cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting out and in on the same account

mikego
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I need to port out my PM number to a phone supplied by work, but I don't want to lose my account or the referral rewards I have accumulated. Is it possible to port out my number and keep my account where I would port in another number from Freedom?

15 REPLIES 15

@srlawrenYes Xs uses eSim and Public Mobile doesn't support that.. I am using Rogers for my Apple Watch 4. I would assume the OP's employer will use a mainline company which use eSIM, so OP can keep his PM SIM and put that into the phone.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@GinYVR wrote:

@mikegoYou can always get a phone with 2 sim slots eg Samsung and Apple Xs both do. Call forwarding would also work too. Plenty of solutions.

@GinYVR I was thinking of this (suggesting dual-SIM) as well but not sure about your suggested models.  Most North American Samsung models (that I'm aware of) are single-SIM.  And the newer iPhones are kind-of dual-SIM but only one physical SIM slot; since PM doesn't support eSIM, this would mean you'd have to depend on the employer using a provider that does, and that doesn't mind you using eSIM for that purpose. (This may or may not be an issue, but something to keep in mind).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mikego

@Dogbert wrote:

@mikego wrote:

Hi,

I need to port out my PM number to a phone supplied by work, but I don't want to lose my account or the referral rewards I have accumulated. Is it possible to port out my number and keep my account where I would port in another number from Freedom?

I would highly recommend you reach out to a mod (link).

I've faced a similar situation with a competitor; however, I didn't want to buyout the plan.  Thus, they had to work it out internally.

I'm thinking that you may have to start another PM account and do a sideways number push (within PM); this is where you end up with any number in your exisitng account and your old number in a new account (holding account).

Only a mod can assist with this; thus, it's best to reach out to one (link).

Thanks for the suggestion

@Dogbert 

@Dogbert wrote:

@mikego wrote:

Hi,

I've faced a similar situation with a competitor; however, I didn't want to buyout the plan.  Thus, they had to work it out internally.

I'm thinking that you may have to start another PM account and do a sideways number push (within PM); this is where you end up with any number in your exisitng account and your old number in a new account (holding account).

This has been discontinued.  Numbers cannot be transferred off one plan to make it available for another number to take it over.  This was done previously, but Public Mobile has put a stop to it.

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mikego wrote:

Hi,

@mikegoYou can always get a phone with 2 sim slots eg Samsung and Apple Xs both do. Call forwarding would also work too. Plenty of solutions.

mikego

Haha, sorry about your number pain.

The number is more valuable to me than the few dollars I'd be saving each month with the rewards. It's not worth a few bucks to deal with the hassle of trying to get everyone to switch their contacts.

Thanks for your help and ideas - looks like I can't have my cake and eat it too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikego wrote:

I'm not forced to use my number, but I really don't want to carry two phones around and as cheap as PM is, it's still more expensive than free. I had wanted to port my wife's number onto my existing account to keep my referral bonuses.

Forward from your own line to the company phone?

So they were paying the shot?

How attached are you to _your_ number?

Port your wife anyway and abandon your number.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mikego wrote:

I'm not forced to use my number, but I really don't want to carry two phones around and as cheap as PM is, it's still more expensive than free. I had wanted to port my wife's number onto my existing account to keep my referral bonuses.

If you don't mind losing your current number in favour of your work number, then you could port your wife's number in and keep everything. You would only lose the 10 digits you have come to know. I know the IT guy at work changes his number a few times per year. Ex. When he is on vacation, he changes it so he can keep in touch with his family and close friends but not have tech support calls. 

My work pays for my cellphone bill, and I use my personal number for work. When I leave, I will trash this number (it's too close to the Bluecross number anyway, I get at least 20 calls a month with people looking for Bluecross. I also get a ton of collection agency calls for someone named Randel.) I won't miss this number. If it wasn't already on 1000 business cards, I would have ditched it a year ago.

mikego

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikego wrote:

Work phone, work plan. Your way makes more sense, but that's not how they do things at work unfortunately.

Then you shouldn't be forced to use your number. That's yours. Unless they've been paying for it all this time. Even the sign up. Then fine. But if they were then you wouldn't be caring about what is in the account.

I've heard it mentioned that you can transfer Available Funds over to another customer somehow. But no not the rewards.

Bl@@dy employers.

mikego

Work phone, work plan. Your way makes more sense, but that's not how they do things at work unfortunately.

mikego

That's disappointing, but I appreciate the confirmation of what I feared.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mikego wrote:

Hi,

Unfortunately, all rewards on your account will be gone and your account will be canceled as soon as you port your number out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikego wrote:

Hi,

No. Porting out closes the originating account.

Why can't you move your SIM over to the employer provided phone? Just needs to be compatible and unlocked.

Need Help? Let's chat.