cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone won't make calls in US

worntorn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm travelling in the US where we have been for ten days now. Yesterday I renewed my US call/text/data plan plus added an extra 500 mega bytes of US data. I added the same exact features when we crossed the border ten days ago and it worked perfectly until I renewed yesterday.

Now the data is working for internet access but the phone will not make calls.

I get a recorded message which states I do not have coverage to make the call.

I did not change any settings and the charges for the renewed roaming package are shown as having gone through on my Public Mobile accounts page.

23 REPLIES 23

@worntorn 

Glad to hear everything worked out. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Quick response time from Moderators.

worntorn

Moderator Danny came up with a solution.

He credited the $20 back to my account and I repurchased the US roaming add on.

This time the $20 US Roaming Talk Text Data bundle did not come up as an available option.

Instead, a $15 US roaming Talk Text only package was available.

US Roaming Data was listed separately but I'm good for that at the moment with the 500mb purchased yesterday.

This time around the bundle went onto my list of add ons and the phone is working again.

Thanks for all the help.

Glen

@worntorn wrote:

Just read my post.

I do hate smell check;)

We are able to edit our posts.
Click on the 3-dots on upper right corner and select "Edit Reply"

worntorn

Just read my post.

I do hate smell check;)

worntorn

The Moderator PM's me almost immediately after sitting the ticket.

He said the add on was paid for correctly.

For some reason it isn't listed in the " My Data and Add ons" area.

He's working on it.

Thanks for all the help+ quick responses

@worntorn wrote:

I've submitted a ticket.

Sounds like Moderator team should take a look.

Meanwhile if you want us to have a look, please post your account overview & payment history pages and we can check it. Keep in mind that this is a public forum, so do erase any personal details before posting. Thanks

worntorn

I've submitted a ticket.

worntorn

Yes, I loaded the funds however they are gone.

Account activity shows that the funds went to purchase the $20 US roaming Talk/text/data add on, however the add on does not show up as being in place on my plan overview " Add ons" area.

@worntorn wrote:

I'll try that and report back.

Her phone is connecting to AT&T. My phone doesn't appear to connect to anything but I do get a recorded message stating I don't have coverage, or words to that effect.

There was a 1 day difference in applying the first 10 day plans.

I put the plan on my wife's phone first then next day realized it would be good to have both phones working. I added the same $20 US roam talk text data to mine and all worked great.

So maybe the problem is due to not waiting for the first plan to run out, as posters have suggested. 

I think this might be the problem.

You're trying to buy the same US roaming addon ($20) again. Public Mobile doesn't allow that right away. You have to wait until tomorrow, one day after expiry. It's a known "glitch".

So you can buy a different US Roaming add-on right away (like the U.S. Talk and Text Bundle for $15)
Or you can wait until tomorrow (one day after expiry) to buy it again.

If you loaded $20 onto your account in preparation to purchase the add-on, the funds should still be there on your account.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you renewed your original plan, then talk should work. Contact a mediator to resolve this. There could have been a technical issue and the wrong plan was activated.

worntorn

I'll try that and report back.

Her phone is connecting to AT&T. My phone doesn't appear to connect to anything but I do get a recorded message stating I don't have coverage, or words to that effect.

There was a 1 day difference in applying the first 10 day plans.

I put the plan on my wife's phone first then next day realized it would be good to have both phones working. I added the same $20 US roam talk text data to mine and all worked great.

So maybe the problem is due to not waiting for the first plan to run out, as posters have suggested. 

I was under the impression that the US Roaming bug affected SMS only, and calling was supposed to function continuously.

Perhaps this is a new/different bug?

@worntorn, would you mind doing a bit of troubleshooting?

Can you check if you are both connecting to the same network?

And if time permits, can you try switching SIM cards with your wife to see if issue is possibly phone (or SIM card) related?

Thanks

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@worntorn wrote:

I get the same recorded message saying call cannot be completed on all numbers, whether I'm calling to a Canadian number or a US number.

It worked perfectly on all numbers up until the renewal.

I did renew a bit early as I was out of data.

That is the problem.  Somehow, your old US roaming add-on is causing the new add-on not working.

Create a moderator support ticket using the ? button at the right side bottom corner of this page to ask moderator to remove the old US roaming add-on.
Ask "contact human" as question for one or more times. SIMon will eventually show you the "Submit a ticket" button. Click on submit button to get the create ticket screen.
Moderator wait time is up to 2 days.

EDIT:

Try adding $1 to your account to trigger PM server to re-provision your account again.

@worntorn 

Strange that wife's phone is working, but yours isn't

Did you both start out with the exact same roaming add-ons on both accounts?
And they were bought on the same day or different day?

You may have run into one of those glitches. As hairbag1 wrote, your service should be back within 24 hours.

worntorn

I get the same recorded message saying call cannot be completed on all numbers, whether I'm calling to a Canadian number or a US number.

It worked perfectly on all numbers up until the renewal.

I did renew a bit early as I was out of data.

worntorn

That's right, I purchased two new add one yesterday, the US roaming Talk/Text/250 mb data and an additional 500 mb data.

Phone has a basic Canada only monthly plan but it worked fine in the US with the first 10 day $20 US Roaming Talk/Text/Data add on.

I think the talk and text portion of the US Roaming Add-on will be ok in 24 hours. They bought an additional chunk of data that's not part of the original add-on so it makes sense that that works. There's some problems when you re buy the same add-on as the one that just expires.

@hairbag1 wrote:

Give it 24 hours and it should correct itself. There can be a 24 hour lag between the time the 10 Day US Roaming Add-on expires and when you can rebuy it. I've read that this is one of the known glitches.

Add-on is a for data I think. Issue is with calls.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Give it 24 hours and it should correct itself. There can be a 24 hour lag between the time the 10 Day US Roaming Add-on expires and when you can rebuy it. I've read that this is one of the known glitches.

@worntorn wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.

The renewal shows up on the account. I also did the same exact thing with my wife's phone and hers works fine.

I tried rebooting, no luck there.

Your plan is teh $60 plan that includes roaming? it's doing this for all numbers?

@worntorn wrote:

The renewal shows up on the account. I also did the same exact thing with my wife's phone and hers works fine.

On your self-serve account, please look at the exact name/description of the US roaming add-on that was purchased.

Is it possible you accidently purchased one without talk?

worntorn

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@worntorn, are you able to confirm the add-on repurchase in your account.  If you have not done so, reboot the phone. 

Need Help? Let's chat.