cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting out to Telus even if PM account is suspended?

Mobilix
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello everyone,

My PM phone number will be ported out to an EPP Telus account on April 14...

Only issue is that my AutoPay/renewal of my plan is set up for April 9.

If I decide to cancel my AutoPay and my PM account gets suspended for this reason, will be the porting of my number still possible 5 days after? Or should I pay a full month worth of my current rate plan just to make sure it goes through?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

46 REPLIES 46

@Mobilix wrote:

Ok so I got the confirmation from PM...

There's no exception, the account needs to be active to allow the porting out of my number to TELUS (or any other carrier)...

Now, at least it's clear even if it's not what I was hoping for.

And upate to all of this:

This has been double checked, and once again, Public Mobile has confirmed that there is an exception and that it still applies.  It is Public Mobile's policy to allow such transfers even if the Telus/Koodo/Public prepaid account is in suspension as long as the number is staying within the Telus orgnanization.   Incorrect information was being given when you were told that it isn't possible (which it still is and was at the time that this thread was started).

@ShawnC13 @computergeek541 

The following link was kindly supplied by @Luddite  in another thread for porting to koodo. I entered a suspended accounts phone number and it was portable. That would indicate porting is "doable" from a suspended account to koodo so in theory also to telus.....if anyone is still doubtful about pm's messaging on this subject.

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal

@RosieR wrote:

There have been a couple of "This was brought up in discussions with Marketing after this announcement.  We were told that...."  from the oracles recently.  The correct solution should be posted on the announcement page by the Public Mobile Product Manager, as a modification to the already modified announcement, so everyone is on the same page.  

That's who Shawnc13 and I have gotten the information from.  That doesn't mean that a change couldn't have been made, but the most recent information that I have been provided is that nothing has changed for porting Telus prepaid numbers.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@RosieR wrote:

@computergeek541 yes that was what we were told before this announcement

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Transferring-or-Changing-your-Phone-Num...

In that announcement, there is no mention whatsoever about being able to port in or out of Public Mobile to Telus/Koodo with a suspended account.  It says that all transfers will now follow the same procedure... and that was most probably why the moderator said  "no exception".

The common customers like me are not privy to oracles meetings with Public Mobile representatives, so I tend to agree with what the honorable oracles say in the forum.  But if a moderator replies contrary to the oracle's reply, well then, I would lean towards the moderator's reply as the likely correct answer as they are the representatives of Public Mobile.

No disrespect, of course

RosieR

This was brought up in discussions with Marketing after this annoucement.  We were told that this still applies and that supsended Public Mobile accounts could still be ported out to other Telus brands.  As such, unlesss the marketing team has decided to change this policy or if they were instructed to do so higher up at Telus, thie moderators should be following the same policy (whatever it is).  

There have been a couple of "This was brought up in discussions with Marketing after this announcement.  We were told that...."  from the oracles recently.  The correct solution should be posted on the announcement page by the Public Mobile Product Manager, as a modification to the already modified announcement, so everyone is on the same page. 

RosieR 

Mobilix

@computergeek541 following the official answer from the Mod (I actually opened a support ticket) I've decided to keep my PM service for an extra month. I've deferred my porting out for May 5 and use my PM until that date. It was simply not worth it. But to be honest I more impressed by the support received here. I think everyone do their best to help others but PM should find a way to communicate with the community as a whole.

@Mobilix 

I probably would as well...

As I suggested earlier, it is unacceptable that information like this is not clearly laid out and that there is so much discrepancy between what is said between moderators and/or PM staff and/or the information given to Oracles.

@CS_Agent

Can a senior member please tell us what the official policy is?  Not only do your customers deserve it, but all your community members who are here to support you & PM should be given accurate information upon which to reply to community inquiries.

@Mobilix wrote:

I cannot agree more... Is not that much that I have to pay the full month but instead getting an accurate answer... Because my decision will be based on that information.

But I'll go the safe way by paying my extra month.

If you're actually trying to port out, I would try again.  The marketing department is responsible for the overall message that is sent out to customers. Marketing said that it can be done and never said that this has changed. Therefore, moderators should still be allowing it and performing whatever steps are necessary to have this accomplished.

Mobilix

I cannot agree more... Is not that much that I have to pay the full month but instead getting an accurate answer... Because my decision will be based on that information.

But I'll go the safe way by paying my extra month.

@RosieR wrote:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Transferring-or-Changing-your-Phone-Num...

In that announcement, there is no mention whatsoever about being able to port in or out of Public Mobile to Telus/Koodo with a suspended account.  It says that all transfers will now follow the same procedure... and that was most probably why the moderator said  "no exception".

The common customers like me are not privy to oracles meetings with Public Mobile representatives, so I tend to agree with what the honorable oracles say in the forum.  But if a moderator replies contrary to the oracle's reply, well then, I would lean towards the moderator's reply as the likely correct answer as they are the representatives of Public Mobile.

No disrespect, of course

RosieR

This was brought up in discussions with Marketing after this annoucement.  We were told that this still applies and that supsended Public Mobile accounts could still be ported out to other Telus brands.  As such, unlesss the marketing team has decided to change this policy or if they were instructed to do so higher up at Telus, thie moderators should be following the same policy (whatever it is).  

