cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone down South

FTT
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi , can my daughter use her phone down south?  on her plan she has a bit of data and unlimited international texts.  Apart from using the hotel Wifi, will she be able to use her data, is there an extra charge for being out of the country?

10 REPLIES 10

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

The only option she can do, if she's staying with Public Mobile is to either pick up a SIM card locally and once again, I referred to TextNow as a VOIP she could use over a Data SIM card. Or if her phone can take eSIM, this is $10 USD and she can use TextNow to call you and text her friends back in Canada for free.

Cuba eSIM, from $9.5 | World’s first eSIM store · Airalo

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

She can turn on roaming, it won't do anything because she won't be charged. It just won't work. Why do they make it like that? Only Public Mobile knows 😏

FTT

I see.  So she just needs to bring her cel phone to Cuba, and connect to Wifi there to use the internet.  She does not need to turn on any Roaming in her phone or anything like that

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

That's correct.  She can connect to Wi-Fi.  No data. The international texts and calls are to use FROM Canada to call or text to international countries. 

@FTT wrote:

Yes, I mean Cuba, not the USA.  So she can use the Hotel Wifi but cannot use any data , is that correct? 

What is the unlimited International texting then?  Cuba is international so why cant she text from there to anywhere in the world?

PM only has service in Canada or US with add-on. She can text internationally when she's in Canada. Best to get free TextNow app and call/text for free using her local wifi.

FTT

Yes, I mean Cuba, not the USA.  So she can use the Hotel Wifi but cannot use any data , is that correct? 

What is the unlimited International texting then?  Cuba is international so why cant she text from there to anywhere in the world?

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@FTT by down south, if you are referring to outside of the US such as Mexico, the answer is no. Public Mobile does not work internationally.  She can connect to the hotel's wi-fi for sure.

There are no charges for roaming so she can bring her phone yes. She won't be able to use data, make or receive calls or send texts messages. The international minutes she has is to use while in Canada. 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @FTT 

When heading down to the United States, there are 3 options. 

1. Choose a Canada/US plan that can be used any time in the United States at no extra charge.

2. If you're able to log into her account at home, you may purchase a US Talk/Text add on valued at $15 which lasts 15 days. Or if she really needs data, it's $30 for US Talk/Text/3GB of data. She'll of course need to reboot her phone afterwards and go into her network settings and choose T-Mobile as I've found it the best option while in the US.

3. To be able to make calls, she could alternatively download a VOIP app like TextNow and choose a local number to where you folks live. Granted, she'll only be able to use it on WiFi but let's face it, everywhere you go in the US there is free WiFi. Perhaps she can try this option first for a day or so and see if that works for her as it's free. If not, then a package can be purchased.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@FTT 

no extra charges for anything...except to be able to use her phone while in US, she needs to log in to her PM account using local wifi...then buying one of the 15 Day US Roaming talk/text/data options available there.  Without it, she'll get text messages but she won't be able to respond. Otherwise, there's no danger of getting a huge bill for anything.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @FTT 

no, the international text is to use from Canada and text out

if she needs her data, she needs to buy the roaming add-on first before she can use the service (or if she is there longer than 15 days or she needs a lot more data, she can change to a Canada-US plan)

once she has the add-on purchased, she need to turn on Roaming mobile data on the phone and make sure the phone connects to T-Mobile or AT?&T

Need Help? Let's chat.