cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone service not working on Victoria Island

mrjaygervais
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

I am in Sooke on Victoria Island and I am getting non-stop text messages saying roaming is not supported. My phone seems to think I am in USA. Even if my service does not work, I don't mind but these non-stop text messages are extremely annoying. Is there any way to fix this while I am here?

Cheers!

12 REPLIES 12

jeremyofsmith
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

P.S.  Victoria Island is in Nunavut/NWT.  You live on Vancouver Island.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@mrjaygervais, I live in Colwood and get that message when I head out to Sooke or through Metchosin as well.  As the others have said you can turn off Roaming and you won't receive those messages.  Being on the Island here there are a few other places that our phones want to Roam to the US to get a better signal.

@Anonymous wrote:

if turning off Roaming option on any device is will be not stops the messages.

that messages is coming from carrier.

@ShawnC13 S--S lives on a different border with different rules.

😎

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@mrjaygervais, I live in Colwood and get that message when I head out to Sooke or through Metchosin as well.  As the others have said you can turn off Roaming and you won't receive those messages.  Being on the Island here there are a few other places that our phones want to Roam to the US to get a better signal.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Anonymous wrote:

@softech 

start the shutdown process in 2022. but no one will know when.

so, 3G Only will not work for now 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech 

start the shutdown process in 2022. but no one will know when.

@Anonymous wrote:

@softech @esjliv 

when OP selected 3G ONLY Then no more 3G on US side to connect,,and manually select carrier public mobile,

@Anonymous , not yet.. US has not shutdown the 3G network yet.   🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech @esjliv 

when OP selected 3G ONLY Then no more 3G on US side to connect,,and manually select carrier public mobile,

if turning off Roaming option on any device is will be not stops the messages.

that messages is coming from carrier.

T@esjliv wrote:

@Anonymous how will selected 3G/WCDMA ONLY help the OP here?

haha.. I was thinking too.. 

But @Anonymous  just posted the answer a year early.... next year after both T-Mobile and AT&T shutdown the 3G network, the solution will indeed work.  There will be no more 3G on the US side to connect to, so the phone will stays with PM  🙂

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@mrjaygervais wrote:

Hi there,

I am in Sooke on Victoria Island and I am getting non-stop text messages saying roaming is not supported. My phone seems to think I am in USA. Even if my service does not work, I don't mind but these non-stop text messages are extremely annoying. Is there any way to fix this while I am here?

Cheers!

@mrjaygervais  try turning off your Roaming option on your phone device to see if that stops the messages.

Then if you ever travel to the USA and need a Roaming addon, just turn it back on.

Otherwise @softech as you covered.

@Anonymous how will selected 3G/WCDMA ONLY help the OP here?

You must be a very new to resident of “Victoria Island”. Most of us know it as Vancouver Island where the capital city of BC, Victoria is located!

Are you sure the text message you are receiving isn’t “Welcome to the USA”? You are being picked up by a US cell site across the water in WA state. Most likely your service will still work when this happens as it isn’t technically roaming in your scenario.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mrjaygervais 

go to network settings and manually select carrier Public Mobile,

and try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

for android visit Here link ,

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,to refreshing your network,

*what is meant by rebooting the device turn off and turn it back on.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@mrjaygervais   You are close to US border and your phone's automatic network selection  tries to connect to the stronger US signal.

Go into your mobile network  selection setting and change the network from Automatic to Public Mobile manaully.  Once you locked  your network to PM, you shouldn't have that issue.

Android  (could be different with different phones)

1.  From the front screen, tap Apps
  2.  Choose Settings
  3.  Choose Mobile Networks (if your device is running older Android, you might need to choose More Networks, then Mobile Networks)
  4.  Choose Network Operators
  5.  Choose the Network you would like to connect to. (Public Mobile in this case)

iPhone:

1. From the Home screen, tap Settings.
  2. Tap Carrier
  3. Slide the Automatic slider to the off position to start scanning for networks.
  4. Select desired carrier (Public Mobile in this case)
Need Help? Let's chat.