cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting service on hold while out of country for two months

tonyzhang
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

My next 90-days renewal is coming up in early July, but soon after that I will be out of country for 2 months. What would be the best action? Obviously I don't want to pay while I'm not using the service, but I don't want to lose my phone number nor my rewards in my account. Is it possible to put the service on hold for that period of time while I'm away? Or is there better way to handle this situation?

Thank you,

Tony

17 REPLIES 17

@pm-smayer97, why are you bringing up almost exactly 1 year old posts?  We already have the solution to this elsewhere.

For a complete and up-to-date explanation, read the following:

Since I have only beaten you to the punch twice in 5 months, I've a long way to go to match your speed! Smiley Happy

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

You caught my mistake @Luddite Smiley Tongue

I tried to be stealthy and edit it in time, but alas I was too slow...

Cheers Smiley Very Happy

Kalla

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Thank you for the kind words @tonyzhang!

It was my pleasure 🙂

Cheers,

Kalla

@Kalla_A I think that will be Oct 15; 90 days after July 17?

tonyzhang

@Kalla_A Thank you so much! You are the best!

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @tonyzhang,

You had only deposited the funds, but had not changed the plan. Your plan became suspended because it tried to renew with your old plan and the funds were insufficient.

I went ahead and used the funds availble to put you on the $10 days plan. The expiry date is July 17th, so you don't have to worry 🙂 The deactivation date of your account has been pushed to October 15th.

Cheers,

Kalla

tonyzhang

@Kalla_A I need PM's help! I put in the $15 credit (16.80 after tax) for use with the 10 days province calling. I changed the plan so that the next billing it would take affect. I just realized my account is suspended because I don't know what happened to my $15 credit! Now my account shows no credit and I'm still on the 90 days plan, AND my account is suspended! Need help!

kaytus
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Thank you for someone bring up this topic..

I will be go back my country for one month..

And Thank  for the ppl suggestion.

@tonyzhang Your plan sounds correct to me. 

There have been a few issues with people changing and restarting their plans, so it might be wise to have a backup plan. For example, for phone calls you could try an application like that from fongo.com. It provides free calling across Canada wherever you are connected to wifi. I use it as a backup, and my sister has used it in Florida to call & text back to Canada.

tonyzhang

Thank you, @Kalla_A & @Luddite, your responses are really helpful.

I think the 10 days plan will work for me since I will need it for about 9 days before my trip in July. So for me, I should cancel my auto pay right now? After I cancel auto pay, do I just make a payment in the amount of plan+tax for the 10 day period that I will be using? Then after the 10 days, my account will be suspended for up to 90 days? Within these 90 days, I can make another payment for the amount of plan+tax to resume my service?

Hope I got that right.

Thanks,

Tony

It would be nice if PM had option where If we had sufficient credit in account and when on extended vacation, on top of disabling Auto-Pay but also disabling the take $$$ from your Credit reserve so that when you do return you still have the original $$$ that was left in your Self-Serve Credit Reserve.

@tonyzhang Here is a longer discussion of paying the least to save your number while away: seasonal hold

You also should be aware that your account will not go into suspension until there are no funds available. Be sure you turn off autopay.

So, for example, assume you have a $25 balance and choose the 10 day text plan which costs $10 plus tax = $11.30. When you activate the new plan your balance is reduced by $11.30 >> $13.70. When you reach the end of the 10 days a further $11.30 will be deducted >> balance now $2.40. When the end of that 10 day period arrives you have insufficient funds and your account is suspended.

Provided you reactivate your account before the 90th day of suspension all is good. If you miss by a day, your account and phone number are deleted, and you must reregister as a new customer.

Have fun while away.

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @makkahn28,

Yes, it will definitely minimize expenses: if @tonyzhang was to stay on his 90 days plan or even switch to a 30 days one, a lot of that period would go unused. 

Adding a $10 10 days plan, after maybe a month of suspension, will renew the account and bring the 90 days to deactivation countdown back to zero. 

I hope I was clear enough Cat Very Happy

Cheers,

Kalla

@Kalla_A, does using the 10 Day option allow ppl to min expenses to plans while at same time giving PPL the 90 Day rule prior to Deletion of account?

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @tonyzhang

The best option would be choosing a 10 days plan after your current 90 days plan runs out. Like that you won't have to pay for a plan you won't be using.

Even if you will be away for 2 months, making only one payment while you are away will be enough to keep your account active (e.g 10 days texting plan for $10). 

Cheers,

Kalla

Need Help? Let's chat.