cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile connection on ferry from Vancouver (Tsawwassen) to Victoria (Swartz Bay)

nuttygamer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hopefully not too stupid of a question.

For those who take the route from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay frequently, how is the connection while sailing on the crossing?

I am looking at the coverage map and I see that everything is fine after Galiano Island, but my biggest concern is the space between Galiano Island and Tsawwassen.

I know that cell tower radio signals are radial, meaning it comes out in a circular pattern and in theory if cell signal cover Saturna Island it should pretty much cover the crossing.

I just don't want to be hit with roaming charges having to connect to a US based tower as it crosses into US territory initially when leaving Tsawwassen.

6 REPLIES 6

From 1988 on as BC Cellular first went into business later becoming BC Tel Mobility and then TELUS Mobility, they have had the best network in BC including the crossings between the mainland and Vancouver Island. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

AE_Collector

@darlicious wrote:

@nuttygamer 

Of all the times crossing with pm and when I was with telus I had no issues with service. ( Freedom used to cut out before you even got to the terminal on land!) If you want the free WiFi especially when it's busy connect and stay active to maintain a connection otherwise you will watch the cut me of death for half of the trip hoping to get on the internet.

No truer words have been spoken about the BC Ferries Wifi lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@nuttygamer 

Of all the times crossing with pm and when I was with telus I had no issues with service. (Freedom used to cut out before you even got to the terminal on land!) If you want the free WiFi especially when it's busy connect and stay active to maintain a connection otherwise you will watch the circle of death for half of the trip hoping to get on the internet.

Edit: circle/ cut me?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShawnC13 wrote:

but then again I am not looking at my phone the entire ferry trip over to the mainland.  

@ShawnC13 in the interest of scientific curiosity, we're going to need to ask you keep your eyes glue to your phone on your next crossing.  Thanks!!!

giphy

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@nuttygamer wrote:

Hopefully not too stupid of a question.

For those who take the route from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay frequently, how is the connection while sailing on the crossing?

I am looking at the coverage map and I see that everything is fine after Galiano Island, but my biggest concern is the space between Galiano Island and Tsawwassen.

I know that cell tower radio signals are radial, meaning it comes out in a circular pattern and in theory if cell signal cover Saturna Island it should pretty much cover the crossing.

I just don't want to be hit with roaming charges having to connect to a US based tower as it crosses into US territory initially when leaving Tsawwassen.

I live in Victoria, and one thing that can't happen is roaming charges.  PM is prepaid so if you haven't purchased a roaming add-on you will have no service.  As for the coverage, there are spots out there with no coverage I am sure, but then again I am not looking at my phone the entire ferry trip over to the mainland.  

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@nuttygamer    I cannot answer your question as I don't live in BC.  But no worry about Roaming Charge.  PM is prepaid service, you won't get charge extra (no unexpected roaming fee, no overage charge)

The only thing you worry is that if your Network selection is set to Automatic, it might see a stronger signal from US providers and it will  try to connect.  But it won't connect as you didn't pay the Roaming package.  So, you will have no service.  To avoid this, you might want to select Manual Network selection ahead, and pick Public Mobile so the phone will stays with using Public Mobile

Even you really need US Roaming, you have to buy it first and can only use it for 10 days.  

Need Help? Let's chat.