cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Service/Public While Abroad (France, Europe)

socialserviette
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello All, 

I am going to France/Europe and will need to get a phone plan there. What is the recommended process for that? I don't want to lose my loyalty rewards or my plan with public if I can.

I have read a bit about dual sims/nano sims, but would appreciate some input from the community here! I don't need to buy a new phone, do I? I would be open to bringing an old iPhone of ours that isn't used, or buying a cool, cheap, vintage, flip/bare-bones phone. 

Kindly!

S

15 REPLIES 15

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@socialserviette 

Since you are already on the cheapest plan pm has ever offered I suggest you use the #6 suggestion below but obviously keeping your $10 plan. Don't worry call forwarding does not use your minutes up on the $10 50/50 plan. With your loyalty and autopay rewards you will only be paying $6/30 days and keep your loyalty reward ticking down to towards $3/30days. This way you still be able to recieve your incoming pm calling while abroad. If you wanted to you could also use a text forwarding app but that would require you to keep your sim card in a working phone that is kept charged and powered on and in Canada while away.

Here is some info on local sim card plans in France....

https://www.traveltomtom.net/destinations/europe/france/best-prepaid-sim-card-in-france

Options for your account and service....

1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your fongo number. Be sure to perform all call forwarding while in Canada. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your fongo number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your fongo voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels!

So you are on the $10 plan not the $15 plan. $10 plan is no longer available so if you mess up with suspending and reactivating, that plan is gone for good and likely your number is as well.

You are paying $8 or less plus tax so I would simply keep it going, keep your credit card set up and it wall carry on… (hopefully)! You could let it run out by removing payment methods as already mentioned. Then renew at about 85 days in suspension. 30 days later it suspends again for another 85 days. But the chances of messing up and having it fully expire are pretty good. 

AE_Collector

@socialserviette wrote:

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Yes I don't think my phone (iPhone 6s) is dual sim, sadly.

1. So if I'm understanding correctly: if i remove the SIM and just start a cheap plan abroad, i will either have to keep paying monthly to ensure my public plan continues when I'm back, or just sacrifice my rewards (currently $2 loyalty) and #number? Honestly don't see keeping my number as too too important, although would be nice? The $2 is forgetable.

2. Maybe dumb question, but this would mean then that if I take the SIM card out, Public doesn't know that it is not being used as long as I continue to pay monthly?

3. Isn't there a pay as you go PM plan which I could transfer my phone to, which might be cheaper than the 10$ plan I'm on now?

Best!

S

@socialserviette 

It does not matter what you do with your SIM card while you are away. You will be unable to use your services in your destination.

What is important is that you do not go into Suspended non-pay status for more than 90 days or you will lose your account (grandfathered...you can't get this one back as it is not available at this time), your phone number and any available funds, and rewards.

So, you could not pay on the next renewal OR list your phone into lost/stolen status, but need to reactivate before the 90 day is up.

Since you are away for over 90 days, see some related articles:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/what-happens-when-you-miss-a-payment

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/lost-or-stolen-phone

fyi, I do like @hairbag1 's idea to keep it simple as well. You would be paying $10 (less rewards) per 30 days to keep everything going, if you keep your account loaded with funds, OR ensure Autopay is working for you.

So your choice here.

@socialserviette wrote:

Yes I don't think my phone (iPhone 6s) is dual sim, sadly....Nope, it's not dual sim.

1. So if I'm understanding correctly: if i remove the SIM and just start a cheap plan abroad, i will either have to keep paying monthly to ensure my public plan continues when I'm back, or just sacrifice my rewards (currently $2 loyalty) and #number? Honestly don't see keeping my number as too too important, although would be nice? The $2 is forgetable....if you wish to keep your current plan, follow previous instruction regarding Autopay set-up.

2. Maybe dumb question, but this would mean then that if I take the SIM card out, Public doesn't know that it is not being used as long as I continue to pay monthly?...PM doesn't know or care if you use it or not. 30 days service is what they provide.

3. Isn't there a pay as you go PM plan which I could transfer my phone to, which might be cheaper than the 10$ plan I'm on now?....Nope...the $10 plan you're on is not even available right now. I'd advise you to continue with Autopay if you wish to keep that plan.

Best!

