cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number was spoofed

Emm2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My phone number was stollen and the person is using it as their caller ID and now I’m getting random people calling me asking why I have called them when I haven’t! How do I contact public mobile and get this issue resolved!! 

6 REPLIES 6

So here's the thing, @Emm2 , why are you even answering calls from people who are not on your contact list or whose numbers you don't recognize?

Don't bother.   

By answering them, if these are people looking to market your number to other telemarketing agencies, they'll be able to report to them that you routinely answer calls even from unknown numbers.

Generally, as a rule, don't bother answering unknown callers.   If it's someone who REALLY needed you, they'll leave a message.   If they don't leave a message, it's not worth your time and you'll know they were up to no good.

Johnovich
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That happened to me too, i think the way it works is that they set their caller ID name to be the digits of your phone number.

SunnyJ123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Another thing you could always try as well is the simply change your phone number. If you have a iphone I know for sure you can block callers as well. This has happened to someone I know, so I'd say you could always change your phone number if the number your using isn't super important. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Emm2 

First, NO worry.  This is Caller ID spoofing.  You didn't have anything compromised

On the other hand it is not something you can do or PM can do.  It is happening to many people, and even CRTC has nothing effective to stop this

Sorry, nothing you can do to stop it really.   I always say it is like letter mail.  People can send mail to something else but put your address as the return address.  Not something you can do to stop or not something Canada Post can do or validate

Here are more info on this topic:

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

Emm2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Okay thank you. I have just had 5 calls alone today saying I called these random people when I have’nt so I wasn’t sure if somehow I was hacked or what

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Emm2 

It is call Caller ID spoofing.  

It is "kinda normal" in these days  😞   But , no one have access to your phone or phone number

it pretty much happening to everyone, in all carriers

scammer just make up caller id call people, to fool them with a caller id number look like a real number and not junk calls

nothing you need to do.  

Need Help? Let's chat.