cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone charges whilst abroad

slhudson23
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I am in the UK I would like to keep my data turned off and just use Whatsapp to communicate with people there and in Canada, whenever I have wifi. However, will my phone still receive texts from Canada during that time, and if so will I be charged? Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

to save the phone battery everyone is suggesting Airplane mode. It will stop searching for the network. When in WiFi, use whatsapp for msgs and voice/video calls. 

If staying in UK for long, buy a local SIM and tether your PM phone to stay connected.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

@slhudson23 

You haven't indicated how long you will be out of Canada for. If it is maybe more than a few weeks it would be worth looking at your renewal dates and potentially switch your plan down to a lower amount of data while away. If you were going for months logically you might schedule a change to the $15 plan while away considering your departure date and renewal dates into the calculation. If just a couple of weeks it may not be worth messing with the plan. Other considerations are whether you are on a currently offered plan as switching away from a grand fathered plan prevents you going back to that plan in the future. And if you are fairly new here you might have perks or promos that expire when you make a plan change. Lots to consider but keep in mind you dont have to stay on the $40 plan while out of Canada for 6 months!

AE_Collector

@slhudson23 wrote:

Airplane mode stops me accessing wifi on my phone

Airplane mode and WiFi are two independent settings/switches.

If you turn airplane mode on it WILL close all other connections (phone, WiFi, Bluetooth) BUT then you go and turn on WiFi and it has to work.

After that you can turn off/on WiFi when needed not touching Airplane mode.

t least that how it works on Moto E4.

something like this

hTideGnow_0-1634660544772.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@slhudson23 : Are you sure you can't turn on wifi in airplane mode? I can. I can turn on all the radios except cellular while in airplane mode.

slhudson23

WHAT?! Mind blown 😮 thanks!

slhudson23

Thanks!

@slhudson23 wrote:

@slhudson23   you should be able to first turn on Airplane mode , then go back and turn on Wifi after

In this case, everything will be off except Wifi

LeePublic

Have a nice trip! 😁

LeePublic

Ah fair enough, you shouldn't have any problem because PM doesn't have any roaming in the UK. Just be mindful it may drain the battery on your phone faster.

slhudson23

LeePublic

You could also keep your phone on Airplane mode while abroad and use wifi to communicate just incase. 😊

slhudson23

Great! Thanks 🙂

LeePublic

No charges becuase PM is prepaid and they don't offer UK roaming packages. (US only when outside of Canada.)

Need Help? Let's chat.