Did you mean: 

Public mobile double charges

AG_9339
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

Can someone help me please?

I presently have a subscription of 250 MB

& 100 minutes Canada talk wide.

I received a message about 1 GB for $15 which I thought will just increase my subscription. But now I am paying 2 subscriptions. I need your cancel the latest one please & want my money back. 

12 REPLIES 12

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

???

Uncle!

Thanks, @dust2dust . 

A year ago, it would have been a no-brainer just adding another data add-on. But... Preferring not to encourage / support their overinflated prices and stupid time limit for add-ons, plus hanging on to that $10($13) plan (it's perfectly fine for the other 345 days of the year), we'll likely go for a non-PM alternative for data access during the road trip. The advantage of a dual-SIM phone...

@softech wrote:

I think the text to add extra data is a GREAT idea and worth to continue (maybe with minor tweaks, see the end of post).  It is an convenient feature  for majority of PM subscribers to buy extra data  (saw so many posts about people unable to login My Account or forgot 4 digits PIN for various reasons and then complain about not able to buy extra addon)

Yes, it is hard for parents to control the kid's data usage. But PM has subscribers for different situations.  There are also who needs their data to live (like Uber drivers) and need to be "connected" at all time.  There is really no way to take care of all the "special cases". Afterall, PM subscribers and users are mostly adults, the parent-kids situation is certainly very low % amoung PM's user base

Parents should keep a closer eye over the kids accounts themselves, like texting STOP to stop those promo text, like regularly checking their My Account for usage and purchase (we saw one of two parents come and complains after the kids have done that multiple times, obviously parents should take some of the blame)

But of course, there is always still room for improvements to any GREAT system.  May PM can look into adding the option on My Account to opt out any text promos.  

PM is truly GREAT 😀👍😺

One of the big selling points, besides easy accessibility to reasonable pricing for low data users - a standpoint which Public Mobile has definitely abandoned in 2023 (and no, that $25/5GB offer was NOT sent to every account with a $15 plan!), was the "no overage, ever" / full cost control part, which made it so appealing to parents (or similar groups). It was the big distinction from post-paid carriers and some competitors. With these texts plus the monster data plan offerings, as well as that whole "we need to have your credit card info" mindset (ie no voucher-only-activations anymore, subscription is on by default and the card will be auto-charged if you don't go into your account and manage to find where to turn it off), that line to "the others" is awfully blurry to non-existant these days.

Not giving parents (or anyone, really) the option to have no credit card on file (without either pleading with the CSR or use the prepaid CC trick, both of which one has to come to the community to learn about) and at the same time sending tempting texts for overpriced data add-ons with essentially zero security threshold... This is not cool. 

You are blaming the parents for discovering a (for the customer) bad business decision. Yes, financial literacy is important. But what was wrong with the previous approach where the user logs into my account, of uses 611 with PIN to buy an add-on. If a kid did reach the end of data before the end of the plan cycle, that was a wonderful opportunity to teach financial literacy (with the options of going without data for the rest ot the cycle, or the kid needing to pay for the add-on from their allowance, or at least the parent knowing of the charge before it happened...)

You could blame those "who needs their data to live (like Uber drivers) and need to be "connected" at all time" for mismanagement of their data as well, if that text peddling overpriced data seems like their only data life line, no? They would be better off with a plan that a) offers them enough data to begin with and/or b) have the reduced data after reaching the limit. PM has been offering some fantastic deals on those plans recently, including for existing customers. If they run out of data in the middle of the plan cycle it's still cheaper to change plan immediately than paying for add-ons (one of my friends was offered a 3GB add-on for $40 at a time when the 20GB plan was $39 and accessible to everyone - all it took was logging into their account and switching plans immediately.)

Yes, Public Mobile is still a good option for certain usage groups. As a long time customer I still think that Public Mobile suits me very well. However I will not refer people anymore. The reality is that the majority of 2023 business decisions have made PM a not so great option anymore for a big group of people who this service was perfect for until recently.

@wetcoaster- I can't help as I haven't bought data in ages. I think if I were doing what you're doing I might deposit some money into the account and then use up the data you have on hand and THEN buy the new data without any hassles of adding money, it's already there. I have not been able to make any rhyme or reason as to which buckets they draw from from others experiences here and my own with even just the freebies.

@maximum_gato wrote:

Now I know how the bf was able to buy stupid priced data without accessing the account or 611 and sent two weeks apart. He still had 600mb and renewed and then bought another one!! Is there a transcript of the text floating around ?

Sorry, the following will be slightly off topic:

@maximum_gato  @dust2dust 

I feel stupid asking this, but I haven't found the right search terms yet to yield an answer to the question, and the CSR's replies indicates that they don't understand what I'm asking and why it's relevant... You guys might have come across this scenario, though...

Let's assume my $10 plan has some of the old holiday gift add-ons. Let's also assume that I know that I'll need more than the amount left on them during a road trip. If I'm adding a "new" data add-on with expiry date while I still have ones that don't expire, will the new one be used first or is the system depleting the "indefinite" one before going for the expiring data? If the later I have to come up with some other solution for data...

(I tried to guess by the way the system is using gifted and bought minutes, but there is no rhyme or reason to that one, outside of plan minuntes anyway?!?)

I think the text to add extra data is a GREAT idea and worth to continue (maybe with minor tweaks, see the end of post).  It is an convenient feature  for majority of PM subscribers to buy extra data  (saw so many posts about people unable to login My Account or forgot 4 digits PIN for various reasons and then complain about not able to buy extra addon)

Yes, it is hard for parents to control the kid's data usage. But PM has subscribers for different situations.  There are also who needs their data to live (like Uber drivers) and need to be "connected" at all time.  There is really no way to take care of all the "special cases". Afterall, PM subscribers and users are mostly adults, the parent-kids situation is certainly very low % amoung PM's user base

Parents should keep a closer eye over the kids accounts themselves, like texting STOP to stop those promo text, like regularly checking their My Account for usage and purchase (we saw one of two parents come and complains after the kids have done that multiple times, obviously parents should take some of the blame)

But of course, there is always still room for improvements to any GREAT system.  May PM can look into adding the option on My Account to opt out any text promos.  

PM is truly GREAT 😀👍😺

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

Now I'm just plain old mad.....its fido all over again. And that didn't end well.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

Now I know how the bf was able to buy stupid priced data without accessing the account or 611 and sent two weeks apart. He still had 600mb and renewed and then bought another one!! Is there a transcript of the text floating around ?

@maximum_gato- This has been happening for the last while. It's a text sent to accounts getting low on plan data that let's them all too easily and all too conveniently buy a data add-on simply by replying with a yes. This is rather troublesome for parents with kids holding the phone. They see the text. Sure, data, why not. Bam $15 charged to the registered credit card. No pin, no authorization, no pre-existing contractual agreement saying that accounts can be charged this way. Wasn't there a story several years ago about a user who brought the pin-less problem up with the company where disgruntled ex's could pound their ex's credit card with charges in 611. It stopped. Now it needs a pin. This should stop.

@J_PM 

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@AG_9339 

I can see how that could be confusing seeing as pm only used to text out targeted plan offers and freebies. It's only been 2 months since they texted out the offer of 5gb of plan data for $10 to $15 plan holders basically the $25/5gb plan. Data add ons are comicĺy poor value these days. 

If you have not used any of the data add on and it was recently added to your account then contact customer support and explain that the offer was confusing and it was added accidently. Ask nicely for a credit that you can use for your renewal. They will likely grant it.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

6ÿ

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

It's not a subscription. It's an offer to buy an add-on. That add-on will last 30 days and then drop out.

Need Help? Let's chat.