Phone service

fjmonteith
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone service was cut off even though I have an unlimited plan

25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fjmonteith : That's a great update and a great find. You wrote on the 9th:

Some numbers are redials from my phone, but to ensure that there are no redial issues, I have reentered these number completely, and they will not work.

I wonder if it picked up the recent anyway. Can you delete the call/number in the recents list?

Edit: Yes, what make/model/submodel is the phone? And did you try the SIM in another phone?

fjmonteith

I appreciate your help in this matter.  This problem seemed to indicate an account problem, but it wasn't. This problem, and the other four, related to it, are unbelievable. I would be able to change my service to another service, and this problem would have continued, exactly the same. This is the most exotic problem I have heard of in the industry. It is a failure, in my phone, communicating a bad status, to the tower, causing my call to be terminated.

No  My service was totally active, and I should not have had this problem. Everything on my account was clear. Even a reset of my account did not cure this. That indicated that the problem could be my phone itself. I created a series of tests, and was able to confirm it.

I do know what the problem was:  The number one suspect was a problem with my account, but it wasn't. This problem was caused by a weak memory in my phone. This memory is in the "Recents" section, and when I try to redial certain numbers, I have this problem. The status information given out to the tower, erroneously send an "out of minutes" alarm, an my call is flagged, and terminated.  This problem fortunately, is very rare, however, there are at least four other symtoms it can cause. This problem is almost impossible to troubleshoot, identify, and repair.  In order for this to be fixed, my phone would have to be changed. There is no way Customer Support could help!  Amazing.  I will do a complete report, and try to get it, out to various services.    Yes, I was able to diagnose this entire problem myself, by creating a long list of tests.     Yes, I am an expert on cell phone communications.

@fjmonteith 

Thanks for update. This may be helpful for other customers in the future.  So, it was not an issue with Public mobile service itself.  May I ask which model phone?  Is it a known issue with the phone model?  Glad to hear that it is a rare issue with phone memory.  

fjmonteith

No  My service was totally active, and I should not have had this problem. Everything on my account was clear. Even a reset of my account did not cure this. That indicated that the problem could be my phone itself. I created a series of tests, and was able to confirm it.

I do know what the problem was:  The number one suspect was a problem with my account, but it wasn't. This problem was caused by a weak memory in my phone. This memory is in the "Recents" section, and when I try to redial certain numbers, I have this problem. The status information given out to the tower, erroneously send an "out of minutes" alarm, an my call is flagged, and terminated.  This problem fortunately, is very rare, however, there are at least four other symtoms it can cause. This problem is almost impossible to troubleshoot, identify, and repair.  In order for this to be fixed, my phone would have to be changed. There is no way Customer Support could help!  Amazing.  I will do a complete report, and try to get it, out to various services.    Yes, I was able to diagnose this entire problem myself, by creating a long list of tests.     Yes, I am an expert on cell phone communications.

fjmonteith

No  My service was totally active, and I should not have had this problem.

fjmonteith

No  My service was totally active, and I should not have had this problem.

I do know what the problem was:  The number one suspect was a problem with my account, but it wasn't. This problem was caused by a weak memory in my phone. This memory is in the "Recents" section, and when I try to redial certain numbers, I have this problem. The status information given out to the tower, erroneously send an "out of minutes" alarm, an my call is flagged, and terminated.  This problem fortunately, is very rare, however, there are at least four other symtoms it can cause. This problem is almost impossible to troubleshoot, identify, and repair.  In order for this to be fixed, my phone would have to be changed. There is no way Customer Support could help!  Amazing.  I will do a complete report, and try to get it, out to various services.    Yes, I was able to diagnose this entire problem myself, by creating a long list of tests.     Yes, I am an expert on cell phone communications. I have a way to bypass this problem, if it occurs again.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@fjmonteith 

Sorry to hear about those problems... hoping the Moderators (staff) can do something for you!  Just to confirm, were you able to open a Ticket already? 

If the SIMon robot is giving you issues, you can message them directly here but will need to provide additional info to authenticate yourself (eg. account number, PIN number, etc) but they'll walk you through what they need to know.

fjmonteith

We were trying to work with the robot. The only message that I received that was totally correct was:

There are 0 results to this problem.

you need to be aware, I was communicating with senior federal government officials in Ottawa, Toronto, and Region of Waterloo. They were expecting my response in a reasonable time, or the issue would be automatically closed.

My issues were terminated, for lack of response. This will cause me about a week to recover, and reestablish the issues. I have put more than 96 hours into this process, at my own expense. 

@fjmonteith  open a ticket with mod first.  Sometimes Mod  can do something on the backend to reset the profile or so and issue will then resolved.   

