cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile failed to port my number

leejoohy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

On March 13th, I tried to activate the Public Mobile SIM I got in the mail. At the time I also opted to port my existing mobile number from Koodo. However, the credit card could not be verified (I think i might have made a mistake entering the address) and the activation failed. The PM website told me to simply restart the process, however when entering the SIM, the webiste said it was invalid.

After several emails back and forth with PM as they tried to solve this issue for me, they finally agreed to send me a new SIM in the mail so I can start the process fresh, and offered to activate the account for me once the SIM arrives in the mail. They told me that my number could be ported afterwards in self-serve

March 27th, my account was activated. I subsequently tried to port my number on self-serve, but after clicking "check eligibility" I got this message: "We are experiencing difficulties in processing this request. Please contact Public Mobile for additional assistance." So I emailed back, informing PM of this issue.

March 30th 1:32pm: I get a text stating that my transer request (number port) has been sucessful. but this text message was received while my Koodo SIM was still inserted. and I was stilll able to call/text/use data with my Koodo SIM, and looking under SIM info in my phone settings it still had my original number attached to this SIM. I emailed PM, and they told me that porting usually takes a few hours so I should wait and see.

March 31st around 10:30am: Service on my Koodo SIM has ended. So I thought the porting was successful, and inserted my Public Mobile SIM. Looking at SIM info in my phone settings, my original number has still not ported over. Furthermore, despite my phone showing full signal, my phone cannot text/call/use data with the PM SIM inserted (I already tried following the Public Mobile instructions on APN settings). Strangely, when I log in to self-serve in Public Mobile, it states that my number is the ported number.

Now I have no service, either with Koodo or Public Mobile. Furthermore, my difficulties after March 13th somehow lead to my credit card being charged twice, even though I couldn't activate the SIM. I've been told by PM that this charge would be reversed to my credit card, but it still has not happened. So as it stands, I've paid to Public Mobile two months worth of service, and in return they have cut my service with Koodo and gave me access to Public Mobile self serve but have not actually given me mobile service.

Update: phone calls are now working, but still no data.

27 REPLIES 27

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jamespm wrote:

I'm having the same issues and will cancel, either or, Koodo or publicmobile, if the phone number glitch is not rectified. 

@jamespm have you contacted the moderator team for assistance?  If not, please see the details below for how to do so:

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

If you have a Porting issue, please also include:

• The number you want to port, PM sim number, old account number, old account name exacly as on bill

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

Additional Useful Information:

• Search PM-GUIDE (remove "-" during the search) to find some informative posts and answers to many common questions about Public Mobile

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jamespm
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm having the same issues and will cancel, either or, Koodo or publicmobile, if the phone number glitch is not rectified. 

@herohoek wrote:

My account was activated.  PM unable to port my number over from Bell.  Thye called to say the pin number was correct.  Cannot find an option to resubmit with a different pin number current Bell account number.

You're usually best just to skip the PIN number.  The account number alone should be fine.  Providing 2 pieces of information like that is usually asking for trouble and more things can go wrong.  To resubmit a number porting request, you'll have to contact a Public Mobile moderator.  The message immediately above yours is by a moderator.  If you send a private mesage to Shazia_K, one of the moderators should be in contact with you.

herohoek

My account was activated.  PM unable to port my number over from Bell.  Thye called to say the pin number was correct.  Cannot find an option to resubmit with a different pin number current Bell account number.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @lilyrose

I'm sorry to hear about this, 

Can you please send me a private message with

-Public Mobile SIM card #

-The phone # you are porting

-Account # with your old provider

Thanks, 

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

lilyrose

I have the same problem.  Am trying to port over mobile number from Telus to Public Mobile.  I have emailed PM my problem which is error message saying "We are experiencing difficulties in processing this request. Please contact Public Mobile for additional assistance." but no reply to my email dated December 28th in regards to answer to the problem porting over the number.

Please help...I have tried multiple times to port over the number.  My support request is (#1443-2261) that has remained unanswered by PM to date.

graemering

bilal
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Sweet

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

That's great to hear.

