cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone compatibility checker needs an update

NoseyNick
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When PM users want to check phone compatibility... Sure they COULD go to 3rd-party sites like https://willmyphonework.net/ but surely THE most official place to check compatibility is on the https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started page ...

Let's try some of Amazon's Best Sellers, in order, and see if they are compatible with PM:

1. Samsung Galaxy A10e 32GB - Not listed (this is NOT the same as an A10, nor listed as a sub-model)
  2. Samsung Galaxy A12 LTE 32GB - Not listed
  3. UMIDIGI A11 (4+128GB) - Not listed
  4. LG Phoenix 5 LM-K300AM - Not listed (this is NOT the same as the original Phoenix)
  5. Samsung Galaxy A11 32GB - Not listed (even though this is a an older, "renewed" phone)
  6. Samsung Galaxy A11 - Not listed
  7. Samsung Galaxy A52 128GB Aura Black - Not listed
  8. Motorola Moto G8 Power  - Not listed
  9. Apple iPhone 8 (renewed) - IS listed, WORKS WITH PM! ... But not interested in apple anyway.
  10. OnePlus 8 Glacial Green​ - Not listed (goes up to the 7 though, so... close?)
  11. Google Pixel 2 XL - IS listed, AND WORKS WITH PM! ... but no headphone socket, not interested
  12. Moto G10 (128GB, 4GB) - not listed (goes up to the G7)
  13. Apple iPhone 7 (Refurb) - WORKS WITH PM! ... but apple, not interested.
  14. Samsung Galaxy A51 - Not listed
  15. UMIDIGI A7S - Not listed
  16. Samsung A11 (32GB, A11, Black) - Not listed

You get the idea... If 13 of the top 16 phones are not even listed, even some of the older refurb models, something is wrong, right?   😕

Is there any way we can help to get this tool updated with some 2020-21 models?

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : Have you used the gsmarena phone finder? Dozens of phones with many of those features from 2021. Let alone older.

@NoseyNick  ..  your wish list.. it's more features oriented than compatibility with PM

Lineage OS.. while they do support many different brands, I suggest you to stay with Samsung/Moto/Google as they seems to come out with OS for those brands quicker and with more model selection

one thing.. Lineage can drop support for any particular model without explaination.. One such example is Note 9 and S9... so, you can be buying a PM compatible phone for LineageOS today and found out tomorrow that they dropped the support... yes, you can still use the existing build.. or some other developers might still keep some updates on it. .but, it's your choice.

3.5mm jack: you are stuck with 2 years old phones if you are stay with the main stream brands

4GB.. reasonable ask.

MicroSD.. this is going away quicker than expect.. and Google phones are off your list

Value for money.. honest. there has been quiet a lot of mid-end phones last years or two

NoseyNick

@Anonymous wrote:

@NoseyNick : But those are features that you want.. that is not what Public Mobile is providing. All this place cares is that you can talk and text and surf. Everything else are phone features. Not service.

So I guess unwritten bullet zero: "Public Mobile Compatibility"?  🤣

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NoseyNick : But those are features that you want.. that is not what Public Mobile is providing. All this place cares is that you can talk and text and surf. Everything else are phone features. Not service.

But I agree...there should be a big-ish line in the checker saying that if you don't see the model listed then we use these frequencies. They show that in the disclaimer but it's not obvious.

NoseyNick

Hi @Dunkman:

Public mobile has different priorities for  improvements in their website and updating the phone compatibility is not on top of their list.

Sure. I'd like to think it was fairly important for new people looking to change carrier to PM, or existing PM customers looking to upgrade their devices though?

Here is the initial announcement for the phone compatitilbity checker:

https://productioncommunity....new-and-improved-phone-compatibility-checker...

You might want to post your list on that thread.  

Great idea! ... however I seem to be unable to post replies there. I'm guessing once a post is "too old" it is locked, probably to reduce spam a bit.

NoseyNick

[...] just too many phones out there and it is not realistic to keep the list updated quick enough

Well this is partly why I was asking if there was any way we (the community) can help keep it up-to-date. It wasn't ONLY a gripe, I was looking to HELP SOLVE it if I can. Does it need some JSON written? What does the back-end look like?

