cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting over from other carriers not Telus or Koodo

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

I activate the PM SIM today from another carrier other than Telus or Koodo. 
The activation form asked for the other carrier’s account number and the S/N of my phone. On the “?” button it instructed to find the phone S/N to dial *#6#. This is fine and dandy but the S/N are alphabetical and numeric. 
But when you try to enter alphabetical letters it won’t allow you. Only numeric numbers so I entered my IMEI number but worried that it won’t port over.

For new members on PM activate their SIM, wouldn’t it be less confusing and change the label S/N to IMEI.

Just a suggestion.

9 REPLIES 9

Thanks RosieR,

When I activate the account, I didn’t ask SIMon for help but the form looked different from yours screenshot.

I recall it didn’t have Equipment S/N (IMEI) wording or I would have entered the IMEI #.

thanks for the screenshot.. let's hope they will change this soon.. 

Curious, Oracles can help to pass this up to the Mod for them to fix that?

This is what Simon says right now...

porting info asked.png

"or" is the operative word, meaning just one of two is required.  Not a lot of customers know what IMEI is, so the choice is clear (as mud lol) that one gives account number from the previous provider.

This post is not meant to disrespect anyone.  

RosieR

@HALIMACS wrote:

That's excellent information, @computergeek541 , thank you.

I wondered why the S/N was even being asked of the OP.  My go-to answer is to use the other provider's account number, and NOTHING else - minimizes room for error.

Thinking that S/N field ought to be removed from the activation form, maybe?    Add it to the wishlist, i guess...

The form has asked for device serial number for as along as I can remember, even when I first signed up. it shouldn't say that.  You're correct that ideally, only the account nubmer should be used. However, the IMEI and PIN are there as backup, but I believe that many times, customers do not know what the correct account PIN which can sometimes be confused with the SIM card's PIN, a device's unlock code, or the voicemail password.  In the case of porting from Speakout wireless, the account number shouldn't be used, but rather the IMEI should be instead.

That's excellent information, @computergeek541 , thank you.

I wondered why the S/N was even being asked of the OP.  My go-to answer is to use the other provider's account number, and NOTHING else - minimizes room for error.

Thinking that S/N field ought to be removed from the activation form, maybe?    Add it to the wishlist, i guess...

@HALIMACS wrote:

@BKNS27 

You write, "The activation form asked for the other carrier’s account number and the S/N of my phone."

Did it ask for both, or either to be entered?

Unless the form recently changed, I believe it only asks for/ requires one. 

I'd stick with the account number. 

It says that but a device's serial number can't be used. The carriers are not equipped to use that as porting authorization. If a serial number is used, the number porting will fail, even if the serial number is correct.   The Canadian Wireless Telcommications Association says: "Wireless-to-Wireline Customers – If you can, bring your wireless phone and most recent monthly bill with you when you visit your new prospective service provider. If you don’t have a bill, your new service provider will need to know your wireless telephone number and one of the following: your account number; your password /PIN; or your phone’s ESN/IMEI numbers which are located on the back of your phone under the battery. Your new service provider can assist you to identify your ESN (Electronic Serial Number) or IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity)."

CWTA | Wireless Number Portability

Please note that S/N and IMEI are not the same thing.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@BKNS27 

You write, "The activation form asked for the other carrier’s account number and the S/N of my phone."

Did it ask for both, or either to be entered?

Unless the form recently changed, I believe it only asks for/ requires one. 

I'd stick with the account number. 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@BKNS27 Next time skip the IMEI part. Just put your account number. That's all it needs. Adding extra information give it a higher risk of not working.

If it dosent work you'll get a text message that tells you to submit a ticket to the Moderators. 

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BKNS27 The porting page is wrong. S/N is never valid. Porting rules say IMEI, ESN, or MEID. The last two aren't used in Canada any more.

Need Help? Let's chat.