No disrespect, of course

RosieR

@RosieR @Mobilix 

That information isn't consistent with the information that I have.  Porting out from Telus prepaid, Koodo prepaid, or Public Mobile to one of these other Telus brands does not need an active plan. The account merely needs to be still open but can be in suspended status.  That is Public Mobile's official stance that has been comminicated to the Oracles and Public Mobile went out of their way to communicate this specific example as an exception. One of us has even asked about this recently after some of the number portability security features were implemented.

@HALIMACS wrote:

consistency and clarity.

you know this is so not Public Mobile.   🤣😂

No question,  @softech , I'd be paying it too!!!

This is less about the measly $13 and more about gaining a sense of consistency and clarity.

@RosieR wrote:

@Mobilix WOW OH WOW!!!  I knew I was somewhat correct 😂  but I was hesitant (afraid really) to go against the oracles haha

I have been the idiot  that cried out loud and saying he must have an Active account.. LoL

.. and yes, we all know it's YMMV, but I rather pay $15 $13 to get the peace of mind instead of 😭 after loosing the number

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS : We also know that communication and consistency are not a strong suit around here. In this case though, moving up tiers is very much in their interests and extracting more money in doing so.

@Anonymous 

Oh I know that moderator responses are very much YMMV.  I wonder some of the time if they're reading from the same training script/ materials.  🤔

The thing is, with this request, there should absolutely be a level of consistency as it's possible that retention might be on the line, depending on the situation.

If the Oracles are being told something specifically and the mods contradict it - that raises doubt in the minds of potential customers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Regulars around here know full well that one moderator answer is not gospel. It's known to ask again. But of course these things take time. It had also been my understanding that under the Telus umbrella, one can transfer numbers around anytime before deactivation/abandonment.

@ShawnC13 

Good idea to get clarification even though @Mobilix seems resigned to just paying the $13 and being done with it - and that's understandable.

Still, it certainly would help us all help other customers with similar questions - and this is not an uncommon one which frequently gets different replies.

@Mobilix wrote:

There's no exception, the account needs to be active to allow the porting out of my number to TELUS (or any other carrier)...

@Mobilix WOW OH WOW!!!  I knew I was somewhat correct 😂  but I was hesitant (afraid really) to go against the oracles haha

Please change the Accepted Solution to your own post.  You were the one who solved this problem/issue.

@computergeek541  this is a case that the OP solved his own query.

Au Revoir

RosieR

@Mobilix wrote:

@Mobilix    So the information supplied by PM saying suspended accounts within the Telus family can still be ported is incorrect?    Then PM needs to amend that announcement immediately if that isn't the case.   Perhaps @ShawnC13 can bring it to PM's attention/or get further clarification?

Edit:  @ShawnC13  posted while I was still typing...

@HALIMACS I am going to ask for clarification on this as we were told in the Oracle area that the line does not have to be active to port to Telus or Koodo and this was just last year they told us that

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@AE_Collector   I agree.  I guess we had seen Mod being nice and went extra miles to help in many situations, but you never know when you will got to a rookie that only follows the book.

Also, with a proper call centre, it's easier to call again and hope you get a different support and try to fight for what you want.  With PM, it might be harder to pay this card.

I guess, if  OP doesn't care of loosing the number, then he can try.  But if OP definitely wants to keep it, then I will pay $15 for the peace of mind

Mobilix

That's it. It's not worth the time nor the hassle. I'll pay for the $15 and keep my sanity 🙂

Mobilix

EPP stands for Employee Partner Plan... All big 3 offers these special rate plan to employees of other big companies/organizations. You get a better plan than the ones offered to the public in general. A little like Costco who can negotiate better deals for its members.

It’s just a gamble to keep the same number. The next moderator may tell a different story altogether. Quite likely do-able to recover the number after the fact but sometimes the amount of time needed and days without service just aren't worth not getting the $15  $13 plan to use for the 5 or 6 days until the number ports. And if the OP is going to a 10 GB or higher data plan the OP is likely on the $40 or $50 PM plan currently anyway.

JMHO AE_Collector

@Mobilix wrote:

@Mobilix 

Are you stating they are REQUIRING you to put another full cycle payment on your Public Mobile account EVEN THOUGH you're moving your number from Public Mobile to TELUS?

That's ridiculous.

@ShawnC13  Surely the Oracles might have an 'in' with someone who could assist this OP.  Making them pay a full cycle for a few days of service JUST SO they can port to TELUS is a kick in the @ss (in my view) for a customer remaining loyal to TELUS. 

Yes if you are on a higher priced PM plan the $15 plan should get you by for 5 days and eliminate any other porting problems. EPP is Telus Employee plan isn’t it? Are you or were you an employee, going for the 40% off the $75 plan or something similar? If I needed the 10 GB or more of data included in the $75 plan, $45 would look pretty good other than all the rewards I would lose by leaving PM now.

AE_Collector

Cool, thanks for confirming

As mentioned earlier, you might want to change to a lowest price plan,  $15,  to save a little bit

Mobilix

Mobilix

Will do.

Thanks.

Need Help? Let's chat.