cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postal Code Not Recognized

SeanXW
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am trying to start a new subscription with an eSim. When I was trying to make a payment, the system didn't recognize my postal code in Manitoba and showed me the following error message. I double checked to make sure the province was set correctly. How can I get the payment processed?

1000004406.png

I also tried changing my postal code to my old home's (also in Manitoba), but the payment didn't go through probably because the postal code does 

19 REPLIES 19

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Awesome, this is great news! I'll be making sure the Oakbank area is up to date when I call them on Monday. 

Thank you for sharing the end outcome. 

Hopefully by the next Cycle I can also have this resolved for my Referral.

SeanXW

Another update - google changed my postal code within 24 hours of me reporting that problem, which is a nice surprise. I was about to ask Priority to help mention my case to google when they call, but that's no longer needed. So if your postal code is wrong on google maps, try to suggest an edit.

As long as public mobile updates it's database with google with a monthly frequency (or more frequent), I don't anticipate next month's payment being an issue. We'll see.

Priority

Wonderful, let us know if there is any issues renewing and processing payment when it comes time of your renewal date. 

SeanXW

Just want to report back that I was able to complete the subscription with the wrong zip code that Google has. Then I successfully changed the payment method to my actual credit card. It did ask for a postal code when changing the card. I used the wrong postal code again and no error message.

Priority

Good to know, I do alot of Referrals within Manitoba locally, I've never had a Winnipeg one that didn't work only just this Dugald one however newer Winnipeg developments would also have this issue too. I wonder how long till I bump into this issue again with another Activation. 😔

HI @Priority 

i think it depends on the API where the postal code search lookup from. But possible most software backup search use Google anyway.  Canada post is to small for search software that lookup other countries as well

Priority

This is where my Google Business Contacts come in very handy, I have to call them regarding one of the details on my Google Business Profile this upcoming week anyway, so along with mine if anyone wants to provide another Postal Code that needs to be updated on Google so it works here I can request to have it done as well. 

I'm not worried about the 'proof' issues since the Business Contacts do and correct whatever is needed in order to keep your Profile Active. 

I'm sure if I mentioned these issues and what Postal codes to update and added in as a Business on Google, it would be worked on rather faster than if a regular Gmail/Google user tried to contact them and have it done. 

There really is no point contacting Google to tell them they're wrong. I fought with them for over 15 years. The postal code for my apartment building was wrong and it's for the apartment building on the street over from us. Best part, I shared a link with them directly from Canada Post and they actually had the nerve to say that proof wasn't good enough to prove Google was wrong. I finally contacted some higher ups at Canada Post and asked them to get involved. Only after a year of them fighting with Google it was finally changed. Persistence pays off! 

SeanXW

No I'm actually in Winnipeg, just in one of the newer neighborhoods. Thanks - it feels good to know I'm not the only one.

Priority

@softech I will try this on Wednesday or Thursday when i see the Friend Referral that I faced this issue with, since his Accounts have now been created with his Reloadable PrePaid Card, I'll see if I can update it to his actual one following your directions, I'll reply back here with an update.

@SeanXW that's exactly what was happening to my friend in Calgary, it was showing the house across the street as his Postal Code on Google Maps.

I'll also contact Google about the Oakbank area Postal Codes being added in, I have a Business Profile on Google so I have direct contacts and can get assistance very fast when I call Google.

Sean is yours also Dugald?

@SeanXW @Priority 

after the account is activated, try to update back to your own credit card without changing the "fake" address on Profile. And make sure you use browser with Incognito mode only and not regular mode or PM app.  When you update the card, the site  will ask you the name/card number/CVV/Postal code only, not address.  For the longest time, we understand PM only sends those info for posting payment and not address , so it should work 

Please report back if it works 

SeanXW

Thanks, this is the exact issue I have. In my case Google shows a postal code, but a wrong one as it's a postal code of some of my neighbours 500 meters away. I've noticed the wrong postal code on Google as well, but didn't know it could cause an issue like this.

I've suggested an edit to google maps and hopefully that would fix it. It would take a few weeks though. 

Priority

I just seen your reply, my suspicion is also very strong towards this issue being Public Mobile running off Google's AddressComplete.. so if Google doesn't recognize it yet, Public Mobile will just see it as a non existent place hence why we are facing this issue. 

