cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number

YuliiaFursa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am new to Canada and I bought a pay as you go sim card. The activation works well. With my new number I can call out to friends and family. But when friends and family call me a different lady answers. I think my number is crossed with another number.

7 REPLIES 7

@JL9 wrote:

Oh wow, how does that even happen. I couldn't even wrap my head how the system chooses who gets incoming and who gets outgoing, you think they would close that loophole - hopefully the new number works out much more smoothly for you!

HI @JL9  the system doesn't have to choose.  Incoming go to the original owner of the number

For outgoing, as long as you have a service with PM , you can always make outgoing calls regardless of the number.  That's why even  before porting was completed, you can make outgoing calls

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Oh wow, how does that even happen. I couldn't even wrap my head how the system chooses who gets incoming and who gets outgoing, you think they would close that loophole - hopefully the new number works out much more smoothly for you!

YuliiaFursa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you that worked

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @YuliiaFursa   Yes, this is a common glitch here.  Not sure why PM try to give out currently assigned number.  This seems have not been a problem for sometimes and I thought they fixed it. 

So, just pick a new number using Change Number.  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@YuliiaFursa 

Just log into your account and change your number. The other "lady" has precedence on the phone number "ownership" and you would eventually have your number changed by Public Mobile anyways. You can change numbers up to 4 times per 30 days.

Already in service numbers should never be available to be chosen by a new customer but for some reason telus has an issue with releasing active numbers into the available numbers pool.

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@YuliiaFursa  - it may be possible you were provided a number that is already in use. This should not happen, but it has in the past.

You can change your number in your self serve yourself and hopefully this fixes your issue.

You can change your phone number up to 4 times every 30 days after you’ve activated.

To change or transfer your number after activation, go to your Self Serve Account here and:

• Select the “Plans and Add ons” tab
  • Click on “Change Phone Number”

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Since your activation have you restarting your phone, and performed a reset of your device's network settings?

If not, maybe try this first.

Or, do you have an iphone and perhaps the number assigned to your phone needs to be de-registered?

If issues persist, submit a ticket to CSA for assistance.

To contact the Public Mobile Customer Support Agent (CSA)_Team, there are two methods to reach them found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@YuliiaFursa, yes that sounds like what has happened.  Since it is a new number you could go into your self-serve and change the number to a new number and give that out to friends and family or you can raise a trouble ticket through the chatbot (link is in my signature) and have them look into the situation.  Personally I think changing your number yourself will be the easiest and quickest remedy to this situation.

Edite to add:  I wanted to add that remember this is a pre-paid service not a pay as you go which is slightlt different.  With pay as you go you pre-pay for a certain amount of minutes/text/data and that can span a longer period than 30 days.  Whereas pre-paid means every 30 days you need to pay for the next 30 days

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.