cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchase additional text messages

bryanimrie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a very inexpensive plan ($10/mo) which isn't offered any more.  It includes 50 outgoing texts/mo, and for the first time I'm reaching this threshold.  Is there an add-on I can purchase to increase the amount I can send this month? I can see only an "Unlimited U.S. Text Only" add-on for $8, but with the "U.S." in the title I'm unsure this would allow for Canadian texts?  I don't want to change plans, just add-on the one time if that's possible.

10 REPLIES 10

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

MMS includes chatting(sending text) to a group of friends.

First, create a group of recipients from your contacts.  Then, send your message to the group. 

It is that simple... 

A poor men version of WhatsApp or Signal without using your plan data.  Another freebies from PM service.  Why go any where else...

@bryanimrie 

No, no wipe @LeePublic suggestion from your mind! ( lol...no offense @LeePublic ) As explained it is a fairly well known fact that we rarely speak of publicly that MMS is unlimited on that plan. So just change you SMS to MMS or send a pic with your message when you run out of SMS. Many members would love to have the $10 plan as it also comes with full speed 4G LTE data when gifted or purchasing an add on. Enjoy your ultra cheap $10 plan ( $3 w/no effort after 5 years!) because it's a keeper....I know I have one!

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you are finding yourself running up to the limit more often, I would recommend upgrading your plan to the $13/mo. plan. It comes with 100 minutes, unlimited texting, and 250 MB data with a $2 off auto pay discount. If you still want to keep the plan, you can renew early, just be mindful of how many times you renew, it might make sense to upgrade your plan.

@Anonymous   thanks., learned something new today

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hTideGnow : Yes. And MMS works even with no data on account. If you think about it, it makes sense. It uses a different method of transmission via the data connection and so bypasses the SMSC server that counts the texts coming from the device.

@hTideGnow wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can turn on data and send MMS texts though.

@Anonymous  this grandfather plan has limited SMS text but unlimited MMS?

Believe it or not but that is correct. Old $10 plan has limited SMS but unlimited MMS (as per one VERY knowledgeable member explanation).

Maybe that member can chime in and explain.

@Anonymous wrote:

You can turn on data and send MMS texts though.

@Anonymous  this grandfather plan has limited SMS text but unlimited MMS?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bryanimrie : You'd think there ought to be one but no. There was never one available to supplement that great low usage plan.

You can turn on data and send MMS texts though. Or indeed any of those voip apps like TextNow that need an internet connection.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@bryanimrie   you have a grandfather plan.  I don't think they offer Add-on for Canadian text anymore as all the current plan has unlimited text 

Would you consider getting a free VoIP number from TextNow?  That can  be your secondary number and it give you text for free for Canada and US. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Unfortunately, there no add-ons for text messages.  You could do an early plan renewal but you would lose any unused minutes.

You would need to contact a CSA to renew early.

Here’s when and how to contact our Customer Support Agents:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to our Agents. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to our Agents by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.
Need Help? Let's chat.