cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem sending pictures

ETusesPublic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sending a picture via text is unreliable. Data is on. Cell phone signal is strong. I'm only sending one picture, not multiple. Texts go through no problem. People text me back telling me pic didn't send. Because it works sporadically, I know it CAN work. Sometimes it sends instantly, other times it sits unsent for 2-8 hours then suddenly sends. Restarting phone doesn't help. It is a frustrating issue. (ie. from home this morning, pic sent to a local number, pic sent. From home, tried again this afternoon & pic is unsent 3 hrs later. This happens every few days to various contacts. None are international) Please help. Thanks 🙂

16 REPLIES 16

Be sure cellular data is active, and that your device is using cellular data (that it's not configured to prefer WiFi data when it's available, since MMS does not function over WiFi).

MMS attachments are indeed "unlimited" at Public Mobile. They do use cellular data but it won't be billed - each one is reported on Self-Serve usage as an "MMS Event" which consumes 0.000MB of billable data.

Be sure that the SMS/MMS app itself has the permissions it needs to access data, contacts, pictures, camera, etc. And if you're using something like iMessage or RCS which supports nonstandard extensions then be sure to configure it to send/receive standard SMS/MMS protocols instead. (Beware that iMessage will stubbornly "update" itself back to full-iMessage modes which break compatibility with standard SMS/MMS modes every now and then, requiring you dig into the settings and fix it again from time to time.)

Another thing to try:

In APN settings, "APN Type = default,mms"

"default" is supposed to always work, but Telus network preferences may not work on all non-Telus networks. "mms" is a forced compatibility directive from the device passed along to the network's SMSC/MMSC machinery.

@ETusesPublic 

On a regular basis you should go thru your apps>>storage>>and clear your cache vs data as the cache will open up storage space and allow your apps to work more efficiently. Clearing the data while it does the same thing it can cause you to lose certain things like pics in your messages that you may want to keep if they have not already been backed up.

@ETusesPublic wrote:

He did! Little known fact...Public Mobile connected him! 😁 

Good one @ETusesPublic 

😂

ETusesPublic

He did! Little known fact...Public Mobile connected him! 😁 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@ETusesPublic  - I thought ET phoned home? 🤔

ETusesPublic

I ran CCleaner and restarted my phone and tried another picture and it sent. Not sure if it this was a solution or if it was going to send anyway. I never know if a pic will send or not. But thanks for the suggestion and for trying to help! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ETusesPublic wrote:

Samsung Galaxy A11. Never had an issue with my phone. Cell signal is strong. No issues with high-speed internet. 

@ETusesPublic 

go to your app messages and do clear data.

ETusesPublic

I have no problem with data when using my phone. Always works great. Not a techie, not sure how to manually select 3G.

@ETusesPublic wrote:

Samsung Galaxy A11. Never had an issue with my phone. Cell signal is strong. No issues with high-speed internet. 

@ETusesPublic   try a different app.. maybe Google Message

ETusesPublic

ETusesPublic

I deleted it. Restarted my phone. Sent the picture again but it is still sitting there. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ETusesPublic 

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and you can try to reset network settings and Changing APN Settings,
for iphone

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords,

or visit  Here link, 

APN Settings On An IPhone

click Here link, 

How to reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  Here link,

APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visit Here link,

Select the brand and model of your phone, After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

and try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

for android visit Here link ,

for iphone  go to Settings > Messages > To turn iMessage on or off, 

Turn your data on to send a Picture Messaging in world-wide,

if your data is off and your home internet Wi-Fi is on is not going through the Picture or a video messaging, 

you have to do this to going through you will need to turn your data on to send a Picture or a video messaging in world-wide,

make sure your Data is on.

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,to refreshing your network,

*what is meant by rebooting the device turn off and turn it back on.

you might also want to clear cache for your messaging app and reboot and see

Also, consider using a different Messaging app, like Google Message , to send the MMS to see if that resolves the issue

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@ETusesPublic This has happened to me in the past and it ended up being an issue with my phone.

If you delete the unsuccessful pic msg and restart your phone, will the same picture send successfully?

@ETusesPublic 

In general, how is your data working?  Any issues?  

You may want to try to manually select 3G network on your phone.  To see whether that works better.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@ETusesPublic wrote:

Sending a picture via text is unreliable. Data is on. Cell phone signal is strong. I'm only sending one picture, not multiple. Texts go through no problem. People text me back telling me pic didn't send. Because it works sporadically, I know it CAN work. Sometimes it sends instantly, other times it sits unsent for 2-8 hours then suddenly sends. Restarting phone doesn't help. It is a frustrating issue. (ie. from home this morning, pic sent to a local number, pic sent. From home, tried again this afternoon & pic is unsent 3 hrs later. This happens every few days to various contacts. None are international) Please help. Thanks 🙂

do you have internet issue at the time when the MMS are not able to send out?  I wonder if you have week data signal or a device issue.  What kind of phone do you have? Brand/Model?

Need Help? Let's chat.