cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please confirm if this phone will work on Public?

Mothman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Looking for a cheap first phone for my daughter, and I'm wanting to confirm that this phone will be compatable with Public.

Amazon.ca link: Alcatel Tetra

I'm thinking it is based on the info given, but I'm pretty noob when it comes to cell phones.

11 REPLIES 11

@Mothman hi all should be good don't try to fix it if it works!! Smiley Happy

Mothman

Follow up to this thread.

I received the phone, and set up a new sim.

I didn't change the APN at all, just left it as is (and I notice I don't have the option to add a new APN if I wanted to, which I understand is the issue that was being mentioned).

However, I have data... I tested by turning off wifi, and it works fine.

The APN fields that defaulted contain all of the same info as shown for my phone here: https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile, other than the name of the connection is not "Public Mobile 2" .  All other fields are already pre-filled as required.

I'm assuming that this is totally cool, and that the setup managed to auto-complete all of this for me... but just wanting confirmation... I don't have to actually add an APN is the one it defaulted to is already working, correct?

Mothman

Thanks all.  Great community here.  😃

Android 8.0 and 8.1 have been difficult, but not impossible to update.  You'll get through it, and we're here to help.

Mothman

Sorry I should have been more specific.  

I understand the need to set APN settings... Just worried now about the comment that the OS on this phone may make that problematic.

I've searched the forums and see lots of discussions on it... Crossing fingers I'll be able to get this phone to work 

@Mothman wrote:

What does that mean? The APN comment?

I've.ordered the phone so I hope there is a way to make it work.

APN refers device settings that need to be set correctly to use mobile data.

Mothman

What does that mean? The APN comment?

I've.ordered the phone so I hope there is a way to make it work.

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Mothman wrote:

Looking for a cheap first phone for my daughter, and I'm wanting to confirm that this phone will be compatable with Public.

I'm thinking it is based on the info given, but I'm pretty noob when it comes to cell phones.

It should work but it looks like it comes with Android 8.1 which means it may be a little difficult to set up your APN.

Mothman

Thank you. 🙂

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Mothman wrote:

Based on the Link Provided it will most definitely work

Need Help? Let's chat.