cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone options?

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

I am thinking of getting my 13-year-old daughter a phone and a cheap $15.00 plan. Just for when we are out of the house and she is babysitting she will have something. 

Does the community have a recommendation for a phone, if it's cheap cool? If not that's fine as well but suggestions on the best phone to use would be great!

Thank you in advance 

Naepalm

10 REPLIES 10

Thank you, everyone, for being so kind and really helping me out with all your suggestions. I will take each of them into account and once I figure out which phone I'll give the solution to that person 🙂

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The only thing against old Samsung phones is there will probably a bunch of stupid Samsung apps that will be installed on it that you can't delete and can't even move to an SD card. So you may eventually run out of storage space faster because of that.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Very good option for kids as they like to text, so it suits them much better than the old 10 plan.

I recently looked through kijiji for a relative who needs replacement for his flip phone and there is a lot older smartphones for $50. I know it's a risk to buy used, BUT mostly newer more powerful phones are targeted. If you go for an older one and check the seller reviews you may be pretty safe or even lucky. I remember seeing loads of Samsung 3/4/5 and iPhones 4/5 (not too many of oldschool phones though) I suggest you enquire about battery and if you do get Android see that they have 5 or later (TextNow won't work in 4 anymore) blackberry needs os10 I believe to work with public mobile

When it comes to network, you need 850mhz and 1900mhz on 3g for talk

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm might be better idea to tell us how much you are willing to spend and then we can make recommendations based on your price range. Stay safe. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Naepalm , check the Umidigi line of phones.  They are great value.  Some are available on Amazon and more options via Aliexpress if you can stomach the shipping time.  I have the A5 pro and F2.  Both are great value.  There has been a lot of past discussion in the community forum about these phones.  

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm Maybe some of your friends/family members have old phones? Otherwise, I can advise cheap Samsung j1/j2/j3. They operate perfectly with PM and are easy to work with.

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Naepalm 

Buying phones now days can be expensive!
I recommend if you have a phone sitting around at your or families' place to use that for the time being. 

You can always test out the phone by putting your Simcard in the other phone to make sure it works before you get a new sim 🙂

I am not sure where you live Kijiji is popular or not

However, where I live "Kijiji.ca" is very popular to buy and sell. 

You could possibly look at there people always sell phones. Just make sure you are buying an unlocked phone 🙂

Cheers

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm wrote:

I am thinking of getting my 13-year-old daughter a phone and a cheap $15.00 plan. Just for when we are out of the house and she is babysitting she will have something. 

Does the community have a recommendation for a phone, if it's cheap cool? If not that's fine as well but suggestions on the best phone to use would be great!

Thank you in advance 

Naepalm

I would start by asking relatives or friends if they have a phone they are not using and would part with it for a cheap price. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm wrote:

Thank you in advance 

Naepalm

Maybe someone you know has an old iPhone 4 or 5 that you can have.

Need Help? Let's chat.