Try it.  Since it's a bit late now, Mod might not reply till tomorrow.

fjmonteith

I agree that it is an account related issue. But the inconsistencies should not be there, If the error message is valid, it should affect every phone call, not a selection. I was able to place a longdistance call to Naniamo B.C.30 minutes ago without any problems. When I checked with the numbers giving me difficulties, they did not work.

@fjmonteith wrote:

Most of the numbers with this problem are local, however one number is in the next region, and several numbers are in Ottawa, one is in Calgary. I have taken careful steps to include the 1 for long distance. Some numbers are redials from my phone, but to ensure that there are no redial issues, I have reentered these number completely, and they will not work. I have called other numbers in the same areas, and they do work. The problem does not seem to be area related, and it is not consistent. Yesterday the problem seemed to disappear, today it was back

@fjmonteith ,

You mentioned you were unable to contact tech support...? were you having difficulties using SIMbot = the bubble comment circle on the bottom right-hand side of your screen,

Try messaging the Moderator Team directly with this link:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

While you wait for a response, do a RESET of your NETWORK settings on your phone, see if that improves anything.

Good luck!

BlueB

@fjmonteith 

Thanks for letting us know all that and the inconsistency too!  I agree with @Dunkman that it appears like an account-related issue, and opening a Ticket will have Public Mobile staff actually look into (and hopefully fix!) your account for you quickly. 

Goodluck, and we'd love to hear how this ends up!  🙂

fjmonteith

I haven't had any payment problems, event-though I have used my phone on a visit to Scotland. I am on automatic billing. I have also checked my account, and it paid with the correct service, and operational.

fjmonteith

Most of the numbers with this problem are local, however one number is in the next region, and several numbers are in Ottawa, one is in Calgary. I have taken careful steps to include the 1 for long distance. Some numbers are redials from my phone, but to ensure that there are no redial issues, I have reentered these number completely, and they will not work. I have called other numbers in the same areas, and they do work. The problem does not seem to be area related, and it is not consistent. Yesterday the problem seemed to disappear, today it was back

@fjmonteith 

Your account was likely not provisioned properly.

Submit a ticket for moderator assistance.

Click on the chat bubble icon on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact moderator.  Type: unable to call. Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

BlueB

@fjmonteith 

When you dial "some numbers" - what numbers are they?  For example, are they regular xxx-xxx-xxxx numbers in your local calling area?  I'm guessing you're not trying to call outside Canada, correct?

If you're dialing "short code" numbers (such as 311, or some special number to your local radio station/etc), they aren't seen as regular Canadian telephone numbers.  Instead, they're special shortcuts that are outside the regular phone system and Public Mobile's system "thinks" you're calling elsewhere.

Let us know if any of these are applicable, and perhaps a description of what sort of numbers you're calling when you get that message.

fjmonteith

When I dial some numbers, the call will not go through. A voice tells me that I have used up all my minutes, and to goto PublicMobile.ca to purchase more.

I am on a Unlimited Canada wide plan. I do not use minutes!

I have been unable to contact tech support, to get this resolved!

I have checked all settings on my phone, and there are no problems!

Somehow PublicMobile has capped my minutes, even-though I have verified that my plan is correct, and operational.

BlueB

@fjmonteith 

Can you tell us more?  For example, do you see any error messages on your phone?  What do you mean by your phone service was cut off?  Do any calls/texts/etc go out, or come in?  How do you know it got cut off?

if your next payment is on the 17th, then it is not a payment issue

did you try to Reseat the SIM (power down, take SIM out, wipe it clean and put everything back and power up)

Did it show Public Mobile on top of the screen when you power back on again?  how many bars?

If you see Public Mobile, does anything of these things work?

incoming call?

outgoing call?

data (make sure to turn of Wifi to test this)?

fjmonteith

I am on automatic payment with my credit card and I don't owe anything. My next payment will come out on the 17th.

@fjmonteith wrote:

It says my status is fine and that I am on unlimited service. 

Who said status is fine?  Mod? or the Self-Serve page?

If self-Serve page said is fine, do you meant ACTIVE?

What is showing on  top of your phone screen?  Public Mobile? or no service?

fjmonteith

It says my status is fine and that I am on unlimited service. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@fjmonteith wrote:

@fjmonteith 

What does your Self Serve account status say?

If you did not create one, you can register for one here: https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/self-registration/

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Do you have autopay setup ?  Sometimes it can fail.  If you need service right away then you can purchase a voucher and call 611 to make a payment.  Another option is to pay using recharge.com or ding.com but there is a service charge.

@fjmonteith wrote:

Were you recently due for a renewal and was payment processed?

Need Help? Let's chat.