cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call cut off after being on hold for an hour.

ladybearbc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Recently, (read as during the pandemic), I had to call Service Canada - not for UI - and during their many 'options' outline - was told my wait would be over 45 minutes. I called the number at various times during the day, and that was always the time listed. So I decided to plug the phone in, put the phone on speaker and continue on with my chores while I waited.

I passed the 45 minute mark and figured since I had waited that long, I would just continue to wait.

Imagine my surprise when at 60 minutes - my call was disconnected!.  Later in the day, I figured it was just a fluke and wasted another hour of my time to repeat the performance.

Just as an FYI, my phone number is from the west (BC) and I am in Ontario.

so...was the disconnection caused by Public, the towers or Service Canada?

And why ..if it was Public?

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@ladybearbc wrote:

Recently, (read as during the pandemic), I had to call Service Canada - not for UI - and during their many 'options' outline - was told my wait would be over 45 minutes. I called the number at various times during the day, and that was always the time listed. So I decided to plug the phone in, put the phone on speaker and continue on with my chores while I waited.

I passed the 45 minute mark and figured since I had waited that long, I would just continue to wait.

Imagine my surprise when at 60 minutes - my call was disconnected!.  Later in the day, I figured it was just a fluke and wasted another hour of my time to repeat the performance.

Just as an FYI, my phone number is from the west (BC) and I am in Ontario.

so...was the disconnection caused by Public, the towers or Service Canada?

And why ..if it was Public?

Thank you

Phone wait times are brutal right now, I don't think this is just a PM thing, I waited on teh phone with Bell for 3 hours. When I heard a voice on the other side I almost felt like asking them out to dinner.

Really sorry to hear that you had this happen. The best possible thing to do is to talk with SIMon and submit a ticket.

But, my question would be are you concerned you were not able to get through to have your actual question answered by the government or are you concerned about PM service and thinking that this might happen more often?

PM dropped calls are not frequent and depending on your service strength in your area it could have been many factors. 

@iliketotalk wrote:

@will13am hi it's eastlink what is voip nowadays is most goverment services many times in the last few years I have had issues with their calls sometimes the ridiculous echos 

Very few customer really have a land line through copper wires these days.  That system has been pretty much run to failure and then abandon in place.  I have been using big red wireless home phone for almost a decade.  I have never had a disconnect.  The longest calls has been about 3 hours.  If they implement any auto disconnects, it must be longer than 3 hours.

@ladybearbc  your calls shouldn't be cutting off like that. Did you contact the moderators and ask them to to look into it as I suggested above? Thanks.

ladybearbc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Now that I think about it - I have had my calls disconnected before the virus, after about 45 minutes - and not to Service Canada - so I do think there are issues with Public Mobile not liking long calls

@will13am hi it's eastlink what is voip nowadays is most goverment services many times in the last few years I have had issues with their calls sometimes the ridiculous echos 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The forced disconnect feature means it's not going to be very fruitful using this service to call and hold.  The services that are intended for home phone service generally don't have this problem. A lot of if not all cellular plans have this auto cutoff after a certain period of time.  

@iliketotalk , what land line provider do you use?  Is it really a land line or VoIP service?  

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@ladybearbc hi sorry to hear about your disconnect but I feel your pain I was cut off twice in the last week andI have a landline so I doubt if it,s public I figure it's just on their end

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@ladybearbc , the current PM disconnect time seems to be 2 hours 30 minutes. This may be on the service Canada side, since it happened both times at exactly an hour. What plan are you on? Thanks. Stay safe. 

One option would be to contact a moderator and explain your problem and ask them to look into this.

Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one (CLICK on "Account specific question" and  "No I want a human" and "Submit a ticket Click me!")
Once connected, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Also keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

Need Help? Let's chat.