cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture Messaging Stopped Working on P20 Pro

fch
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have been with Public Mobile for over 3 years now. I am having an issue with Picture Messaging. Picture Messaging has stopped working on my P20 pro which I have been using on Public Mobile network since Dec 2018. It stopped working almost a week back. LTE data and regular txt message works, but not picture messaging. I am unable to receive or send. I have attempted to configure a new APN as per insructions provided on web and public mobile community threads but no luck. I have also performed reset all network settings on the phone via reset network menu and still no luck. I would apprecaite if someone can look into my settings and provide some feedback as to what I am missing, as the picture messaging did worked on this phone and now it just stopped working.

Screenshot_20190711_115936.jpgScreenshot_20190711_120010.jpgScreenshot_20190711_120031.jpg

14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheoE : Of course you need to save your work and select the APN.

Are you able to delete that other one? Or edit it instead of making a new one?

I tried that code on my Samsung and it didn't work. It might only be for LG but I don't know.

Another edit you could try:

MMS Proxy = mmscproxy.mobility.ca

MMS Port = 8799

TheoE
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the quick response @Dunkman & @Anonymous .

I confirm my data is turned on, I can do a google search. I haven't reached my total allotment either.
I tried both of your solutions but it does not seem to do the trick.

In doing so however, I rebooted the phone after each change and noticed that maybe 70% of the time, when I come back in the APN settings after reboot, it had reverted to the default APN i.e. it didn't have the "Public Mobile 2" APN selected but the default "Mobile Internet".

I wonder if that's the problem. Found this thread online, I'll give it a try tomorrow.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/apn-settings-revert-after-every-reboot.3505041/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheoE : Try

APN Type = default,mms,supl

MVNO Type = GID

MVNO Value = 4D

Also could try the last one = 4D4F

@TheoE 

Is your data turned on?  Does data work?

MMS texts won't use up data allotment but it needs to be turned on.  

Might want to change a couple lines of APN

APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

MVNO type: GID

MVNO value: 4D4F

TheoE
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi All,

I was wondering if @fch you found the solution to this thread?

I purchased a second hand Huawei p20 pro a month ago, I've been able to call, text, use data on various apps. The one thing that keeps resisting me is MMS. Specifically, receiving/sending picture messages, receiving/sending group text messages.

I previously owned a Sony Xperia XZs, MMS worked no problem.
My plan details:

• 100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk + Unlimited Incoming Minutes
  • 250 MB at 3G speed
  • Unlimited International Text

Besides this thread, I've tried troubleshooting with the following without success.
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone
https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/huawei-p20-pro
https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/content/en-us00407026/#:~:text=Verify%20that%20the%20APN%20se....

My APN settings:

APN 1.jpgAPN 2.jpg

Couple things I haven't tried: 1) different messaging app 2) factory reset. I'd rather avoid those if possible.

Bubbly100

My best guess is a network outage, you can always try a simple restarting of your phone, try in a different location to test if there is an outage. Good luck! 

@fch  Are you using a data monitor that shuts data usage after a preset amount? While MMS does not count toward your data allowance I think the phone would still add it to usage?

Also, you may have responded to the earlier suggestion that you confirm other data services work when wifi is off. Which reminds me to suggest you try an MMS with wifi disabled.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

fch

@GinYVR wrote:
@fchDid you restart after you change the typo?

Yes, restarted the phone after both changes were done.

Later in the evening, I will place the public Mobile SIM into another phone and will see what happens.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire
@fch Did you restart after you change the typo?

fch

Fixed the typo - aliasredirect 

and also changed the APN Type to default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

Still not able to send or receive any picture messages.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@fch wrote:

I have been with Public Mobile for over 3 years now. I am having an issue with Picture Messaging. Picture Messaging has stopped working on my P20 pro which I have been using on Public Mobile network since Dec 2018. It stopped working almost a week back. LTE data and regular txt message works, but not picture messaging. I am unable to receive or send. I have attempted to configure a new APN as per insructions provided on web and public mobile community threads but no luck. I have also performed reset all network settings on the phone via reset network menu and still no luck. I would apprecaite if someone can look into my settings and provide some feedback as to what I am missing, as the picture messaging did worked on this phone and now it just stopped working.

Screenshot_20190711_115936.jpgScreenshot_20190711_120010.jpgScreenshot_20190711_120031.jpg

You may try factory reset, you should backup before factory reset.

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your settings look correct.

Are you able to use mobile data if you have it?

It could be a network outtage.  I would give it an hour or tow and try again.

If still doesn't work; a mod would be the way to go.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@fchIt is aliasredirect.. not aliasdirect in your MMSC. You had made a typo.. try changing it and see if it works.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@fch wrote:

@fch Thr problem is that your APN Type needs to be setup properly and contain mms. Use the following settings as a reference.

These are the Public Mobile APN settings you need:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

Need Help? Let's chat.