S

@socialserviette wrote:

1. So if I'm understanding correctly: if i remove the SIM and just start a cheap plan abroad, i will either have to keep paying monthly to ensure my public plan continues when I'm back, or just sacrifice my rewards (currently $2 loyalty) and #number? Honestly don't see keeping my number as too too important, although would be nice? The $2 is forgetable.

Yes, you would simply be paying $11 ($2 loyalty + $2 autopay discounts) each cycle

2. Maybe dumb question, but this would mean then that if I take the SIM card out, Public doesn't know that it is not being used as long as I continue to pay monthly?

Yes, just remove your PM SIM card and leave it safely in Canada, to be reinserted when you return.

3. Isn't there a pay as you go PM plan which I could transfer my phone to, which might be cheaper than the 10$ plan I'm on now?

Nope, if you're paying $10/cycle now that's about the best you can do.  (unless you do the more labor-intensive suspend/expire process, which some may find onerous)

Best!

S

darkomega
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@socialserviette wrote:

Best!

S

No there isn't a cheaper plan than that, there isn't even a 10$ plan that's in market, honestly keep that plan active, that's a good grandfathered plan.

socialserviette

Best!

S

@socialserviette wrote:

thanks!

I'm away for 6-8 months, unfortunately, would you have any differing advice for that?

If you want to keep your existing PM number...before going abroad, you could lower your PM plan to cheapest plan which currently is $15 / 30 days service. Then make sure you have credit card set to Autopay and it'll just renew every 30 days, automatically. There's other strategies...but I like to keep it simple.

@socialserviette wrote:

thanks!

I'm away for 6-8 months, unfortunately, would you have any differing advice for that?

Here's what I'd do @socialserviette 

Firstly, get a local, prepaid SIM card wherever you're going and use the service that way in the device you'll be bringing.

Now, to retain your PM service:

• Remove any auto-pay you may have and let your Public Mobile plan 'expire'. (if you have available funds, place it in Lost/Stolen mode as PM will take from the available funds to cover renewal cycles)
  • On day 85 AFTER expiry, renew it  (do online) to the $15.00 plan being the minimal plan cost available
  • After it renews, allow it to expire again at the end of the 30 days then it'll go into 'suspension mode' again for up to another 90 days
  • rinse, repeat, until you're back in Canada

This will cost you maybe $30 MAX to retain your PM plan.

Alternatively, if you want to keep it simple, simply change plans to the $15.00 plan, then enjoy your time away.

socialserviette

I'm not going to the U.S., and Wi-Fi calling works for apps like Facebook Messenger, so no need for those other two apps, although thanks for mentioning them.

Unless I'm missing something? I'm not fully understanding your message.

socialserviette

thanks!

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

PM only offers roaming to the USA. No other countries. I would recommend you drop your plan to the lowest plan before going away if you're going for more than a month, unless you have a promotional data plan, then disregard the above.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@socialserviette...once you leave Canada, your PM service will stop. You should get a local sim and a cheap plan for use while away. If your phone is dual sim...just use second sim in second slot. Otherwuise just remove PM sim and install foreign sim.

Make sure to re-up your PM plan before 90 days after current renewal expires.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@socialserviette wrote:

Hello All, 

I am going to France/Europe and will need to get a phone plan there. What is the recommended process for that? I don't want to lose my loyalty rewards or my plan with public if I can.

I have read a bit about dual sims/nano sims, but would appreciate some input from the community here! I don't need to buy a new phone, do I? I would be open to bringing an old iPhone of ours that isn't used, or buying a cool, cheap, vintage, flip/bare-bones phone. 

Kindly!

S

You will need to get a plan over there.  Depending on how long you are traveling you can let your plan expire and sit in suspension for just under 90 days before it is closed.  So if you are going for less than that you won't have any issues and can save money by just removing autopay and letting the line get suspended

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@socialserviette 

public mobile offer service only to U.S. Roaming.

and anywhere has a Wi-Fi Free,

and use a app Textme or Talkatone, and you will getting new canadian number for Free from that app,

• Unlimited Call \ SMS \ MMS a Free USA/Canada.

Here link for app Talkatone.

Here link for app Text Me.

or 

Amazon.ca : SIM Card is Triple

enjoy your trip..

don't forget to review  Reactivate a suspended plan (publicmobile.ca)

Need Help? Let's chat.