cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QUIT DISCONNECTING ME

eamery
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

THIS IS RIDICULOUS! i HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A COMPANY THAT CUTS OFF PEOPLE'S PHONE ON THE DAY THAT A BILL IS DUE.  THE DAY IT IS DUE MEANS UNTIL MIDNIGHT, NOT IN THE MORNING.  I AM CHANGING PROVIDERS BECAUSE i CAN'T HANDLE DEALING WITH THIS INSANITY. DO NOT CUT ME OFF ON THE DAY MY BILL IS DUE. AUGUST 4 MEANS AUGUST 4 UNTIL MIDNIGHT, NOT IN THE MORNING. MOST COMPANIES GIVE THE CLIENT THE DAY AND THEN DAYS AFTER TIME TO PAY!!!! UNBELIEVABLE. 

16 REPLIES 16

@Korth It's not a done deal until CRTC says yes.  They rejected the Bell and Astral deal.They rejected the Telus and Mobilicity deal.

@cavemantoronto 

You may be right. But from what I've read, it's already a done deal. Rogers has bought (or is buying) Shaw, everybody knows that and Shaw has to sell and nobody else is in a position to buy it. They're just negotiating the fine details (price) of this transaction, the only things left undecided at this point are who gets how much money for what. (Including the regulatory bribes costs being paid out to CRTC.)

Rogers is already proudly announcing their acquisition and promising Good Things to consumers. Behaving as if they already fully own Shaw.

https://about.rogers.com/rogers-shaw/

@Korth Rogers didn't buy Shaw. They're trying to but it's not final. They're still different companies. It's not final until regulatory approval.

Rogers bought Shaw (along with Shaw Mobile and Freedom Mobile) but they'll need a year or two to modify the accounting and billing policies for all their new brands (and new subscribers) into a unified revenue stream.

So I'm guessing that Freedom (and Shaw) subscribers will eventually find their billing policies adjusted. They've already "agreed" to the Terms of Service, meaning they've already "agreed" the Terms of Service can be changed at any time and they've already "agreed" to the new Terms of Service before even being informed of the changes.

Rogers is an industry leader but they're also absolutely ruthless and unforgiving (and, dare I say, they're sometimes quite unethical) about milking money out of their customers.

@eamery 

As far as your complaint goes ... it's prepaid service. You're buying next month (next 30 days) in advance. Your old plan has "expired" (finished) and your new plan (next 30 days) doesn't start until you pay up. About the same deal as anywhere else.

Public Mobile does issue SMS reminders several days in advance. Not really their fault if you ignore the reminders and refuse to pay until after the last minute of the last day. Or that you choose to not use AutoPay.

Public Mobile does have an advantage you won't find elsewhere - there's no fees, costs, charges applied when your service is suspended and when your service is (re)activated. None of the moneygrab (ten bucks here, twenty bucks there, thirty bucks penalty, etc) that you'll get when you pay after cutoff on most other service providers. You can in fact allow your service to go dormant (get suspended) for up to 90 days without any costs or hassles, you don't have to pay for suspended days and your next 30-day billing cycle starts counting Day 1 the moment payment is received. Some PM customers deliberately do this to save money (not pay for phone service they won't use) when travelling/vacation/etc.

@softech 

Pm does have targetted winback offers....the recent 1gb/2gb for 12/24 months $25/$35+ plans (no one tested the theory that it was stackable with 2GBBONUS promocode?!!)

There was also a late 2019 offer I recall that was $10 off/12 months $15 plans and $15 or maybe even $20 off/12 months $25+ plans.

So they do exist.

Freedom is interesting.. they operate like a postpaid carrier.. they have winback promo too.. I wonder when will PM introduces Winback..

Freedom Mobile actually does give a 10-day grace period to prepaid ("Pay Before") customers for incoming calls and incoming text messages.

@eamery 

All prepaid providers work the same way with 30 day plans and disconnecting service when you don't prepay. In fact other providers require you to preauthorize your card and/or maintain a minimum balance. Pm does not do this and they are the only provider that gives you any grace period at all as the others cut you off at midnight....period.

Best for you to look at post paid providers if you are unable to pay for your services on time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@eamery : Oh not everything is roses and butterflies around here. But pre-pay is pre-pay. It's a revolving, renewable 30 day contract if you will. You agree to pay up front, and the company agrees to provide services for the agreed term. If you wish to continue then you need to renew that contract at the end of the agreed term.

@eamery wrote:

OH, it is so nice to see everyone standing up for Public. I am just used to companies that appreciate their clients and do give them a grace period (more than a few hours). 

No, we don't stand up for Public.  (in fact, we also complain and think PM could improve a bit)  We just been here longer and understand the business model a bit more.   

In this case, I think you ignored the text that was sent to you COUPLE DAYS AGO and you missed the payment.    (BTW, did you setup Autopay?  That would save a bit of your headache to keep track 12 midnight or 6am in the morning.) 

The usual mobile plan are usually Postpaid.  With Postpaid, you missed the bill and  they are graceful enough to let you keep using it, but they will start charging interest.  RIDCULOUSLY high interest rate, that's why they don't mind you to miss your payment, they profit margin is better with the interest they charge

what you got here with Public Mobile is a Prepaid plan.  You pay before you use the service.   The do have a grace period of couple hours.  But as I said, it's Prepaid

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@eamery   PM , and other Tier 3 providers, are running on a 30 days cycle, NOT monthly.  I am pretty sure with the 30 days cycle end last night.    Also, the wording on your My Account is :

Payment Due Before: August 4

In fact. , PM gives a 6 or 8 hours buffer and hence the service was disconnected this morning.

Understand you are upset, but I think you want to get your service back as soon as possible.

You can try to logon to My Account and pay manually there or dial *611

eamery

OH, it is so nice to see everyone standing up for Public. I am just used to companies that appreciate their clients and do give them a grace period (more than a few hours). 

I am looking at other companies now anyways.  I can't afford to be disconnected when rely on this service and to help my 97 year old father out. \

I guess I just interpret customer service different than all of you people

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Warnings are sent.. days before.. giving ample time to add funds if that’s how you pay.. maybe try autopay?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@eamery : I'm a fellow client. Most people posting here are too.

It's how prepaid works. Pre...pay.

eamery

HI ,

THAT IS RIDICULOUS. YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT KNOW THE MEANING OF CUSTOMER SERVICE OR APPRECIATING YOUR CLIENTS. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@eamery : Note the wording - Pay _before_ that date. That means pay up to 11:59pm ET of the day before. Prepaid does not do any grace time. Post-paid does.

Edit: there's actually a small grace period up to about 6am ET on that date where your services will still work.

Need Help? Let's chat.