cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile reliability for use as a Land Line - My Results so far

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Being that I am expense conscious and do like reliable products and services. 

Having a phone for family use is great......having and supplying a phone to allow me to be barraged with politicians, scammers, and surveys are down right annoying.  

Originally I had a plain jane Telus land line. 

Telus supplies the power 

Local calling. 

I think I had a small 911 fee. 

My Panasonic  land line provides power to the base station in the event of a power outage. 

Blocking calls is based on the Panasonic hand set and can only do 50. 

Telus, I believe has an option...not sure if costs more....not sure if you can review what you block. 

If we move.....reinstall becomes a task and an appointment to keep. 

Then moved to voip.ms. 

The reason voip.ms.....you can program lots of variations......blocking was unlimited and can be viewed.

had to pay a monthly 911 fee. 

Lots of other options to choose or control. 

Was 1/2 the cost of Telus.  

No internet...no phone. 

No power...no phone. 

Canada and USA Wide calling. 

If we move.....reinstall is easy and same number. 

We had all inbound calls directed to voip box and both of our PM cell phones. 

It was very good until a DDOS attack took us out of service for 2 weeks. 

Then ported land line number to a PM $15 plan. And bought a ZTE box.

Cost is same as voip. And WILL go lower. 

Power outage today....ZTE and Panasonic land line both have battery backup.

Wow it was seamless!

Manual call forwarding has been used and is not difficult to use. 

Blocking is back to the 50 on the Panasonic hand set. And can view...but is not nice. 

Canada Wide calling. 

No 911 fee. 

If we move.....reinstall is easy and same number. SIM can be slipped into a spare phone too. 

If I moved to a newer link2cell Panasonic I would need another phone and drop the ZTE BOX. And would block and set DND on cell phone but still be able to make and receive calls on the Panasonic hand sets. 

Both options don’t need a wire connection or wifi. Just totally dependent on the Telus mobile network. 

5 REPLIES 5

Telus would like it to be set up for rural use and may even not allow activation elsewhere. But if you have the box then it's just cell. You can really take it anywhere there's cell.

It has phone jacks to connect a wired phone (or cordless base) to. It's a wireless access point for internet access.

Put the Public sim in and the phone and data works.

I don't use it or have it anymore. Someone stole it from my storage locker. Along with a couple old cell phones (and other things).

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Thanks I was wondering about that. A Smart Hub Box is intended for rural internet service?

Do you use one for calling?

@DennyCrane wrote:

From my personal experience I find blocking numbers to be ineffective. In reality many spam callers are spoofing legitimate numbers, and they'll rarely call you from the same number twice. 

Yes I agree. A spoofed number might call you one or more times for a week....and has.....but that’s it. But I have found something much much more effective than blocking. Both wife and I have the fullest contacts list of liked and unliked callers.....and are callers that we may “selectivity” decide to answer  (as their name is displayed). We then turn on DND to only accept calls from contacts list. Our voice mail covers us for callers that we errantly omitted from our contacts list. When that happens, we fix. So far no calls from “unliked” in contacts list.....but if we do a decision will be made to block or not and won’t be a spoofed number that we block. I always do a bit of research on the spoofed numbers to make sure we don’t know them by that number or won’t want their services. 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

From my personal experience I find blocking numbers to be ineffective. In reality many spam callers are spoofing legitimate numbers, and they'll rarely call you from the same number twice. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

A Public sim in the SmartHub box also worked for voice...and data.

Need Help? Let's chat.