cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone blocking incoming calls from a contact

munroes33
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a Samsung Ultra 22 with a Public Mobile plan. A few days ago, my phone started to spontaneously block incoming calls from my mom. She's programmed as an emergency contact and I make any changes to my settings. When she calls it goes straight to voicemail. Her texts come through with no problems. Everyone else can call with no problems.

I contacted Samsung support and tried the following with them:

- deleting contact and reprogramming

- clearing contact and phone cache

- deleting all phone calls

- double checking her contact isn't blocked (it isn't, and I wouldn't be getting texts if it was)

- restarting phone countless times

Samsung has run out of options and they say it's some kind of problem with the carrier and voicemail. However, I can't find anyone else with this same issue. 

Can anyone help?

8 REPLIES 8

@munroes33 wrote:

She was able to get through using #31# but I don't know what that means! I have already done the trouble shooting with Samsung and they say her number isn't blocked on my phone. This is so frustrating!

Well, if the caller is able to reach you by prefixing #31#, that does seem to confirm that the phone is blocking the call otherwise based on caller ID. If the phone receives a call from your moms number, it is somehow automatically rejecting the call, sending it straight to voicemail. You also indicated she could call through your SIM card when it was installed in another phone, further pointing to your device, and not the Public Mobile service...

Normally this would be as simple as the caller having been added to the blocked callers list on the phone, but as you have indicated you have already been in contact with Samsung support and it seems that this is not the case.

With that in mind, unfortunately the only next troubleshooting step is what @softech suggested, performing a full factory reset of the phone. This is the only way to ensure that absolutely all configuration settings are cleared. Of course, this requires taking all precautions to backup any settings and data...

@munroes33 if all calls come without problem on another phone, it is a device problem and you can save the time from opening ticket.   Suppoet cannot help with device settings problem

I guess your confirmed the number is not set to be blocked.   So, the only way left now is to Reset the phone to factory setup. 

To do so, vackup all your pictures and important things. 

Reset the phone with the PM sim card inside.  DO NOT select to restore any data after phone is reset.  Test the calls first. 

If all calls come through, you can choose to restore data from cloud.  But be aware that the old settings with the blocking could come back down from cloud backup.  I suggest you to just setup the phone again as new instead of from cloud backup

munroes33

She was able to get through using #31# but I don't know what that means! I have already done the trouble shooting with Samsung and they say her number isn't blocked on my phone. This is so frustrating!

munroes33

I tested the sim on another phone and the call went through. I can receive incoming calls from everyone else with no problem.

I tried that link to submit a ticket but all I ended up with was a Chat Bot. The Chat Bot never gave me the option to type anything in or choose "contact."

munroes33

I moved my sim to my husband's iPhone and her call went though no problem, so I believe that eliminates a sim problem?

Along with testing the SIM in another phone as @Yummy suggested, as an additional troubleshooting step to help check that the phone is not blocking based on the callers number you can try having your mom call with caller ID blocked.

If she is calling from a landline, have her try calling by prefixing *67 before your number.

if she is calling from a mobile phone, have her try calling by prefixing #31# before your number.

This will cause the incoming call to show as "Anonymous" or "Private" which might bypass a blocked caller setting for her actual number if configured somewhere...

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

If you can, try your SIM in another phone to eliminate SIM issues. If calls are coming through in another phone then some setting on your current phone blocks your mom's calls.

Maybe you have accidentally create call forward for that particular number?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @munroes33 you have another phone to test if it is device or sim?

and you receive incoming calls from other without problem?

yes maybe you can submit ticket for support to investigate as well

at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

First type Contact,
then select the only choice there: "Contact..",
from the list of , choose "Other"
finally click link the blue link about submit a ticket
Another page will open and just follow: .

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can open ticket by private message (but this can take longer):

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.