cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plans

champa1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I'm flying to Jamaica for a vacation in next week.  I have unused data on my phone but I doubted public mobile data will work there.  Any suggestions? Actually,  I'm thinking of getting out of public mobile because the network doesn't work even in Brampton area or if I drive out 3 hours away from Scarborough it doesn't work properly.  Thanks for answering my question 

3 REPLIES 3

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@champa1 

you'll likely have free wifi in most areas so why not just use voip app such as TextNow. The app is free, you'll be able to select a free Cdn number, you'll be able to send /receive calls to/from most Cdn and US numbers as well as text too....all for free. All the above will use your local wifi in Jam. Alternative is to use WhatsApp..it uses your local wifi to communicate freely with those of your contacts who also use WhatsApp. Unfortunately, your PM service doesn't work at all, in Jam.

sp

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@champa1 

first, PM is using Bell (and Telus) network and shouldn't have problem in Brampton.  There are many PM/Koodo/Telus/Bell/Virgin/Lucky subscribers in Brampton area and they have great reception using the Bell network there.  What phone do you have? brand and model? was it more  a voice problem? or data?

For Jamaica, sorry, PM has no roaming service there.  Consider using local data sim card, or travel esim like Airalo

fixin1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@champa1 - You can get a local SIM card or an eSIM from Airalo for data. For texting and data you can try using TextNow.

Bell, TELUS, Koodo, Virgin, Lucky, and PC mobile all use the same network as Public Mobile - TELUS & Bell share towers.

Bell = Bell, Virgin, Lucky, PC Mobile

TELUS = TELUS, Koodo, Public. 

Rogers = Rogers, Fido, Chatr

Quebecor = Fizz, Freedom, Videotron

Also you can see what carrier may fare you the best:

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=44.699898&lng=-80.321045&zoom=6&type=Roadm...

Need Help? Let's chat.