cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting my phone number to Ooma and picking a new number from Public Mobile

LLHawk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I would like to port my current Public Mobile cell number which is a local number for my city to Ooma for my home phone because Ooma does not have a local number for my city. I then want to pick a new number from Public Mobile for my cell phone. Can I do that?

7 REPLIES 7

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Like others said, if you port the number your closing your account. Unless you recent were PM then it might be ok. I would just use a voip service that does what you need it to do. Check out voipmuch. You can port to them, or get a new number, they have many locations in each province. 

@LLHawk

I just realized that you can't even port your phone number at all to that carrier. As they do not offer numbers for your city, a number from that same city with Public Mobile can't be transferred there even if you were okay with your Public Mobile account closing.

In addition to the above:

I have not tried Ooma, but any VoIP services I've tried (VoIP.ms, fongo, TextNow spring to mind) were unable to port in a number from an area they don't offer their own numbers for.

So, as an example, my Comox Valley number needs to be associated with a (physical) SIM or a landline, for now. If I had a Victoria number I could easily port my number to most VoIP providers I know of.

If all you require is a local number for Ooma @LLHawk why not activate another local number and port that one over and keep your current number here to keep your accumalated rewards. Stay safe. 

Have you tried Fongo instead? There homephones are under $5 per month. And there is currently a deal on their converters. 

Sorry can't be done as per @wetcoaster and @computergeek541 ,

LLHawk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@LLHawk 

No, you can't if you want to keep your present PM plan with existing rewards/credits.  Once you port out, your PM number is closed permanently.  

Sorry, but no. Porting out closes your Public Mobile account.

Need Help? Let's chat.