cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number "invalid" on apps

shezbo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

I recently registered with Public and I'm happy with the service, apart from the fact that my number is considered "invalid" by apps like DoorDash and Ticketmaster. I can't register with these services as a result but calls, texts and data are working fine. My number begins (672) 999. I can see that there is a function to change your number here on the site, would you recommed I do this? If so, can anyone give any insight to what kind of number would work for these purposes? 

Or if there is another solution altogether, I'd be very grateful if you could let me know. 

Thanks in advance. 

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Darougar : Yeah it's kinda goofy. You can find it elsewhere of course. I would suggest using the name field to identify the different accounts if you aren't already. That's under the profile and would show on that right side box.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Darougar 

go to your Plan and Add-ons
and Under your will see your Phone Number.

Darougar

Ia m managing a family of phone lines. I need to see phone number on my profile or overview , why public public interface does not show me my phone number? 

shezbo

Thanks all. I changed to a 236 number and it seems to have solved the problem. 

Appreciate your help! 

@shezbo wrote:

Interesting, thanks for this. Changing my number isn't a big deal really, as it's only new. Is there somewhere I can find a list of area codes for Vancouver/BC? Or would that be part of the process here on the site, do you know? 

Check out this wiki.  You can get a more popular area code using number change option.  You have to try early in the morning when used numbers are released for reuse.  Keep trying daily as results will vary day to day.  I was able to help a friend get a 250 area code in the summer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Columbia_area_codes

shezbo

Tried to set up Dingtone, and of course, phone number invalid... Smiley Frustrated

shezbo

@totalUser wrote:

Well if you are not attached to that number you can try, but I heard that there are issues with short code texts in general here, so I'm not sure if they will help. For long time I used dingtone for those things

First I've heard about Dingtone, thanks, I'll give it a go

shezbo

Interesting, thanks for this. Changing my number isn't a big deal really, as it's only new. Is there somewhere I can find a list of area codes for Vancouver/BC? Or would that be part of the process here on the site, do you know? 

Well if you are not attached to that number you can try, but I heard that there are issues with short code texts in general here, so I'm not sure if they will help. For long time I used dingtone for those things

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@shezbo wrote:

Hey, I got it directly from Public via a convenience store in my area. 

@shezboIf changing your number is not a big deal, maybe try and switch to a more recognizable area code / set of numbers.

I see a post from the fido forum in Feb 2019 where it was not launched yet and some with problems of 672-999. Maybe its not recognized as a legit number yet by whatever database these people are using to prevent fraud / disposable numbers.

As an example my Fongo number is no good for any sort of verification purposes, even if a port it over to public mobile or telus or any company it will always be classified as a disposable / free voip number and not work for banks or google verficiation.

shezbo

Hey, I got it directly from Public via a convenience store in my area. 

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@shezbo wrote:

Hi all,

I recently registered with Public and I'm happy with the service, apart from the fact that my number is considered "invalid" by apps like DoorDash and Ticketmaster. I can't register with these services as a result. My number begins (672) 999. I can see that there is a function to change your number here on the site, would you recommed I do this? If so, can anyone give any insight to what kind of number would work for these purposes? 

Or if there is another solution altogether, I'd be very grateful if you could let me know. 

Thanks in advance. 

@shezbo  Did you get this number from public mobile in the first place or port it over from some VOIP company?

Need Help? Let's chat.