cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with activation

brownec
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello. I really hope someone can help me as I am clueless on how to proceed.

I tried to activate my Public Mobile sim yesterday. In doing so, I tried to transfer a number from Koodo - from searching here I was under the impression this was possible as I was a monthly customer, not Koodo prepaid. It brought me through the whole process, including paying and setting up an account, but at the end navigated to a page titled “Generic Error”. I got no emails from Public throughout the process.

I shortly got a 611 text with a new pin, so I assumed I screwed that up and would have to try the process over again.

Imagine my my surprise when I woke up this morning and saw a message from Koodo that my service had been cancelled. Public Mobile also charge my credit card. I can not log into the account I am supposed to have created during activation yesterday. I also cannot create an account because I have no service and therefore can’t receive texts. My old Koodo sim no longer has service, and I do not have service on my public mobile sim. 

I am extremely confused and do not know what happened yesterday during activation. Some things obviously went through, as I got charged for service and Public apparently somehow cancelled my service with Koodo. However I have no service on my new sim and no account with Public.

j would really, really appreciate some help. I do have an alternate phone, but it’s a work line with an extension and can’t receive text messages. 

17 REPLIES 17

brownec

Well, I wish I had done that, my mistake! I did not realize this would result in what is increasingly looking like at least a day without my phone working. I am communicating with the mods and hoping that they can solve this as soon as possible. 

@brownec from my understanding koodo/Telus customers are encouraged to select a new number at activation and then contact customer support to port over your number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@brownec 

Yeah it's a peculiar situation. You got a different PIN but no email. It took your money. Koodo closed that side as happens with a port. But you got nothin' to show for it. 🙂

The mods will get you sorted.

brownec

OK, no carrier settings updated, and still no service on restart.

I tried the sim in my roommate's phone and it didn't work, so hopefully my phone is working fine.

I'll message the mods to see if they can help with this. Thank you everyone.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@brownec  As your credit card has been charged and your Koodo SIM no longer works it is virtually certain your account has not been activated properly. Only the moderators can repair it. 
To survive until service is restored try the app from Fongo or TextNow for free calling/texting on wifi. It's a good backup. 

@brownec 

One way to determine whether hardware issue versus PM service problem is to insert the PM Sim card in another working phone.  If the service works in the other phone, then it is a hardware issue.  

brownec

Just tried a network reset - still says No Service.

I know there are updates to my OS, it has just started prompting me (i have been avoiding it, lol, it always slows my old phone down). If that is a plausible solution I will try it, but given that I don't seem to have a public mobile account right now I think it might be more than a phone issue!

edit: ah, I will try to see if there's a carrier profile update. One sec.

I am sure gblackma is working on this I'll leave it with him.

@brownec try these 2 things iTunes as mentioned above by @Anonymous .

sync to iTunes
1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered, if not, go to step 6)
6. Disconnect and restart. From @luddite.

If that fails do a network reset. Thanks.

to reset the network settings on my Apple iPhone
  1. Touch Settings.
  2. Touch General.
  3. Scroll to and touch Reset.
  4. Touch Reset Network Settings.
  5. Touch Reset Network Settings.
  6. The iPhone will reboot. Once it turns on, the default network settings will be restored.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@brownec wrote:

My phone is an iPhone SE 2 (not the new one, the one before that) if it helps! 

Murkier waters for me but can you USB connect to a computer and run itunes and see if anything updates?

brownec

My phone is an iPhone SE 2 (not the new one, the one before that) if it helps! 

brownec

Thank you (and all of you) for your input. I actually did the activation yesterday at 5pm EST, so it has been more than 3 hours.

the PIN I was texted was different than the one I set up. The text said “your new PIN is ****”, if it matters.

I have tried the Forgot your Password link a couple of times, and it doesn’t recognize my email address.

i have restarted the phone twice and it still says No Service. When I try to calll 611, the call fails. The phone recognizes the sim as a Public Mobile sim - when I click on Network Selection it’s header is Public Mobile Services.

whenever I click create an account, it asks me for my phone number to receive a text, which is not working. 

@brownec 

Due to security breach at Koodo, some Koodo accounts have port protection.  Customers need to call Koodo to disable the port protection. 

However, it does not seem to just a simple porting issue.  If it was a stuck port, you should be able to at least call and text out (not able to receive calls or port).  Looks like also a potential account provision issue also.  

Try above suggestions.  If not working, you will need to contact moderator to help. 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Welcome to PM @brownec while you wait for the moderators. Let's try to get your phone working. What's the make and model of your phone?  Thanks.  Stay safe. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@brownec 

Wow. If only all new customers provided so much information.

The new PIN ought to have been the one you set up. Was it different?

Try restarting the phone.

Try the Forgot your password? link.

Try using a different browser or incognito/private mode or clear cache/site cookies and try that create account again. Not activation. Just account.

What is your phone saying? Is it showing Public Mobile? Can you scan networks and find and connect to here?

If it's not saying no service or emergency calls only or something then what happens when you dial 611?

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@brownec 

If you received the text message from 611 then the process has gone through. It will take a little bit roughly 3 hours for it all to finish. 

If you still are having issues I would suggest you contact the moderators directly through this link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Public Mobile doesn't have a call centre, on a very rare occasion they will call the alternate number you gave when you signed up. 

The moderators are like Public Mobiles customer service. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

You could also try using the live chat.

https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en

Need Help? Let's chat.