cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone sends and receives texts but not calls.

Brodie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently activated a call and text plan on my Motorola E4. I can send and receive texts just fine, but I cannot send or receive calls. When I attempt to call out the call immediately fails and I get a "No SIM or SIM error" message. When someone tries to call me they are sent immediately to voicemail. 

This is a new number activation, so I wouldn't expect any porting issues. The phone is new and was sold unlocked (though it is a Verizon branded phone). I can't see the SIM card being the issue as I am able to send and recieve text messages just fine. I also double checked my plan and verified that both calling and texting are activated. 

9 REPLIES 9

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@barbarino wrote:

Hi I just ported over and same problem. text works fine. but cant phone anyone and no one can phone me. after i dial there is nothing. then a beep then cuts off.

my phone is a one plus

It may take a few hours after a port is done for everything to work properly.  But you can try the following:

-in your phone's Cellular network settings, manually choose Public Mobile as your Network Operator

- restart your phone

- power off your phone and remove the SIM, then re-insert it

barbarino

Hi I just ported over and same problem. text works fine. but cant phone anyone and no one can phone me. after i dial there is nothing. then a beep then cuts off.

my phone is a one plus

wrote:

Thank you @computergeek541 I will try that out, the phone is a Verizon phone.

I can say from first-hand experience, that this model from Verizon sometimes gets "stuck" in LTE/CDMA or LTE only mode, even when the menu reports "LTE" as the prefered type (which is supposed to allow 3g).   On a side note, this same menu shows something different on-screen if you have the Verizon sim card inserted (something along the lines of "LTE/CMDA prefered").

If this is the exact issue that you are experiencing, and I strongly suspsect that it is, try the following:

Go into the settings area (swipe down from the top of the screen) and tap on the “gear/machinery” icon).   > Select  “More”  > Open up “Cellular networks”   >tap on  “Preferred nework type”

>Tap on LTE preferred  (DO THIS EVEN IF IT ALREADY APPEARS TO BE SELECTED)

Your calls should immediately start working after doing that.

You might have to repeat this step if you ever do a factory reset.  And for some strange reason, this step is only necessary some of the time.    You could do a factory reset right now, and you might not even have to do the above, but if you do another factory reset, you might have to.  I have also noticed that with this Verizon Moto E4 model, that sometimes the calls will start working after a few minutes without using the above procedure.  To me, it seems random, but in every cicumstances that I've encountered, manaually setting/confirming/changing the prefered network type in the menu always gets things working for voice.  This is a clearly a software issue, and to my knowledge, only affects the Verizon-released version of  this phone model.

Brodie

Thank you @computergeek541 I will try that out, the phone is a Verizon phone.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

There's a possibility that the activation glitched and calling is affected.  Try the SIM on another phone and if the problem persists, it might be an activation problem in which case the moderator team can resolve quite easily.  With respect to the possibility of being stuck on LTE, does the connection type show as LTE all the time.  Normally when a call is made, connection changes to 3G.

I'm with @computergeek541 on this one. Your phone is probably stuck on "LTE only" mode.

Brodie

Thank you @Anonymous I've done all those things, and a factory reset as well. I'm beginning to suspect I have a faulty phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brodie, any chance you have either another unlocked phone to try your SIM card in, or another working SIM to try in your phone? 

Are you sure that your phone is fully compatible with the Telus network?  Have you checked https://willmyphonework.net/ to check it's compatibility.

Also, have you tried removing an re-inserting the SIM, and power cycling the phone, just in case.

If everything is in order, and it is still not working, you should send a private message to the moderator team, so they can check it out.  They should be back on-line at 9:00 am (EST).  Be sure to include your account number and PIN.

Click here to send them a private message.
You can find information regarding the moderators team by following this link.

By any chance, is your Moto E4 a Verizon version?  If it is, these devices often need to have the prefered network set in the settings menu.  I would set it to LTE prefered.  Although these devices will say "LTE prefered" right out of the box, I've found that they will not connect to HSPA networks some of the time unless first manually changing and confirming that setting.

Also, I would also try *#*#4636#*#* and check the prefered network setting from there as well.  On that screen, there are options that are not normally available.  Make sure that your phone is NOT set "LTE Only".  You'll want it set to "LTE/UMTS (auto) (PRL)". 

Texts and data will work over LTE, but phone calls will only work over Public Moblie's 3g network.

Need Help? Let's chat.