cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a number from SpeakOut

rgutter
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I know there are a number of topics on this particular issue. I've read them all. I'm hoping that someone here can help as I expect I'm entering a well-travelled sequence of delays.

1. I just started and activated a new PM account with a new (meant to be temp) number.

I switched to the new PM SIM. All seemed fine with the temp number.

2. My plan was to change this number to a new one by porting an existing one from SpeakOut. From Choose your phone number:

Note that you can change your phone number once every 30 days after you’ve activated [...] If you don’t want to wait [for porting], you can select a new number when activating, and transfer your old number later.

I'm aware that there have been issues - seemingly all resolved - perhaps mostly due to SpeakOut's use of the phone number as the account number.

3. I fllled in the requisite form online; even got a "Change was successful" response.

4. Rebooted the device, which now reports the desired phone number. Yay, I thought.

5. Waited a couple of hours. But here's what I've now received from PM: "Public Mobile here: To complete your request to move to Public Mobile please go to Publicmobile.ca, click Contact us and complete the SIM & Activation online form. Please ensure you provide the correct account number from your previous service provider. Thanks."

Ok, but: the account is set up & activated & working. (That is, "was working" because now of course the number set up no longer works.)

The porting has been "done" through my new account's Change Number option. Not surprisingly, when I return there and test the old number for eligibility, I now get an "We were unable to transfer the phone number you entered", no doubt because that number is now in that shadowland where it's registered with PM even though still active on SpeakOut.

Any advice? Ignore the PM text message and just wait? Or should I be more proactive?

11 REPLIES 11

@computergeek541 

Account number IS phone number with Speakout

IMEI is the only thing required*, PIN will usually (like 99% of the time) fail

*note - IMEI is the IMEI of the LAST phone you used on Speakout service, NOT IMEI you used at time of activation

If unsure or if phone sold make sure to register new device on network (place a call) before submitting port request

@computergeek541 wrote:

@rgutter wrote:

@Anonymous A very quick consensus seems to be forming. Thank you.

You don't want to ignore that text message from Public Mobile.  They are flat out telling you that you your request has failed.   Please follow the insstruction provided earlier to contact the moderators.

To my knowledge, porting out from Speakout requires both IMEI and account PIN.  I would leave account number blank, and would not do what some people do like putting in a bunch of zeroes or the phone number, because those aren't proper account numbers and could cause the port to fail again.

As i was saying, I would provide the IMEI and the account PIN used on Speakout to the Public Mobile mdoerators and you should be fine once they resubmit another request for you.

Doonerz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@rgutter wrote:

One of the mods - Katherine - responded this morning and then resubmitted the port request, this time including the phone's IMEI. I received a success text shortly afterword, and all's good. 

Likely this implies that when a SpeakOut number is being ported you should avoid filling in the "Account number" and just submit the IMEI (refered to as "Serial number" on the transfer form).

Thanks all.

My SpeakOut number port was seamless. I did not use IMEI, but the 'Account number' only. Weird that I got the exact opposite results?

rgutter

One of the mods - Katherine - responded this morning and then resubmitted the port request, this time including the phone's IMEI. I received a success text shortly afterword, and all's good. 

Likely this implies that when a SpeakOut number is being ported you should avoid filling in the "Account number" and just submit the IMEI (refered to as "Serial number" on the transfer form).

Thanks all.

rgutter

@FBR Thank you. I'll let everyone know how this works out....

rgutter

@computergeek541  Thanks, I've just contacted them. I've passed on the IMEI and what I hope is the PIN.

I was aware that using the phone number as the account number might be a problem. Anyays, I can't resubmit the request myself now as the number is now rejected on the self-serve page.

FBR

@rgutter 

I ported from speakout 2 weeks ago, and had similar issues as well.

You will need this information when contacting a moderator to complete the port:

1. Speakout PIN (call speakout customer service if you forgot it)

2. IMEI of the last device connected to your speakout SIM

Good luck!

@rgutter wrote:

You don't want to ignore that text message from Public Mobile.  They are flat out telling you that you your request has failed.   Please follow the insstruction provided earlier to contact the moderators.

To my knowledge, porting out from Speakout requires both IMEI and account PIN.  I would leave account number blank, and would not do what some people do like putting in a bunch of zeroes or the phone number, because those aren't proper account numbers and could cause the port to fail again.

As i was saying, I would provide the IMEI and the account PIN used on Speakout to the Public Mobile mdoerators and you should be fine once they resubmit another request for you.

rgutter

rgutter

@RobertQc Thanks... will do.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rgutter , something must have gone wrong with the number port.  You will need to contact the moderator team via private message and have them follow up. 

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM(EST) & Sat/Sun 9AM-7:30PM(EST)
You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@rgutter 

I suggest sending a message to the moderator team. Click this to send them a message.

It sounds like your port is stuck/failed, even if your PM phone shows the correct outgoing caller ID, if your chatR account is still active incomming calls are going there.

Need Help? Let's chat.