cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile’s Canada-US Promo Plans are Ending Next Week!

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

Telus-owned Public Mobile has updated its website on Friday to indicate an end date for its Canada-US talk, text and data promo plans.

These Canada-US plans were in response to ongoing plans introduced by Quebecor’s Freedom Mobile. We already saw Public Mobile remove the U.S. portion of its $34/50GB plan (that matched Freedom temporarily) and al... (also a Freedom Mobile plan).

Now, Public Mobile has indicated its existing $39/60GB and $50/100GB Canada-US 5G plans will come to an end on April 9, 2024.

Other promo plans ending on April 9 as well are the $29/20GB and $24/4GB 4G LTE plans.

Public Mobile’s Canada-US Promo Plans are Ending Next Week 

18 REPLIES 18

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

@RyanWoodward Same, I've had consistently great experiences in the US. The issues that are PM's fault and are causing confusing are:

-AT&T 5G doesn't work, so they need to stop allowing us to connect to it. It's an easy fix to turn 5G off, but many don't know to do that.

-Some iPhones connect to Verizon who is not a roaming partner. I've never had this issue on any Android phones, so I'm not sure if it's a PM issue or an iPhone issue. I can say that Verizon is a Telus roaming partner, so that again may be a PM issue. Manually connecting to T-Mobile or AT&T will solve this issue for the few that seem to be affected by it.

-The VoLTE whitelist is small, and many around here seem to hold onto old devices. This is partly a US carrier issue, and partly a PM issue for being so restrictive. The US shut their 3G networks down, so unfortunately VoLTE is a necessity to be able to make phone calls.

Aside from that, many forget to turn Data Roaming on because they assume they don't need to if they're on a Canada/US plan. This is 100% user error, and you'd have the same experience on any other carrier. Even though you have a US plan, you're still roaming on another carriers network (and as such you need to turn Data Roaming on).

I just set my phone to 4G preferred and I have zero issues.  Completely seamless. There are a few improvements PM needs to make though, as noted above.

RyanWoodward
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

That's interesting, i wonder if it's area dependent.  In the month i've had it, used the US side four times now, have had no issues at all.  Bellingham WA area.  My girlfriend was going to drop her current plan and get on the same one, but i think she's going to go with the freedom plan now (since it's still available). 

Fartlec

In our experience over the winter the can/USA plan is completely unreliable- not worth the frustration. The service needs to be seamless - which it is not

99% of the time you'll be grandfathered. Only in 1 or 2 exception cases has that ever not been true. Legally they can change your plan with 30 days' notice, but in practice they don't do that. 

RyanWoodward

So, have a newbie question.  When public ends a plan, do they end it like Telus and Rogers ends a plan, ie it's gone, you need to move to a new one gone.  Or, when PM talks about ending a plan, does that mean that if you're on it, you're on it until you move and it's just not available to new subscribers? 

I just left Rogers to come to PM for the can-us plan specifically and have been on it for just over a month. So, losing it will be unhappy, as i'll have to look for another solution (freedom i guess).  

ExiledFrmPublic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Nevermind extended, they didn't even wait until the 9th to kill them.

ExiledFrmPublic

>>Apparently "ends April 9" now means "ends April 9, 12:01am"...

ikr, right?  Pretty pissed that I did research into different plans/companies for nothing, thinking I still had today to get it done. 10am on the day and I'm ready to pull the trigger and it's dead already, lmfao.. What a joke.

saturna

I hope any existing customer who wanted one of the roaming plans or the $29/20GB plan, has scheduled their plan change before midnight. 

I'm not giving PM any more money to try if they are still available for new sign-ups as they are still posted on the plan line-up on the website. But for existing customers the roaming plans and the $29/20GB plan are gone. Apparently "ends April 9" now means "ends April 9, 12:01am"...

hi @LitlLdy with all the disappointment from the ending of the old rewards, I think PM will have some good plans for existing subscribers. Probably small promotion plan like those sms offer they sent

fixin1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@LitlLdy - Yes, it would honestly be a great plan for people or even light users. It would also be beneficial to match Freedom and put the $25 1GB plan to $19. Keep the $24 plan with 4GB and possibly move the $15 250MB plan to $10.

It would be great profit for PM because most or if not all parents will chose the 1GB or 250MB plan options. Maybe even having choices like either Unlimited outgoing calls or 500MB of Data for $5/month extra.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

I honestly thought that with everything going on that the $24/4GB 4G LTE plan would stay and become available for all customers. It would be a good plan to replace the $25/1 GB 3G speed plan. 🤔 

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

But you can only get it as an existing customer, it shows it's available to new customers but when you try to Activate an account the payment fails to go through every single time. 

Resulting in you having to sign up on the $34, and than switch to the $29 the following month which is an inconvenience for some. 

It should just let us pay and Activate with it from the beginning.

@Priority ? It's available to existing customers now.

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I can't help but wonder how the $29 • 20GB is ending if no one could get it in the first place, it never even started? 😏🤔😤

Jedi1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I had not noticed yet, thanks for posting. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@LitlLdy 

thank you for this info. It's a good reminder if anyone is considering one of these plans to get 'em while they're still available.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

My assumption is they'll be extended, but that's never a sure thing, so don't procrastinate if you're interested. It will largely depend on what the competition does.

The $24 and $29 Canada only plans also show the April 9th expiry.

fixin1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@LitlLdy - Thanks! I was almost worried that the $34 Canada-wide 50GB was ending as-well, but not yet.

Also this is my new account from @fixin , it is kind of mixed right now.

Need Help? Let's chat.