cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from Rogers Wireless Home Phone

Lilith2836
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just an FYI based on my experience:

Porting a Rogers Wireless Home Phone number to PM was a bit more complicated than expected. Even though the Rogers Wireless Home Phone uses a sim card, it cannot receive text messages so the SMS port request confirmation will not work. It's basically a box with an antenna that a home phone handset plugs into.

I had thought (& hoped) that the number could be ported as a regular sim & tried to do this. It didn't work (due to the no text message thing) & I asked for help from the Moderator Team (Thanks Walter!!) to retry the port request. Because of the no text message problem, I contacted Rogers to try to manually confirm the request.

After going through the Rogers Live Chat & the usual Rogers agents on the phone, I ultimately had to call a completely separate phone number to verbally verify the port request confirmation. After that, the port happened fairly quickly & all is well.

Of note, the PM port request had already been done when I spoke to everyone at Rogers so they could see the request in my Rogers account even though the agents couldn't act on it.

So, if anyone needs to port a number from this type of device, it may be better to try to port it as a landline or call the Rogers Porting Centre directly.

Also, the IMEI for this type of device is on a sticker on the underside of the box

After all that, I have successfully ported to PM 🙂

Hope this helps someone!

Cheers!

Edit: The Rogers Porting Centre phone number is 1-877-327-8503

There is a short menu & then a wait (mine was short) to get to the agent. There's a bunch of security checks so recommend having your most recent bill ready

11 REPLIES 11

Lilith2836

Nuts!

Good to know it really doesn't work.

Hope your attempt didn't mess up your services

Cheers!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lilith2836 : It's either deja vu or the SmartHub SIM did the same thing. The SIM is locked. I tried 1234 and 0000. 3 chances. 1 left. I'm out.

I seem to think I did something like this for fun some time ago. But it might have been the SmartHub SIM. I had ported that number out a while ago simply to close the service.

Lilith2836

Yes! That's the number

Sorry, didn't even think to actually include that phone number in the first post

@Lilith2836 

Excellent post this will surely help others in the future. Thank you!

Edit:

Was this the porting department # for Rogers?     1-877-327-8503

If not would you mind supplying us with the number?   thx

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lilith2836 : Yeah I can't login to the WHP either. The SmartHub is basically like a router so that's easy enough to login to. Now you've got me curious about the WHP SIM in a phone. Maybe I'll play with that sooner than later just for curiosity.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

No they won't.  The account is set up for calling only.  

If that's true, then could you theoretically pull the SIM card into a cell phone and use it as a mobile phone? 

I never tested this, but initially thought it was set up as a "data" line and the phone would do VoIP over that data.  (If this is the case, can you pull the SIM into a cell phone and use it strictly for data?)  😄

Lilith2836

Oooo! Try it! If the Telus Wireless Home Phone can do SMS then porting & other functions would be much easier.

The Rogers Wireless Home Phone that I had didn't have any internet/data & I wasn't aware of any way of logging into it beyond seeing it listed in my billing account. But if I can use the PM sim in it & access the SMS I'll do it. What's the interface to access the Telus one? Would I need a Telus Smarthub?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Telus Wireless Home Phone and the Telus SmartHub will both take the Public Mobile SIM and do calls and internet (SmartHub). I'll admit now that I never tried to log in to the devices to see any texts. But it's there in the interface. Maybe some day I might try it.

Lilith2836

I did try to put the home phone sim into 2 old cell phones & 1 newer phone but it didn't work. Gave me an error (MM#6) on the older phones & wouldn't connect to any network. The newer phone just said "unknown network" & did nothing. One of the older phones was a Rogers branded phone so I thought it would work but no go. The other 2 were factory unlocked phones that I had previously used on the Rogers network (same account too)

I haven't tried putting another sim into the home phone box. I suppose I could try with the PM sim but I'd miss all the SMS about payments & things

@benfatto wrote:

@Lilith2836  Too late to check but I wonder if those wireless home phone SIMs can receive SMS when installed in cell phone. 
Vaguely recall a post saying the inverse works; regular cell phone SIM in wireless home phone adapter. 

No they won't.  The account is set up for calling only.  

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lilith2836  Too late to check but I wonder if those wireless home phone SIMs can receive SMS when installed in cell phone. 
Vaguely recall a post saying the inverse works; regular cell phone SIM in wireless home phone adapter. 

Need Help? Let's chat.