plan gives you 5G speed, not 5G network access. Even those on 3G plans get access to the 5G network, albeit at reduced/throttled speeds. You're good. Your plan is still as advertised. 

@Allport wrote:
  • So after finding out public mobile does not support my device on the 5G network but only after getting the 30gb 5G plan I have some questions and concerns.

Since the plan has 30gb of data on the 5G network and after that it has unlimited data on the 4G network, what happends if you never connect to the 5G network? Do I just have unlimited data? I check the app and it's counting my data being used but how valid is that? I'm not able to use the plan they sold me due to a compability issues they don't seem to know about.

Anyone have a similar issue? Curious to see how this will play out over all. 

Public Mobile only advertises 5G as a way of advertising a maximum download speed of 250Mbps. It's actually possible to get those full download speeds on the LTE network.  All Public Mobile plans give access to the same networks.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Allport  if I were you I would get a iPhone problem solved 😛

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hI @Allport 

yes, remember your 5G plan in fact is a 5G speed plan

so, you connect to the LTE network but you will get better speed than the throttled speed of 100Mbps for 4G plans.  

And also, you will still get unlimited data at 512, which is part of the plan you have, doesn't matter the network you connect to (LTE or 5G network)

Need Help? Let's chat.