cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting and security issues

DuthmanOttawa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I want to disable automatic porting.  I feel that this is a potential security risk.  How do I go about disabling this feature so that I have to physically  show I.D. when I want to port my number.  From my research automatic  porting is a security risk;  once the crook has access they can port my number without my knowledge and obtain security SMS's.  Is anyone else aware of this? 

3 REPLIES 3

dwh1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@DuthmanOttawa In addition to the previous answers, I would strongly suggest using a password manager to create unique string passwords for web sites. They way, a third who gains access to your and tests would still have to drain (for example) a 20 character password. Don’t rely on sms 2FA to provide much security in itself. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@DuthmanOttawa 

Public mobile does not offer such port request protection.  Public mobile service is only online.  For example, there is no live person that you can show your ID to.  There is no PM stores, etc. 

Public mobile will not allow a port unless you authorize the port request by answering yes to the port request text from the new carrier.  

That is how most mobile companies work.  

It is important to have a strong password to your setf service account.  Besides port request, customers should also be aware of SIM card swaps.  Public mobile does also offer 2FA protection for self service accounts.  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @DuthmanOttawa 

there is no automatic porting here

if anyone request to port your number, you will get a text on your phone and you need to reply Yes within 90 mins. So, all you have to do is to be careful when you see PM text

On the other hand you cannot request a port lock either.  I heard some carriers can do it with some kind of accounts, like business accounts.  I am not sure if they can o it with consumer accounts

Need Help? Let's chat.