Welcome to Public Mobile!

seikooc

Thanks Mansi and everyone here, my number is ported in, incoming, outgoing, data all work now.
Have a great weekend!

Mansi_G
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hi @seikooc - Our Support team is currently looking into your port request and they will get back to you if more info is required.

Daniel
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @seikooc,

Unfortunatly, there no way to contact PM directly, you'll have to wait until PM reply to your message.

They are currently trying to resolve many similar case at the same time, therefore I think this is why there's a longuer wait time than usual.

seikooc

48 hours now, no reply from PM, my number still cannot take incoming calls. the port in still not working...

called their 24x7 support number 855-478-2542 and 877-999-5055, both auto voice, no human answers

Is there any way to reach them to look into my account?

seikooc

thanks, sent them an email just now, hope they solve this quickly...Rogers is still charging me, double charges, no incoming calls...for a week, no wonder I feel so quiet this week...:D

Daniel
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @seikooc,

You should open a support request directly with PM. But you'll have to expect a response time within 24-48 hours.

seikooc

I ported in my phonenumber from Rogers to PM a week ago, just realized it cannot get incoming calls.

outgoing calls are okay, data on LTE. Incoming calls goes directly to my Rogers voicemail. Rogers said the number is still with Rogers!

I did go through the port in process during the sim activation and got confirmation say ported in sucessfully.

when I enter my number and go through port in process again in selfserve, it says:

"We are experiencing difficulties in processing this request. Please contact Public Mobile for additional assistance."

PublicKooTellUS
My Same Problem Sometimes you HAVE. to TALK to a HUMAN BEING TO get a concerned. PERSON trying to Help You!

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Considering that your ported number was transferred to Telus, instead of PM, I don't see the logic in believing that PM was at fault. Bell transferred the number; it's not as if Public Mobile can withdraw a number from another carrier's database.

As much as I empathize with your inability to speak with a live representative from Public Mobile, I believe that, in this case, blame should be placed squarely on the shoulders of Bell.

Porting can be dire at times, BUT, as long as YOU gave all info as accurate as possible, Porting should NOT be as dire. Takes practice. 

janet_e_ruderma

I had the same problem. Public Mobile insisted it was a problem with Bell. It took over a week of phone calls with Bell to discover that the phone number had been successfully ported to  Telus! I called Telus to confirm that what Bell had told me was accurate and it was. Telus managed to get the issue resolved, but it took talking to a person. Because I am a new Public Mobile customer, I can never speak to a live person from the company. Self-serve, a "community" and e-mail doesn't work when there is a serious problem. Please tell Public Mobile to provide live customer support.

hunnybunny
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
I am having the exact same problem. It keeps telling me my phone number is invalid when checking eligibility. Mine is with telus and was recently moved from koodos prior to that. I'm going to send pm a message and hope they can solve this.

Martin
Legend
Legend
yasirmaboob,

I contacted PM on your behalf, and a community team member will communicate with you sometime tomorrow.

yasirmahboob

that 7 time victim was me too. now i am going to face the same problem as this person has faced, same message is keep poping up. "difficulti facing during elegiblity checking, contact PM:"

Martin
Legend
Legend

leejoohy,

You can be assured that DK was right. Yours is not the first problematic situation that has arisen when porting from Koodo to PM.

Welcome to Public Mobile!

leejoohy

The issue has finally been resolved. After telling the customer service rep who has been dealing with the issues in my account, I later got a call from someone from Public Mobile, notifying me that my number has finally been ported.

@DK It seems like you're right and the fact that it was a transfer from Koodo might have been the reason for the issues. I can't be sure though, since Public Mobile never gave me an explanation.

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Try to private message one of the mods here like Mansi_G or one of the others with the link to this thread and they will help. There seems to be hiccups when transferring from Koodo as they use the same setup for there computers on the back end.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
But wait PM is in Beta so it's OK to charge people credit cards and make it look like you haven't. I would consider my self lucky you were only charged once there have been nemeromous reports of people being charged up to 7 times. All I could do is wish you Good Luck.
Need Help? Let's chat.