Also, there are phones that not even sold on North America market 

There are. That's absolutely true and totally fair. I should have pointed out the above list was Amazon CANADA's best sellers list.

post the phones you are interested with and there are always someone here willing to help and might even share their experience with the phone on PM

Well, sure, but conversely, it's hard to know what I should be interested in if 80% of what I look at is "not listed" and the others are apple or have no headphone socket.

How about:

• Android. Preferably supported by Lineage https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices and/or crDroid https://crdroid.net/dl.php so I can be less googly, and have options if/when the manufacturer stops providing updates.
  • Proper 3.5mm headphone socket. No dongles. I listen to A LOT of podcasts and can't keep charging bluetooth buds all day.
  • 4GB or preferably more RAM (my current phone has 3GB but is always low)
  • MicroSD. I use a lot of my 128GB sdcard and expect to be able to grow it as/when needed, and also a lifesaver if/when a device dies and I can take a lot of my stuff across already (especially those podcasts)
  • GPS. Compass. Bluetooth. Preferably USB-C,
  • Value for money. I don't mean "cheap", I'm happy to pay for more RAM, CPU, battery life, camera, truly awesome display, or whatever, but not like 2x more dollars for 1.2x more CPU, has to be provably worth the extra money.

... and the above list was, I thought, a good place to start?

... but this was again less about specific phones, and more about fixing the usefulness of PM's tool, not just for me, but for future-me and others looking to join PM and/or upgrade their phones   😐

softech
Oracle
Oracle

I agree PM should review the compatibility list more often.  However there are just too many phones out there and it is not realistic to keep the list updated quick enough.    Also, there are phones that not even sold on North America market 

no worry, post the phones you are interested with and there are always someone here willing to help and might even share their experience with the phone on PM

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would agree that running an up to date phone compatibility checker is low priority given the many online resources available that does the same thing.  Having one is more about showing completeness.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

if want to check the compatible network bands for any phone google it,

Public Mobile frequency bands,

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS). 
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).  

3G = 850 (5), 1900 (2)

4G = 850 (5), 1900 (2), 700 (12/13/17/29), 1700/2100 (4), 2600 (7), 1700/2100 (66)

@NoseyNick 

Public mobile has different priorities for  improvements in their website and updating the phone compatibility is not on top of their list.  

Here is the initial announcement for the phone compatitilbity checker:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Introducing-the-new-and-improved-phone-...

You might want to post your list on that thread.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@NoseyNick wrote:

When PM users want to check phone compatibility... Sure they COULD go to 3rd-party sites like https://willmyphonework.net/ but surely THE most official place to check compatibility is on the https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started page ...

Let's try some of Amazon's Best Sellers, in order, and see if they are compatible with PM:

1. Samsung Galaxy A10e 32GB - Not listed (this is NOT the same as an A10, nor listed as a sub-model)
  2. Samsung Galaxy A12 LTE 32GB - Not listed
  3. UMIDIGI A11 (4+128GB) - Not listed
  4. LG Phoenix 5 LM-K300AM - Not listed (this is NOT the same as the original Phoenix)
  5. Samsung Galaxy A11 32GB - Not listed (even though this is a an older, "renewed" phone)
  6. Samsung Galaxy A11 - Not listed
  7. Samsung Galaxy A52 128GB Aura Black - Not listed
  8. Motorola Moto G8 Power  - Not listed
  9. Apple iPhone 8 (renewed) - IS listed, WORKS WITH PM! ... But not interested in apple anyway.
  10. OnePlus 8 Glacial Green​ - Not listed (goes up to the 7 though, so... close?)
  11. Google Pixel 2 XL - IS listed, AND WORKS WITH PM! ... but no headphone socket, not interested
  12. Moto G10 (128GB, 4GB) - not listed (goes up to the G7)
  13. Apple iPhone 7 (Refurb) - WORKS WITH PM! ... but apple, not interested.
  14. Samsung Galaxy A51 - Not listed
  15. UMIDIGI A7S - Not listed
  16. Samsung A11 (32GB, A11, Black) - Not listed

You get the idea... If 13 of the top 16 phones are not even listed, even some of the older refurb models, something is wrong, right?   😕

Is there any way we can help to get this tool updated with some 2020-21 models?

As my momma used to say..."don't hold your breath".   😷

Need Help? Let's chat.