I have a friend in Calgary I was mailing something to once and I thought it was weird that the Postal Code he gave me was like 0A1 but when I looked up his address on Google it showed up as 0A2.. I asked him about it and he told me it's because his house was a newer Development and Google was incorrect since his house was built in the last 3 years.. and i just noticed that's also someone who is joining Public Mobile in the next few weeks, so I'll be able to give an update if his works...

Priority

That guy never made a Community Account, so this is someone else in Manitoba experiencing the same issue I did with my Friend Referral earlier today. (They could also be in Oakbank.), however it seems most newer Developments with newer Postal Codes have this issue, so it's not just specific to Oakbank.. it could happen with Bridgewater or Rosser as well, depending on how new the Development is. 

Once Google registers those Postal Codes and assigns them on Maps, they will than work to complete payment on Public Mobile.. till than we have no choice but to use PrePaid Credit Cards + Vouchers. 

Priority

I had the same issue today with a friend referral who came to switch from Bell. Their Postal code was less than two years old because their home is a newer Development in Oakbank, Manitoba. (R5N) - I meant to take a screenshot of the 'Selected Plan not Available' as well, but forgot and only took the one included in this reply. 

Google Maps didn't even recognize his Postal Code as an Area when typing it in since it's to new, only Canada Post did.

Public Mobile refused to take it, saying that the Postal Code doesn't match the Billing Address, even though I hadn't even typed in a Billing Address, nor Credit card yet.. it was telling me that it didn't match before I even entered the Credit Card Details.

We also tried with old Postal Codes like the one my friend had with his old P.O. Box and Previous Home, but because they didn't match the current Credit Card Billing Address the Card would be declined and Payment couldn't be Processed. 

Everywhere else works with this R5N Postal Code(Bell, Banks, Amazon, etc..) but not Public Mobile for some odd reason.. I assume since EverSafe ID and address Auto-Complete is supported by Google now.. Public won't accept anything not recognized by Google?Screenshot_20230806_170109_Public Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20230806_173514_Samsung Internet.jpg

I made a post about it which @MetaMorpheusMob included a link to, however it was removed for no reason at all after I asked the Customer Support Agent for assistance. Here is the response I got from them, when I asked for them to apply and make this Postal Code accepted in their system and this is the message I got back from the CS_Agent: 

(Hello there! My name is Flavius and I will assist you today. Thank you for contacting us. I am sorry to hear about this situation, but I will do my best to provide you with a solution.

The issue that you are describing is a known issue on our end. Some postal codes that Canada Post issued are not yet included in our database, this is the reason why the website does not recognize the postal code of your friend. At this moment there is no fix for this situation, we are working on it but I can not provide you with an estimated resolution time.

- Flavius.)

So unfortunately this Activation came to a standstill until a resolution was made.. my friend ended up going to Co-op and buying a PrePaid Reloadable Mastercard, to which he registered with a different Address and Postal Code. He used that one for Payment and it worked. He will sadly be unable to use his Actual Credit Card until Public Mobile updates their systems and takes newer Postal Codes and in the meantime he will have to continue Payments on his reloadable card, or using Payment Vouchers after First Payment + Activation. 

You can get a reloadable + reliable PrePaid Credit Card from Canada Post for $10-$15, and you can load the Balance with Cash. You can also use a non reloadable card for the first payment only, and use Payment Vouchers every month after. 

Kinda inconvenient, I agree and so did my friend but going out of the way was still worth it compared to paying double with his current Provider on his current Plan. 

Fingers crossed they don't take this down again, it took me a long time to rewrite and explain. 😑

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I think softech is on to something here. That's a different kind of message and iirc we've seen that here before. Might have been to do with the workaround to picking up a plan from a different province.

SeanXW

Thanks! I'll try the prepaid Visa card for now. I'm in a new development and Google has my postal code wrong. They obviously are getting their database of postal codes from Google, not Canada Post, which seems to have caused the problem. I'll try to message them too.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@SeanXW 

when you make the subscription, did you pick the correct region and picked the correct plan for Manitoba?

not sure if support can help, but you can try message them

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

But a quick workaround is to buy a Visa Prepaid card, then you can enter the postal code and it will work.  Or course, you can try another card as well
after activation, you can try to put your own credit card back

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

You the dude from Oakbank in a new development ?

Need Help? Let's chat.