cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please tell me 5G just somehow isn't compatible with Ookla Speed Test?

StevenMorehouse
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was excited to have my first 5G plan from Black Friday that finally got activated today!    I see that shiny new "5G" symbol I've never seen before, so yay 🙂

Of course, I open up my SpeedTest app to marvel at the awesome new 5G performance.

What the actual firetruck???

On 4G I was getting 50-60Mb consistently while sitting in this very spot.  Now I'm getting 1.53?  No, not 153... the decimal is important here.  That's One point Five Three Mb/s.

Again, tell me this is just a known "don't worry about it, the test is lying" thing.

14 REPLIES 14

Tornow1500
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Try another speed testing website. Google has one built in if you search for “Internet speedtest”. You can also go to fast.com. 

It also comes down to what area you’re in. I would recommend going to a city centre and test it, also try going near a cellular tower. Optimally, you would have 2-4 bars of service. 

It may also be an issue with your device. I doubt this is the case, but if you have a cheaper device or your device has an issue, you may not be getting good speeds. If you use an iPhone, I would recommend checking to see if you have the network set to “5G on” instead of “5G auto”. That might be hindering speeds, although in my experience using an iPhone 14 doing a SpeedTest on 5G auto, 5G speeds are usually active. (Examples attached may look different from your iPhone because I’m using Dual SIM, but you should be able to access this menu via Cellular in settings)

IMG_8727.jpeg

IMG_8728.jpeg

I hope these troubleshooting steps helped, if they didn’t, I would recommend contacting support. Have a nice day!

Grand_Total
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I need 2GB, so when I saw that it was a no brainer. I consider myself fortunate to have got it. I was happy enough with the 20GB $34 plan.

@Grand_Total 

yeah, that was a great plan for low data users. it wasn't even a plan, but a fake out for many customers 

Grand_Total

The $29 10GB 4G plan I got on Black Saturday. 

@Grand_Total 

what 4g plan is cheaper than $34/40gb 5g?

Grand_Total

Yes, I’ve seen 260Mbps on LTE (my phone doesn’t support 5G) on a 5G plan. I’m switching to a 4G plan on renewal for cost reasons, but I won’t miss the speed in practice. 

StevenMorehouse

I don't know how to switch to LTE.  I didn't realize that was a thing.  I thought you get the service your plan is on.  I'll try to figure that out and give it a try.

FYI, I went to go pick up some take-out and did a speed test in their lobby while I waited and I got 250Mb down and about 60Mb up.   So it isn't my phone, and it isn't the plan... must be location as gpixel suggests.

No biggie.  When I'm at home I have 900Mb wifi anyway.

@StevenMorehouse 

it's possible there aren't many 5g radios in your location. and, yes, the penetration is horrible. I wonder what speeds you're able to achieve in that location using LTE? I've seen users that are hitting speeds above 100+mbps on a 5g plan using LTE 

DeelightfulDee2

@StevenMorehouse 

It takes 48 hours for your data speed to be unthrottled from your previous plan's data speed. Try again in 36 to 40 hours. Also test your LTE speed then too it can be faster or equal to the 5G network's speed.

StevenMorehouse

40 down, 0.8 up.  Lol, this sucks so bad it is funny.

There's one surefire way to test that, @StevenMorehouse 

Step outside and try the test again.

Indeed, you are on the right track with your 5G presumptions...

StevenMorehouse

Its a OnePlus 11.

I'm in the basement of my home, and 50-60 is what I would get *from here*, compared to the miserable speeds I'm seeing right now.  Is 5G cellular like 5.8Ghz Wifi where it just can't penetrate like 2.4Ghz?  (lol, that's what she said).

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Don't know about you @StevenMorehouse , but I might suggest to save the speedtesting to the last day or two of your cycle.

Does another speedtest service provide the same result?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@StevenMorehouse 

what phone do you have? 

even 4G, the speed was a bit low.   First try to Reset All networks or Reset Network Settings on your phone and speed test again

Also, try to speed test in different area

**but make sure you are aware that each speed test could cost you 500Mb of data.  

Need Help? Let's chat.