cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent blocked numbers from leaving a voicemail

treesontop
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Couldn't find anything recent on this issue. Surely in the year of our spammers 2022, the carrier must have a solution by now...

Like many people, I get spam calls every single day. I can block the numbers through my device, but all this does is send the callers to voicemail. I get an empty voicemail (just silence) EVERY SINGLE DAY from the SAME PHONE NUMBER, which I have already blocked on my device. I have no choice but to go in and manually delete the voicemail. Every day. 

Please, tell me Public Mobile has a solution for this. I will leave Public Mobile for another carrier who can actually block numbers if this continues. 

17 REPLIES 17

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@treesontop wrote:

Couldn't find anything recent on this issue. Surely in the year of our spammers 2022, the carrier must have a solution by now...

Like many people, I get spam calls every single day. I can block the numbers through my device, but all this does is send the callers to voicemail. I get an empty voicemail (just silence) EVERY SINGLE DAY from the SAME PHONE NUMBER, which I have already blocked on my device. I have no choice but to go in and manually delete the voicemail. Every day. 

Please, tell me Public Mobile has a solution for this. I will leave Public Mobile for another carrier who can actually block numbers if this continues. 

Since you noticed blocked calls are merely immediately diverted to voicemail, you might like to know that those calls specifically can be diverted somewhere other than voicemail - to the Canadian Lenny bot as previously mentioned, or to a dead end. When a call is blocked, or manually declined that invokes one of three conditional call forwards, all of which are set to public mobile voicemail by default. Blocked/Declined calls can be sent elsewhere by dialing these codes:

*67*0000000000# - Set blocked & declined calls to go to a busy/error/endless ring

*67*2264447726# - Set blocked & declined calls to go to Lenny the bot

##67# - reset blocked/declined calls back to default Public Mobile Voicemail

Another option to consider is setting up a free youmail.com account. They work by setting all three conditional forwards to their service instead of public mobile's voicemail system. You basically get free visual voicemail, as in you will just receive your voicemails as an email with a sound file attachemnt, as well as a text transcription. (for the first 20 with free plan). Even if the spam call results in a voicemail, I find it's way easier to just swipe-delete the message then having to dial-in to listen to and delete with the standard voicemail. You don't even need to install the app for thus to work after you have the conditional call forwards set.

Above that, if you actually do install the youmail.com app, it will assist and check their cloud database for spam callers in realtime as your phone rings and try to help immediately block or flag spam calls before you answer as well.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@treesontop 

Unfortunately Lenny would be wasted on a robocaller but @Nezgar has some options for your situation. I am experiencing a similar issue with my textnow phone # and I am due for one of my 3 daily spam calls. I should take my own advice here and redirect my spammer. Anyways review the different options and see what can work for you.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Fun-with-Conditional-Call-forwarding-and-...

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin 

@treesontop wrote:

Some phones have a builit in option to block all calls if no call display information is received or some block all calls from any phone number not saved in your contact list.  Howver, this won't prevent the person from leaving you a message.

I would suggest considering using an app to screen the call.. There are some that can be set to answer the call for you and then hang up, thus preventing the caller from leaving your a voice message.  Unfortunately, there's the possibility of people who you do wish to speak to getting hung up on.  You would also need to disable any stock software call blocking.  These third party apps usually don't catch the call quickly enough to prevent you from hearing your phone ring, but the process would be automatic.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I never really thought about this, but do any of the other carriers offer network level call blocking?

Even then, once the spambots have discovered that your number is active, they can just keep calling your number with different spoofed numbers, so will call blocking really help? 🤔

I have always just ignored all unknown calls by muting the ringing (let them hang up instead), never answer or reject the calls. Seems to be working, ymmv.

@treesontop wrote:

Delete Public Mobile is what's going to end up happening. Ridiculous.

Do you think other providers have solution for spam calls?

I usually get such calls in batches; one day 4-5 SAME message (border service stopped suspicious package) and then it is quiet for 2-3 weeks.

It will be nice though if PM could have an option to turn off voice mail so nobody can leave vmessage.

@treesontop wrote:

do they let their customers get harassed on the daily, or do they offer modern solutions to modern problems? Thanks everyone for the help on this. 

HI @treesontop 

While I think it is nice for carriers to provide some help in this situation (many of them provide the service for additional charge) , I don't think it is fair to blame carrier for "let their customers get harassed on the daily".   Like I got junk mail all the time, I won't say it is Canada Post's responsibility.

treesontop

Yep, that's the main thing I'll be looking for in my next carrier - do they let their customers get harassed on the daily, or do they offer modern solutions to modern problems? Thanks everyone for the help on this. 

benfatto

@treesontop "It is PM's fault for not offering call blocking at the carrier level."

If this is a critical feature for you be sure to check whether any carrier offers it before jumping ship. Anywhere else will be more expensive. 

treesontop

It is PM's fault for not offering call blocking at the carrier level. 

I will try Lenny, but I don't find the solution ideal. First of all, it relies upon me being available to screen every call. If I miss the call, they still get access to my voicemail. Second of all, my daily spam caller is a robo-caller. So only a robot's time will be wasted. 

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@treesontop 

but it's not up PM, all provider, it's the same issue and also that call scam it's not from provider, somewhere they take a phone number and them try to call to do some bad things. but be smart ignore and delete.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@treesontop   Don't delete Public Mobile yet.. check the Lenny solution, courtesy of @Nezgar 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Lenny-the-Telemarketers-worst-nightmare/t...

treesontop

Delete Public Mobile is what's going to end up happening. Ridiculous.

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @treesontop 

no option to that but it's annoye, just ignore and delete.

treesontop

I have tried everything, including answering the call and disconnecting it right away for days and days on end. It's honestly ridiculous that there is no solution to this issue, and as a result I will have to switch to a new carrier who offers number blocking. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@treesontop 

There is a good chance that the number you blocked was spoofed which will not show the real number they are calling from or generated on a computer.

PM currently does not have this feature and there is not much you can do except to ignore it.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Voicemail will auto delete in a few days. 

If you need voicemail....get used to deleting it. 

If you are conserving your outbound minutes you can control your voicemail from a land line. 

I have ave turned on my DND to only accept callers in my contacts list. So is easy to see in “recents” who the rogue caller is....number only shows....no name. In the past month over 2 phone numbers only 1 voicemail. 

pkaraa

Spammers with number blocked on device leaving voicemails.

No solution as of yet. 

I have tried picking up the call and repeatedly press "#" many a times till it gets disconnected, that number never calls.

Just sheer luck or it works on computer dialed spam.. not 100% sure.

Need Help? Let's chat.