cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port out authorization

Hamidsdna
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm out of the country with my family and we'll be away for a year. My wife and I don't want to pay for any plan while we're away, but we want to keep our numbers so we can use them again when we're back. The plan was to port out our numbers to a number park service where we can keep the number, play a voice message to any caller, and receive texts via email for $2 per month. Then port the numbers back to PM when we're back.

We've submitted our port request through the company that offers the number park service, but they can't complete the process because PM sends a text to each number which needs to be replied to in 90 minutes to authorize the port out.

The problem is we're already out of the country and PM doesn't have roaming service here, so the sim card doesn't work here and we can't reply to that text. I was wondering what is the backup method to make that authorization. I have access to my PM account online, and I have access to the email address that my PM account is linked to. Does any of these work?

8 REPLIES 8

@Hamidsdna   Yes, texting out is an issue for Fongo  😞  you need to pay

But if texting out using your own number is not critical, then also consider use Fongo as well as TextNow.  Use TextNow for text out if you don't need text a lot.  A bit headache, but safe some money  🙂

Hamidsdna

@softech, thanks for letting me know about Fongo. I was going to use Numberbarn, but Fongo looks like a better option because I can receive calls too. I need to pay $25 porting fee plus $10 for 6 month texting service which is very close to Numberbarn fees.

Hamidsdna

Thank you @softech. I'll do that.

Hamidsdna

Thanks @darlicious and @HALIMACS for your comments. I don't have that many points and rewards too loose, so that's not a big deal for me. But I need to have access to my text messages to receive two step verification codes.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Hamidsdna 

I agree with @HALIMACS  that it would be a shame to lose out on the rewards program and be stuck with the points program when you come back.

1. Schedule a change plan on next renewal to the $15 plan**.
  2. On or before Day 30 of your current 30 day cycle suspend your account via lost/stolen before midnight eastern. This should keep your voicemail active. (Been awhile since I tested to confirm....soon!) 
  3. By suspending via lost/stolen this prevents any balance being used or autopay engaging to pay for your plan renewal but it also causes a glitch with your rewards not applying upon renewal. You can contact customer support once you pay to reactivate before day 90 to apply your rewards manually to your account balance. ($2 autopay+$3 loyalty=$5+?)
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your phone # from another phone (download textnow and choose a Canadian phone #)and when it connects press "*" and enter your voicemail PIN code.
  5. Set several reminders to pay and reactivate your account by about day 85 no later than day 88. You may need to contact customer support to reactivate as I have run into an issue twice now paying to reactivate where it looks like you have paid but when you look closely at your amount paid and a downloaded invoice the amount =$0.00 and the account remains suspended. You can ask for your rewards to be applied (after paying)at the same time.
  6. After 30 days of active service you suspend again before midnight eastern on Day 30 as above.... Rinse and repeat. Give or take the extra few days to reactivate before day 90 you can keep your accounts suspended this way for about 350 days for 3×$15=$45 - $15(3×$5 rewards)=$30/350 days with your voicemail intact and you can change your voicemail message to include your textnow phone # that you can call/text with for free on wifi or on mobile data with a local Sim card.

**You may need to just change your plan "now" when you need to reactivate on day 85 or so if your old plan still shows on your account first time you reactivate before day 90.

Happy travels and Stay--Safe!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Hamidsdna   Also keep in mind, that if you port out, you'll lose any rewards built up through any loyalty or refer-a friends that you may have built up since here.

If you're coming back here, you'll be starting fresh,  and on a much- reduced rewards program. 

One way to avoid this is to pay into the $15 plan every 4 months (going through the 30-day cycle + 90 day suspended time frame) and then renewing before the 90 days suspension period expires.

You can continue with this process for the period you are away and it will only cost you $45 (minus any loyalty / refer a friend rewards / auto pay discounts you may have if on the old rewards program) and you'll keep not only your number, but your public mobile accounts.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@Hamidsdna if you have a trusted friend or family member in Canada, just ask them to purchase a SIM, and you can replace your existing SIM with that new one. Once they have your active SIM in hand, they can reply to the port text on your behalf.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Hamidsdna   you might have to open a ticket with PM Support and ask them to agree on the porting with your "verbal" approval.   Not sure if this can be done, but try .

Please open ticket via Chatbot

Just open a ticket via Chatbot for PM Support :

1. Please open ticket via Chatbot (need access to My Account): At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you have trouble with Chatbot or you don't have access to My Account: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

By the way, which provider you are porting out to?  As far as I know, Porting into Fongo is free for the service, just a $25 one time porting fee, then free after

Need Help? Let's chat.